Amfleet I Interior Refresh

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That appears to be a Metroliner, not an Amfleet.
I believe you are correct...that is definitely an earlier design, but I believe built by the same company....Aircraft Seating International of Colorado Springs. I think that company is now defunct, but perhaps absorbed into another company since.

That and it says "Metroliner" on the wall.
Good catch! I missed that clue....
default_smile.png

It amazes me, when doing a 'Google' search for early Amfleet photo's, they're almost all exterior shots...hard to find interior, to help solve the question....so rail photographer's: keep that in mind...try to record some interior train scene's for 'posterity'....
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I sat in what I guess was a refurbished car today, 176 from NYP to BOS. Good news was that I felt the seat was more comfortable in the fake leather, like a car seat. And clean, partly being new, but probably easier to maintain. Otherwise, no big deal.

The basket on the seat in front was already broken. Lighting was a bit different. No change to the insufficient configuration of electric outlets. For whatever it's worth, the air seemed fresher than I was used to. Not sweltering hot, no smell. I realize no overhaul of climate control specified. Maybe real cold weather and removal of smelly old seat covers helped.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I was in a refurbished Business Class car on 141 yesterday--the seats are attractive, it was clean (and looks easier to keep clean)--and I liked the lighting. There was a nice amount of room between seats. (However, there was another car with the new seats in coach, and they looked just as cramped as the old ones.)

The car smelled fresh (or rather it didn't have any smell, like the old coaches do). My only complaint is that I found the seat material harder than the old seats and couldn't get comfortable.

I was in a refurbished Business Class car on 141 yesterday--the seats are attractive, it was clean (and looks easier to keep clean)--and I liked the lighting. There was a nice amount of room between seats. (However, there was another car with the new seats in coach, and they looked just as cramped as the old ones.)

The car smelled fresh (or rather it didn't have any smell, like the old coaches do). My only complaint is that I found the seat material harder than the old seats and couldn't get comfortable.
You'd actually be surprised how comfortable coach is, not only legroom wise, but the old seats were IMO more comfortable then the old BC seats. As for the seats being not as comfortable. They just need some rear ends in them. Give em some time.

I was in a refurbished Business Class car on 141 yesterday--the seats are attractive, it was clean (and looks easier to keep clean)--and I liked the lighting. There was a nice amount of room between seats.
Has anyone seen any refurbished business or business cafe cars on Michigan Wolverine service yet? From prior posts I kind of expected them by the end of 2017, but haven’t been able to find any information on this lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I was in a refurbished Business Class car on 141 yesterday--the seats are attractive, it was clean (and looks easier to keep clean)--and I liked the lighting. There was a nice amount of room between seats.
Has anyone seen any refurbished business or business cafe cars on Michigan Wolverine service yet? From prior posts I kind of expected them by the end of 2017, but haven’t been able to find any information on this lately.

I'm curious about this too - I am probably going to be on the Wolverine on Sunday so we'll see then!

I'm curious about this too - I am probably going to be on the Wolverine on Sunday so we'll see then!
I tried getting information from an Amtrak agent but they weren’t aware of Michigan Services upgrades. Blogs that I’ve looked at do mention Michigan Services, Amfleet 1 seating. business class curtains, and galley improvements along with other things. If you don’t get a refurbished car then maybe the attendant in the cafe or conductor might be aware of what’s happening. Let us know when you return from your trip. Thanks!

It'll take time to get the western trains done since this is largely an eastern operation. However, the CEO wants to quicken the pace and is using the some of the winter lull to take some of the cars out of service instead of doing a lot of the changeover at outlying points and facilities between runs.

TR,

Has there been any indication Amtrak is considering extending the rehab of Coach/BC beyond the Amfleet I cars to any part of the LD fleet?

Are the Amfleet II's part of the refurb?

I've had a lot of issues with the Amfleet II seat cushions. Seems like I was always sitting on a metal bar. Very uncomfortable. And the cushion seemed to want to slip out from under me. This on more than one trip...

TR,

Has there been any indication Amtrak is considering extending the rehab of Coach/BC beyond the Amfleet I cars to any part of the LD fleet?

Are the Amfleet II's part of the refurb?

I've had a lot of issues with the Amfleet II seat cushions. Seems like I was always sitting on a metal bar. Very uncomfortable. And the cushion seemed to want to slip out from under me. This on more than one trip...
Haven't heard much about the LD or Western Fleet other than the "it needs to be done but funding ....." type of comments. As I've said before, it is unusually quiet on the LD front.

I tried getting information from an Amtrak agent but they weren’t aware of Michigan Services upgrades. Blogs that I’ve looked at do mention Michigan Services, Amfleet 1 seating. business class curtains, and galley improvements along with other things. If you don’t get a refurbished car then maybe the attendant in the cafe or conductor might be aware of what’s happening. Let us know when you return from your trip. Thanks!

Took the Blue Water into Chicago this morning - no updates on that train - 2-1 configuration in Bus Class. In fact the train looked a total mess due to the snow getting in all the doorways, and only a couple of restrooms were in working order! :-(

Amfleets are rounded with fluted sides, Horizons are flat sided. There are Am1 as well as Horizon split cars with the 2-1, all of the AM1 splits I've been on the seats have been brown. As to coaches, I'm not sure the Horizons are getting the refresh under the current program.

Some of the Wolverine trains have Amfleets and they have the cafe car/BC car that is rounded with fluted sides. Most of them are Horizons though.

And yes -- the snow is terrible between the cars/in the doorways lately. When I took 355 westbound a few weeks ago they could barely get the steps clean enough to get passengers in and out at some stops.

I see that on the Empire Service going across NY in the winter. Shovel, broom, bag of salt, standard Amfleet vestibule equipment across the snowy areas.
yes this was the case today too...and frozen doors only allowed getting off in Chicago via 2 doors! walking through the cars I got blasted with blowing snow! LOL! :) And yes, the car I was in was rounded, but only the BC/Cafe car - the other cars were flat sided.

Back