Am I cutting it to close?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Monday 12/29 I am planning on catching Amtrak Train 2150 to Boston from New York Penn Station I am planning on taking New Jersey Transit into NYP the train that I am looking at gets me to NYP at 7:36 which I feel I can trust will be close to on time as they usually come with in one or two minutes. So the timetable show 2150 arriving at NY at 7:45 AM and departing at 8:03 so my question is the train wont leave before 8:03 right so even if i get to NYP a few minutes late I will still be able to board 2150. I will have no baggage just my person, so I don't have to worry about being slowed down by that. So in your opinions am I cutting it to close or do you think I will make it. Thanks.

Idk if it matters but and after thought Ill be riding the NJT North Jersey Coast Line from Little Silver

Well I sure wouldn't want to be that close, personally I would never try for something under a half an hour and usually allow an hour in part because I like to relax in the Club Acela. But most likely you'll be ok as long as there are no troubles with service into NYP from NJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Monday 12/29 I am planning on catching Amtrak Train 2150 to Boston from New York Penn Station I am planning on taking New Jersey Transit into NYP the train that I am looking at gets me to NYP at 7:36 which I feel I can trust will be close to on time as they usually come with in one or two minutes. So the timetable show 2150 arriving at NY at 7:45 AM and departing at 8:03 so my question is the train wont leave before 8:03 right so even if i get to NYP a few minutes late I will still be able to board 2150. I will have no baggage just my person, so I don't have to worry about being slowed down by that. So in your opinions am I cutting it to close or do you think I will make it. Thanks.

Idk if it matters but and after thought Ill be riding the NJT North Jersey Coast Line from Little Silver
As long as your NJT arrives on or close to on-time, you should be fine. The Acela will not leave before the scheduled 8:03 departure, but the key is to be at NYP when boarding starts. That is the when the free-for-all for seats takes place. If you end up just making the train, which was boarded five or so minutes earlier, seating may be at a premium.

So far in December, Acela 2150 has a 100% on-time rate into New York (14 minute tolerance) with average arrival less than a minute late and the latest train arriving NYP 11 minutes late. Expect 2150 to leave NYP on-time. The train has been operating into Boston 72% on time, with a average of 10 minutes late and the latest train 37 minutes late.

For future reference, the cost for Acela to Boston is exactly the same from either Newark or New York. Coming from NJ, you might want to consider boarding in Newark next time. The advantage is that once the train gets to New York, it virtually empties. That gives you the chance to change seats to exactly the one you want before the New England-bound mob boards at NYP. Boarding at NYP, you are part of the mob. If you are in First Class, boarding at Newark precludes lounge use (there is none), but I have not warmed-up the the Amtrak lounges anyway, so that is no loss in my viewpoint.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its cutting it too close. But I am always early-early for everything.

I have never seen any advantage in arriving just in time, but if your comfortable with it go for it. :rolleyes:

While I agree leaving early would be better so I have more time I am already looking at a 5:00 AM start not to mention there is only one earlier train. I just hope I am there early enough to hear the Now arrive and whatever gate what ever track Amtrak Acela Express 2150 with service to... then proceed to try and get ahead in the madness.

You don't need to hear the announcement, just find a TV monitor and look for the track number.
True, but hearing it will make me more relaxed knowing that 2150 didn't beat me to NYP idk I guess I'm weird like that lol
Hearing the announcement doesn't mean that 2150 didn't beat you to NYP. Remember, the train typically arrrives anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes before they announce its ready for boarding. They use that extra time to unload passengers, restock food supplies, change the crew, and what not. This is why every train has at least 15 minutes dwell built into the schedule.

You don't need to hear the announcement, just find a TV monitor and look for the track number.
True, but hearing it will make me more relaxed knowing that 2150 didn't beat me to NYP idk I guess I'm weird like that lol
Hearing the announcement doesn't mean that 2150 didn't beat you to NYP. Remember, the train typically arrrives anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes before they announce its ready for boarding. They use that extra time to unload passengers, restock food supplies, change the crew, and what not. This is why every train has at least 15 minutes dwell built into the schedule.
Oh, so by the time I hear the now arriving announcement the train is already there. Wow, lol that actually sense. The true nerve racking part will be if we come to unexpected stop and if we can get through the tunnel okay. But, I feel I can do it so I guess now would be a good time to ask. Lets say I miss the train? I already have my tickets printed so what options does that leave me?

