All roads lead to Flagstaff...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caravanman

Engineer
Landing in Blanding, Utah, after an outstanding drive from Grand Junction, I was delighted to secure a nice room at a budget price. I soon realised why it was so cheap, the walls and floors were paper thin! I asked one neighbour to turn off his bathroom extractor fan as the thing was vibrating like a drill in the next room, then after lights out, a dumb moron came into the room above and proceeded to fall asleep with the t.v. on at a loud volume... I got to sleep about 3am... not such good value after all!

Porridge and banana for breakfast, with a cuppa tea, and I was ready to face the road... a big day for me, I was due to meet up with "Greatcats", an A.U. member in Flagstaff.

Heading south, I took a left turn off the 191 onto 95, following my scenic route map markings. Another left, onto 261 brought quite a surprise after a distance... the normal tarmac road came to an abrupt halt and I was faced with the most steep twisty gravel road descending from this great height down onto the plain far below. The views were stunning from such a height, I am not afraid of driving, but I was very pleased indeed to reach the bottom. Going up, I guess it would feel less dodgy, descending, I was concerned that the brakes may cause a skid on the loose dusty gravel.

Further on, I joined road 163, which took me through Monument Valley. Camera out every few miles, but to be honest, I felt the scenery seen yesterday between Cisco and Moab was an easy match for that of Monument Valley.

DSCF3706.JPG

I took another small diversion to the Navajo National Monument, seeing some different rock formations, and now on the 160 through Tuba City and left onto the 89, south to Flagstaff.

I was surprised to see an overhead electric train wire out in the middle of nowhere, I found out later that it was a Navajo run freight only line.

DSCF3719.JPG

Following Mr Greatcats precise directions, I found his house easily. I sat around muttering under my breath about him being a bit late, only to later realise that my clocks were on the wrong time zone, and it was me who was an hour early!

A Few more pics:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10152760467654120.1073741849.682004119&type=1&l=3ab0655677

To be continued.

Ed.

No, I was wide awake! He was the one getting sleepy. I want to read his impressions of where I took him. I think he got bang for the pound - er - buck. My cats seemed to like him!

Back