Almost got away with a steal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trogdor

BURNiNATOR
This morning, I called AGR to redeem points for a future trip. Since I've never ridden in a bedroom before (too much money to be worth it for me), I figured I'd spoil myself this once and book a bedroom using points.

When I got the confirmation e-mail, it said that I was deducted 20,000 points for a Roomette/Accessible Bedroom. Instead of calling Amtrak with my reservation number to check what room I had, I (foolishly, in retrospect) called AGR, thinking that the agent must have booked my room incorrectly.

Nope. It turns out I was booked in room B, but the second agent discovered that the first one had incorrectly charged me the roomette rates for the bedroom reservation, and had to change it.

I could've had a 30,000-point (or $1500) room for 20,000 points, but noooooo, I had to open my big mouth.

This morning, I called AGR to redeem points for a future trip. Since I've never ridden in a bedroom before (too much money to be worth it for me), I figured I'd spoil myself this once and book a bedroom using points.
When I got the confirmation e-mail, it said that I was deducted 20,000 points for a Roomette/Accessible Bedroom. Instead of calling Amtrak with my reservation number to check what room I had, I (foolishly, in retrospect) called AGR, thinking that the agent must have booked my room incorrectly.

Nope. It turns out I was booked in room B, but the second agent discovered that the first one had incorrectly charged me the roomette rates for the bedroom reservation, and had to change it.

I could've had a 30,000-point (or $1500) room for 20,000 points, but noooooo, I had to open my big mouth.
If it is any consolation, it probably would have been caught.

But, maybe not. I once used miles to upgrade a domestic air round trip to First for myself and my wife. But the airline only deducted one 20,000 mile charge. I got to the airport, was checking in, and the clerk saw the error. She smiled, printed the boarding passes, and said she hoped the clerk on the return did not notice. He didn't (or he also let it go). Little victories.

Back