Lets say I miss the train? I already have my tickets printed so what options does that leave me?
You're in trouble. If there is space available, and assuming that the next Acela gets to Boston in time for you to catch your return train, you may be able to get on that train, but you'll have to pay the current bucket. And if that scenario isn't practical, then you've most likely forfeited your first class fare, since you failed to cancel one hour before departure. You certainly won't get it refunded; perhaps you can get it in the form of a voucher.

And since you'll want a voucher for the railfare portion anyhow, otherwise you'll pay the 10% refund penalty that might help.

Lets say I miss the train? I already have my tickets printed so what options does that leave me?
You're in trouble. If there is space available, and assuming that the next Acela gets to Boston in time for you to catch your return train, you may be able to get on that train, but you'll have to pay the current bucket. And if that scenario isn't practical, then you've most likely forfeited your first class fare, since you failed to cancel one hour before departure. You certainly won't get it refunded; perhaps you can get it in the form of a voucher.

And since you'll want a voucher for the railfare portion anyhow, otherwise you'll pay the 10% refund penalty that might help.
Could I re-ticket on to the next regional using what the rail fare costed me, paying the difference if any between the two. Since there is no Aclea that would get me there in time to catch my return. Understanding that accom. charge would most likely be then wasted at that point.

Could I re-ticket on to the next regional using what the rail fare costed me, paying the difference if any between the two. Since there is no Aclea that would get me there in time to catch my return. Understanding that accom. charge would most likely be then wasted at that point.
Sure you can reticket to a Regional. Just make sure that if Amtrak owes you any money that you get it in a voucher, as you'll loose 10% if you take a refund. And again, not sure what might happen regarding the FC fare.

Yes, but again at the current bucket.

A few weeks ago, I took an AE up to BOS. It arrived early, and there was an earlier Regional that I could have made. However, when I checked the fare, I decided to keep my later res. The earlier train was (I think) high bucket, and for 2 was (IIRC) something like $120! :eek: My res in 2 1/2 hours cost $32! :)

Note that on Monday, 12/29 (and all week), Amtrak is operating a special NEC schedule, including Acela. Your train, #2150, which normally originates in Washington, will originate in New York on Monday. So, at NYP, #2150 will be announced for departure only, there will be no incoming arrival of 2150. The bottom line is that the train will leave NYP for BOS at 8:03am, and if NJT gets you to NYP before then with time to get to Acela, you will be fine.

Note that on Monday, 12/29 (and all week), Amtrak is operating a special NEC schedule, including Acela. Your train, #2150, which normally originates in Washington, will originate in New York on Monday. So, at NYP, #2150 will be announced for departure only, there will be no incoming arrival of 2150. The bottom line is that the train will leave NYP for BOS at 8:03am, and if NJT gets you to NYP before then with time to get to Acela, you will be fine.
What??? are you serious if it originates in NYP that means getting a seat will be that much easier thats great news!! thanks for pointing that out. I was going to call Julie on board my NJT train to check on 2150 but now i think it should be fine since its starting there. Thanks for pointing that out I had no idea.

Dead serious. Amtrak cuts Acela way back during Christmas week due to greatly reduced business travel. 2150 is normally the first northbound out of WAS. On Monday (12/29), the first Acela from WAS will be 2154 at 7:00am. Meanwhile, the first northbound out of NYP to BOS, #2190 at 6:20am, will operate as normal Monday, so your #2150 could be a pretty light trip. It will be interesting to hear how it works for you. Barring an NJT catastrophe, your timing should be perfect.

Yeah, I am hoping all goes well and there will be a full TR pending my return or depending on how much editing I feel like doing the first have could very well be uploaded from the CA in Boston :p Thanks for telling me 2150 will be starting out of New York on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back