alcohol in coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

matt

im leaving from new haven and traveling to wilmington on the regional in coach class. I am visiting college friends and would like to pregame before I get there, I know on metro north trains you can drink in the open. What is the rule on amtrak trains, and if i am not allowed to bring my own liquor what type of beer do they serve in the cafe car.

thanks for the help

Not sure about back east, but western trains pretty well shut down drinking in coach. Too many kids. You could purchase drinks in the lounge car, but not sure if you could get away with your own bottle. About the only place you could bring your own would be in a sleeper, and that has to be discrete.

The lounge car serves beer, wine, and premium spirits. You may consume them in the lounge car. They typically have Sam Adams, Bud, and Bud Light along with several imports.

If you become drunk to the point of bothering other passengers, you should know the conductor has the authority to not only put you off the train but have you arrested in whatever locality you're put off in.

I don't plan on getting "wasted" I just wanted to have a few to catch up to the other guys once I get there...

I don't plan on getting "wasted" I just wanted to have a few to catch up to the other guys once I get there...
Bring a twenty, and stick to the lounge car and you should be fine. Remember to return to your seat before your stop so you can be sure to be directed off the train.

About the only place you could bring your own would be in a sleeper, and that has to be discrete.
No need to be discrete in your sleeper, alcohol is perfectly OK there.

It is strictly verboten in coach however (unless you're buying it and consuming it in the club car). That said, if you bring on a cooler w/ some 20oz bottles of coke that have had some of the coke removed and replaced with rum, as long as you're not a fool about it and reeking of booze, you're likely to be OK.

It is strictly verboten in coach however (unless you're buying it and consuming it in the club car).
Is that right? Wow, never knew that. I knew they sold alcohol in the cafe cars...always assumed people could bring it back to their seats.

It is strictly verboten in coach however (unless you're buying it and consuming it in the club car).
Is that right? Wow, never knew that. I knew they sold alcohol in the cafe cars...always assumed people could bring it back to their seats.
People can indeed bring alcohol purchased in the cafe car/dining car back to their seats. You just can't drink your own private stock in coach, it must be purchased from Amtrak.

About the only place you could bring your own would be in a sleeper, and that has to be discrete.
No need to be discrete in your sleeper, alcohol is perfectly OK there.

It is strictly verboten in coach however (unless you're buying it and consuming it in the club car). That said, if you bring on a cooler w/ some 20oz bottles of coke that have had some of the coke removed and replaced with rum, as long as you're not a fool about it and reeking of booze, you're likely to be OK.

I was thinking that already I was just looking for maybe a legal way of doing it. oh well

People can indeed bring alcohol purchased in the cafe car/dining car back to their seats. You just can't drink your own private stock in coach, it must be purchased from Amtrak.
You're quite right - I'm not sure how that "and consuming it" slipped in there. May have had something to do with the tasty beverages I'm consuming tonight! :)

Matt, as far as a legal way of doing it, grab a couple of beers on the train, you'll at least have a start by the time you get there.

As long as you are discreet you shouldn't have problems bringing your own in coach. Yes, it is against the rules, but if you keep it out of sight they are not going to bother you. I can't sleep well in coach so if I am overnighting in coach I bring my own liquor to put me to sleep. I mix it with soft drinks, put it away and drink from the cup. Never had any trouble on the Crescent. If you want to bring your own just keep it discreet (brown bagging doesn't count) and stay well behaved.

Although you are not supposed to, if the brand of beer is the same as the type they sell - and if it is the cans are the same, you may get along with it. As long as you don't have (say) bottles of Bud while they only sell cans, or a brand that is not sold aboard, they may not question it. (But again they may.)

I still would buy it aboard.

The lounge car serves beer, wine, and premium spirits. You may consume them in the lounge car. They typically have Sam Adams, Bud, and Bud Light along with several imports.
If you become drunk to the point of bothering other passengers, you should know the conductor has the authority to not only put you off the train but have you arrested in whatever locality you're put off in.
On my recent trips on the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight, conductors' announcement have been quite terse in warning that anyone (except those in sleepers) caught consuming alcohol not purchased from the lounge car stand to be put off the train at the next stop. Some are suggesting that coach passengers who are discrete can get away with consuming private stock in their seats (e.g. by mixing it with soda in pop bottles). That might work, but if you are observed doing the mixing, you certainly would be at risk. Also consider that the risk is not only observation by Amtrak personnel but by fellow passengers who may object to alcohol consumption and complain. There may be stigma to being put off the train beyond inconvenience, expense and arrest risk. My guess is that just like the airlines, your name may go into the Amtrak data base as a problem passenger and you may have problems booking in the future.

