ALC in BOS Day Two

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Day two time everybody!

Woke up and mom wasn't feeling so hot but like a trooper she went with us to BON to board the Downeaster. It is a real pity that you can't take decent photos out of AFI windows so instead of the gear I focused on the people around the gear today.

Today's Downeaster consist was the first time I have been in an AFI for awhile-- I wondered if I was going to fit (I had since gained a little extra weight) but I was pleased that I was comfortable and that my mother was too. She commented that the AFI seating was much better than a plane and even better than the Talgo BC. (Score for me!)

The ride to Portland was relaxing and was informative. Anthony, Rafi and I had a real Kodak moment when the Engineer came out of the back of the engine to the café car-- walking right passed us. We all looked at each other and said "Hm, we must be stopped," before the train continued to move.

... The looks on our faces was priceless. "Does this thing have auto-pilot?"

When we got to Portland we found a lone AFI and two P42s back-to-back parked next to the platform. A lot of us (LongTrainRunnin', Patrick, Chuljin, Alice and myself) went for the photo op.

Here is a shot of the Downeaster set and the two parked power units, as well as a picture of Chris having a hard time with the sea-side wind:

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

The trip back to BON gave me time to think and grab shuteye as well as get ready for tomorrow. We had dinner at the Beer Works which was a DISASTER. The food was, in my opinion very good-- and the custom sodas were great for people who didn't drink beer but the service was... well, what is the point of having a party room if you aren't properly staffed to throw a party? And how dare that manager say to one of our members that not tipping the service staff was okay-- that's management passing the buck right there on to the service staff. Where was the manager in all of this? Nowhere to be found. I hope that people will realize who the true culprits are and take appropriate action. Wait staff alone could not have screwed it up that badly-- it takes more than cooks to spoil the broth-- it takes a Chef too!

A couple of shorts from the Beer Works, MrFSS, GG-1, and amtrakwolverine:

DSC_0019.jpg

And the ever-wise Bill Haithcoat:

DSC_0026.jpg

When we came back to our hotels Chuljin and I went down to Boston Bowl for three sets. We learned that we have a TON in common-- mainly that in three games neither of us could bowl a 100. (Though he had a 95). He gets a strike in the first picture, I have to settle for a spare in the next frame. Tough luck for me!

11042_199347275518_667400518_449956.jpg

11042_199347285518_667400518_449956.jpg

Fun tomorrow with the gang and then Chuljin, mom and me on the USS Constitution, Sky Gods be gentle on the weary travelers!

Full set of pictures HERE!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to get to meet you Micah, did you guys try Candlepin Bowling or just stick to 10 pin? If you didnt try candlepin you missed a unique sport thats mostly in Boston. Anyway hope you had a good time this weekend hope to see you again at another gathering in the future.

Jack

The dinner at Beer Works was A-OK for those of us on the other side of the room (with a different waiter)! So sorry you folks got the short end of the stick. Hope it didn't taint an otherwise problem-free weekend. :)

Jack we stuck to ten-pin mostly because we were bad at that-- no reason to start a new game to figure out we're bad in that too! Though I think Chuljin will come along and add his two-cents.

Yeah I don't know Anthony, I was literally the last check out the door--

The dinner at Beer Works was A-OK for those of us on the other side of the room (with a different waiter)! So sorry you folks got the short end of the stick. Hope it didn't taint an otherwise problem-free weekend. :)
Funny that the Joe's Grill was a disaster for me- inexperienced waiter with lack of overdrive gear. Experienced waiter served us in an excellent way for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back