Amtrak “Siri” and LED Signs

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak_Carolinian_2020

Train Attendant
It has to come my attention in the past year or so that in Amtrak stations in some mid-size or smaller cities such as Durham, NC and Charleston, SC, a new automated sound system as well as LED signs that light up have been installed to make announcements regarding both station information and train status. The signs also display date and time. The automated voice for these announcements sound like Apple’s “Siri”. I have noticed that these announcements have been used in larger, busier stations, such as New York Penn, Washington Union, and Richmond Staples Mill, for quite some time now. Cary, NC has had the signs for the past few months, as seen from railfanning videos, but I have yet to see them illuminated. Will these sound systems and signs eventually become standard across the entire Amtrak system? Below are a few video examples of the announcements and screens.

https://youtu.be/IpINKcdtM6g

In all the decades I’ve been riding Amtrak I’ve only seen two signs deployed system wide. One was the original headless arrow and the other was the wavy field logo on a silver rectangle. Two designs in four decades implies we probably won’t see a new sign for another decade or two. ;)

It has to come my attention in the past year or so that in Amtrak stations in some mid-size or smaller cities such as Durham, NC and Charleston, SC, a new automated sound system as well as LED signs that light up have been installed to make announcements regarding both station information and train status. The signs also display date and time. The automated voice for these announcements sound like Apple’s “Siri”. I have noticed that these announcements have been used in larger, busier stations, such as New York Penn, Washington Union, and Richmond Staples Mill, for quite some time now. Cary, NC has had the signs for the past few months, as seen from railfanning videos, but I have yet to see them illuminated. Will these sound systems and signs eventually become standard across the entire Amtrak system? Below are a few video examples of the announcements and screens.

I think they help with ADA compliance since the automated announcements can be typed out visually on the station signs.

So yes I think the plan is for these to be rolled out system wide.

I was very sad when these announcements took over in NYP, the station announcers there were really fascinating to listen to. We also lost the electronic solari board in nyp as well. But I’m all for helping those can’t hear, so I am for the change.

You’re right. It’s 150 - and they were still talking about 165. I’ve been away for 3 years, and the last time I took Acela it went 150 thru the station.

You don’t know what it’s like to be standing on the platform and it comes thru! Especially unexpected :eek: - as has happened to me. At one time (I’m not sure if it still does), I took a Regional at 7:12 and Acela went thru on that same track at 7:08!

They are appearing in more stations. In the future, it will also assist with boarding locations.

Keep in mind that a true "system wide" deployment would include stops with no station, no platform, no network, no utilities, and less-than-daily service. Not saying it can't be done but the cost would dwarf any measurable benefit.

which means it will surely happen right?

It would be pretty hilarious to see one of these signs at some of the “stations” that Amtrak serves. Ha.

Those signs like in Greenville are next to useless. Far better if they told people where to stand on the platform to be near their car when the train arrives and other useful information. Mostly, it's info on watching out for people who might want to hijack the train and it always contains the phony anticipated arrival times until the train is almost at the station as if the train was going to travel from the last stop at the speed of light to make up lost time although it has never done that before.

According to Virginia DOT info, the ADA work on the platforms at Ashland, VA will include new signs that also tell passengers which track to wait on for their train. Now it's really a safety issue. Passengers scamper across the two main line tracks once they see that their train is on the other track. With the approaching grades to town, its tough to tell until the headlight is too close for those who move slowly to safely cross over in front of the train. Sometimes passengers are too late and the train is delayed while the conductor holds it until passengers stumble around the rear or front of the stopped train.

The last time I was at FBG in December, they were just installing similar signboards. But the employees installing them said it was for VRE (who also uses the station) - so I don’t know for certain.

Like Ashland, the tracks can change quickly. Unlike Ashland, you must go down a ramp then go under the tracks then go up a ramp to get to the other side.

The last time I was at FBG in December, they were just installing similar signboards. But the employees installing them said it was for VRE (who also uses the station) - so I don’t know for certain.

Like Ashland, the tracks can change quickly. Unlike Ashland, you must go down a ramp then go under the tracks then go up a ramp to get to the other side.
That is true. The VRE stations have screens and audio systems for announcements, but it’s only for VRE. You can see and hear them in action in this video, filmed at the new-ish Spotsylvania station.

Yes, Siri voice reading message, but not loud enough in my opinion.

Back