Aldermen seek O'Hare express train to Union Station, McCormick Pla

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clever. Midwest HSRA realized that for some reason politicians love airport rail links, so they've managed to make a proposal which has an airport rail link, but is actually useful for a lot more than just the airport.

Shawn: the long-term proposal is to run a branch directly into the airport. However, the "interim" proposal is, indeed, to extend the people-mover.

Look at the brochure:

http://www.midwesthsr.org/crossrail-chicago

Apparently the people-mover is being extended to a new rental car center which is next to the existing Metra tracks.

I wonder if McPier is requesting this. I don't really see a huge call for this at the moment. Most conventioneers arrive in groups and get a coach to their hotels directly from the airport and then from the hotel to McCormick, possibly via the busway from the loop. The big local event there is the Auto Show and MED makes extra stops (and there are several bus routes at the west doors as it is) so an airport connection doesn't make sense for that, other than for NW suburbanites, though if 18th street could be a stop as well, Soldier Field events and the Museum Campus could be served.

At a more basic level to run express trains via the subway from O'Hare requires additional tracks and I'm not exactly sure how the connection between the red and blue lines was supposed to work - I think it just broke the four station long platform on the red line and through a tunnel over to the blue line or something like that. Equally fraught and complicated for Metra do to that too since there needs to be new track, probably in tunnel, to connect quickly (remnants of private companies having built the various stations and routes).

And we really have other more urgent transit needs around Chicago that should be done first (and if you are a doomsday person, the "looming pension crisis") and I don't see this happening without massive federal support. I hope this isn't a prelude to another push for the "third airport" in Peotone.

Read the proposal again. It's basically a proposal to hook the Metra Milwaukee Lines into the Metra Electric Line, which would relieve a lot of the overcrowded local traffic in the Loop.

I don't see "crossrail" happening anytime in the foreseeable future. The city hasn't been able to actually get the Red Line extension funded for the CTA so doing something with Metra, especially this complicated and expensive, seems unrealistic (and since CN has done a lot of work on the tracks over the past two or three years, they aren't close to abandoning it). From the Tribune article they essentially just passed a resolution "endorsing" the Crossrail concept, not actually formalizing it or adopting it in anything other than concept from what I can see. The comments on the Trib's site are inane though (as always). We'll also scream bloody murder on the South Side if they divert trains from the loop - Union Station isn't as convenient as the three current downtown stations. Though adding trains for more frequency via Union or a connection at McCormick could be useful.

Back