Amtrak #2 falling behind due to locomotive issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnm

Train Attendant
riding the eb #2 and we have died three times since arriving in Tucson. On the point is #11, #2, and #500

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1426795208.113885.jpg

funny thing is the last time i rode the Sunset twenty years ago, we ended up needing a SP SD45 to continue the trip!

We are crawling into Benson about four hours late right now.

we keep loosing HEP, but we are rolling again.

Last edited by a moderator:
The oldest P42s (which would include #11 and #2) are from 1996, and of course the Dash-8s are from 1991.

Expected lifetime for a diesel loco is 20 - 25 years... They're simply starting to die. It's really only some parts which have such a short lifespan, so it's usually possible to patch them up and keep them going longer, but there's a problem here. Amtrak will need new diesels very soon.

This reminds me of 2009 on the lsl. We kept loosing hep since the split at Albany. Finally the computers crashed all together and we were costing at 79mph. Took a hour to get the computers in the locos back online.

well, so far so good, the amtrak website has us just under 5 hours late into el paso.... the modern marvels of timetables. lots of traffic and trackwork underway too.

well, so far so good, the amtrak website has us just under 5 hours late into el paso.... the modern marvels of timetables. lots of traffic and trackwork underway too.
As far as I can tell, the Amtrak site's predictions are simply based on your current lateness and the train's "pure running time schedule". So in other words, it's the best case scenario that presumes you encounter ideal conditions from here on out.

died in Alpine Tx and again 8 miles east of Alpine. While I have not seen it with my own eyes, the conductor said we got a replacement locomotive and switched the bad order locomotive to the rear. Once I can take a peek, I will post whats on the point.

I'm a little confused. You now have 4 locomotives, only one of which is working?

god only knows! we lost HEP again before even moving a foot. Sucks for all the folks that were connecting to the Eagle. Our sleeping car attendant says they will be bussed. With no air circulation, I am not brave enough to get near the coach cars.

god only knows! we lost HEP again before even moving a foot. Sucks for all the folks that were connecting to the Eagle. Our sleeping car attendant says they will be bussed. With no air circulation, I am not brave enough to get near the coach cars.
Have you been without HEP this whole time? If so, what have they done for food?

You are terminating in SAS.

HEP has been coming and going since Tucson. This morning the crews have been handing out snack packs, juice, coffee etc.

The power just came back on, hopefully we will be on the move.

For the Eagle folks, anyone headed for Ft. Worth will have bus from SAS. Folks traveling beyond Ft. Worth, will board another bus at SAS to catch the train...I believe the conductor said at Longview.

HEP problem is probably a short in the cabling or one car's wiring itself. That would cause the locos to drop power to protect itself.

We are now stopped in Sanderson, TX waiting for a fresh crew, (hours of service) It appears the information provided by the conductor to us passengers was slightly incorrect. The train started as #11,#2,#500 and outside of Alpine, TX the configuration changed to #11, #2, with #11 dead in the consist.

We did get breakfast served, but they ran out of a few things, since breakfast was planned for a much smaller passenger load.

The onboard crew is holding up pretty well under the circumstances, even with some rather testy passengers.

Shows eta into sas at the time due in nol. Looks like an extra day/night on the train. Or they gave up tracking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back