Okay, thanks, that's what I thought!

On NJ Transit, one is allowed to bring and consume alcohol aboard the train. However, when I went to Philly with a group of friends, we assumed SEPTA had the same policy and discovered that not to be the case, when an irate conductor told us to get rid of the beer we had brought on board!

Some are suggesting that coach passengers who are discrete can get away with consuming private stock in their seats (e.g. by mixing it with soda in pop bottles). That might work, but if you are observed doing the mixing, you certainly would be at risk.
My suggestion was premixing, certainly doing that on the train would be quite foolish. Other than smelling the alcohol, as long as you aren't an idiot about things, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never had the opportunitiy to do this on Amtrak, but it's worked nicely in several other situations.

My guess is that just like the airlines, your name may go into the Amtrak data base as a problem passenger and you may have problems booking in the future.
I've never heard of anything to suggest that such a database exists.

Edit to add: To add to the discussion on the NEC commuter services, open consumption is permitted on the MARC, so long as you're not disruptive to other passengers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some are suggesting that coach passengers who are discrete can get away with consuming private stock in their seats (e.g. by mixing it with soda in pop bottles). That might work, but if you are observed doing the mixing, you certainly would be at risk.
My suggestion was premixing, certainly doing that on the train would be quite foolish. Other than smelling the alcohol, as long as you aren't an idiot about things, it shouldn't be a problem. I've never had the opportunitiy to do this on Amtrak, but it's worked nicely in several other situations.

My guess is that just like the airlines, your name may go into the Amtrak data base as a problem passenger and you may have problems booking in the future.
I've never heard of anything to suggest that such a database exists.

Edit to add: To add to the discussion on the NEC commuter services, open consumption is permitted on the MARC, so long as you're not disruptive to other passengers.
You may be right on the "blacklist". I have heard about airline practices regarding passengers who violate rules in the media. Just assumed Amtrak might do the same.

I was riding the Pacific Surfliner from LAX to IRV in May. A guy got on maybe around Anaheim heading to San Diego. He had a cooler with a 6 pack of High Life, a beer they don't sell in the Snack Car. Was clearly drinking it in the open, even spoke with the staff while drinking it, and they didn't say a word about it (not that I care). Just seems to depend who is working and if they want to bug you about it.

That was the thing I know Metro North dosn't care about drinking on board and I figured as long as I don't make a disturbance and sit next to somebody my age I should be ok.

im leaving from new haven and traveling to wilmington on the regional in coach class. I am visiting college friends and would like to pregame before I get there, I know on metro north trains you can drink in the open. What is the rule on amtrak trains, and if i am not allowed to bring my own liquor what type of beer do they serve in the cafe car.
thanks for the help
Direct from Amtrak's Website:

Alcoholic Beverages

Beverage service

We serve alcoholic beverages onboard trains in most Dining, Lounge and Cafe Cars.

Private stock

You may bring aboard your own private stock of alcoholic beverages subject to the following limitations:

You may consume private stock alcoholic beverages only in Sleeping Car accommodations for which you have a valid ticket.

You may not consume private stock alcoholic beverages in any public areas.

That should end any debate or questions other than is it really enforced. I would not chance it for you may find yourself in a very remote area waiting for a friend to come pick you up.

I just want to say one thing about bringing your own stock into coaches~ NO, NO and NO !!!! YOU may not get belligerent but someone seated close to you could start a rumble that your boozed up ego may feel that you have to join. Moral of the story; two people in jail and two empty seats in coach. Been there and seen many dragged off in cuffs even when they were not bothering a soul.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want to say one thing about bringing your own stock into coaches~ NO, NO and NO !!!! YOU may not get belligerent but someone seated close to you could start a rumble that your boozed up ego may feel that you have to join. Moral of the story; two people in jail and two empty seats in coach. Been there and seen many dragged off in cuffs even when they were not bothering a soul.
seems like drunken fighting you would get thrown off and arrested no matter if it was BYOB or purchased from the cafe car.

seems like drunken fighting you would get thrown off and arrested no matter if it was BYOB or purchased from the cafe car.
I don't see anything wrong with that. If people are going to get drunk and into fights I'd rater not be on the same train as them. Someone having a quiet drink is another matter - after all thats one of the reasons to take Amtrak over driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back