am I the only one bothered by pajamas in dining car?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Those of us old enough to remember the toilets that flushed directly onto the tracks also remember the "Ladies" Lounges on the Train and in Stations that were, according to my mom and grandmother,pretty fancy in some cases!

Speaking of showering on trains, I seldom take a shower on a two day train ride. Why bother? A little sponging down and change of clothes works just fine. If it gets longer than that then I do partake. :)

So it's fine for coach passengers to be unwashed, but not sleeper passengers? :huh:
Sure. You can't blame, or look down on, a person for not doing what they cannot do. A coach passenger cannot shower, a sleeper passenger can.
But... that makes no sense. Like, seriously. If it's okay for the goose, why isn't it for the gander?

Speaking of showering on trains, I seldom take a shower on a two day train ride. Why bother? A little sponging down and change of clothes works just fine. If it gets longer than that then I do partake. :)
Yup, I find a fresh set of clothes for the next day is fine for a one night trip. It's not like I'm doing P90X in my roomette...

I personally dress up when I'm on the train. Shanghai can attest to that. I like to remember rail travel like it was, an event, a special event. I don't mind how others dress, but I'll wear a nice button up (I've worn a vest with a tie and such before) and a nice pair of khakis or dress pants.

These questions are purely rhetorical: Would you (an adult) be admitted to a movie or a Broadway theater if you showed up wearing your pajamas? Church? A government office? A lawyer's office? A department store? A golf course? A ball park? A political rally? The Olympics in Rio?A fine dining restaurant? A casual restaurant? A neighborhood ethnic restaurant?

If the answer to ANY of the above is no, why would you wear pajamas in an Amtrak dining car?

As JoeBas said, "Amtrak is Public Transportation." Public.

I agree with everything DA wrote except this line, "If wearing PJs in public brings you immense happiness you can't get any other way then by all means rock the look which makes your life worth living."

In my opinion, it's fine to rock YOUR boat but it's not fine for you to rock MINE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think for breakfast it's OK. Everyone is waking up. I eat breakfast in my pajamas (well, I don't have any and don't sleep with pajamas, but I won't elaborate)... if they wish to do that, so be it. They paid the money to have the luxury. It's not like it's revealing or disgusting or dirty

So it's fine for coach passengers to be unwashed, but not sleeper passengers? :huh:
Sure. You can't blame, or look down on, a person for not doing what they cannot do. A coach passenger cannot shower, a sleeper passenger can.
But... that makes no sense. Like, seriously. If it's okay for the goose, why isn't it for the gander?
How does that make no sense? Sleeping passengers have access to showers. Coach do not.

Yes, you would be permitted to dine, in your pajamas, at any number of places. Denny's, ihop, panera bread, Starbucks, etc

And as I said, the Steward had no issue with a man wearing his pajamas and bathrobe to breakfast on VIA rail....

How does that make no sense? Sleeping passengers have access to showers. Coach do not.
If it's not okay, it's not okay for everyone. If it's okay for some, it's okay for all.

That's like saying it's okay not to drive a Mercedes if you can't afford one. But if you CAN afford one, it's not okay not to.

If it's not okay, it's not okay for everyone. If it's okay for some, it's okay for all.

That's like saying it's okay not to drive a Mercedes if you can't afford one. But if you CAN afford one, it's not okay not to.
You just lost me there.... I can afford a Mercedes, but I choose to buy a Volvo or Audi. Does that make me a bad person? I prefer understated luxury and not flaunt money.

I'm currently in the gate area at Spokane's airport, awaiting a flight to Seattle where tomorrow my uncle and I begin a 10 day, 6 train Amtrak trip across the US from Seattle and back (with two nights and a day in New Orleans thrown in). No pajamas to be seen anywhere. I guess airline passengers are higher class than Amtrak's are. :lol:

JayPea, please report what you see on your 10 day, 6 train Amtrak trip, in terms of pajamas and animals, particularly chihuahuas, in the dining car. Thank you.

Christmas Day 1995 my wife insisted we needed milk, so I went to the supermarket (San Diego) and there was a man (not me) in line at the cash register wearing his PJ's and slippers.

Everyone pretended not to notice.

A five-year-old kid wearing pijamas in a public place? Fine. Anybody older? I don't think so. Use some common sense people. As far as people not taking showers on the train, before the advent of the Superliners and Viewliners, there were no showers on trains. Somehow, people survived.
probably totally unrelated, but how did people go to the bathroom on trains back in the late 19th century? :(
Maybe the train had a form of 'outhouse' on board, depositing the waste on the tracks?

The topic relates to opinions regarding passengers wearing pajamas in Amtrak dining cars. Please try to keep your comments on topic. Comments way off topic or that add absolutely nothing to the conversation may be hidden. Thank you for your cooperation.

A five-year-old kid wearing pijamas in a public place? Fine. Anybody older? I don't think so. Use some common sense people. As far as people not taking showers on the train, before the advent of the Superliners and Viewliners, there were no showers on trains. Somehow, people survived.
probably totally unrelated, but how did people go to the bathroom on trains back in the late 19th century? :(
Maybe the train had a form of 'outhouse' on board, depositing the waste on the tracks?
Had those well into the 20th century too. Then some congressman fishing on bridge got dumped on. Or something like that. Then Amtrak had to convert all those toilets to have retention tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By "well into", at least 1994.

Also:

giphy.gif

I remember back when I was a little kid, totally confused over the one "toilet chair" in each NYC subway car. It was out there, amongst all the all seats in the cars; no privacy. Who would dare to use it?

Today, if such still existed, I think anyone would use it without a moment's thought, and the other passengers wouldn't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back