Amtrak 40th Anniversary Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NEW RIVER GEORGE

Train Attendant
The 40th Year Anniversary train did NOT come out of Beech Grove, Indiana this morning. The regular Hoosier State passed by behind P42 #170 without the extra stuff attached.

Since there are a couple of extra days padding before the trip back to Chicago and thence to Galesburg, will figure on the equipment coming out on the next Hoosier State day, which is Wednesday.

Anybody know what engine is on the Cardinal leaving Washington today (Sunday)?

Since time is getting short for the train to get to Galesburg, and Thursday is a Cardinal day instead of a Hoosier State day, it appears that the Indianapolis to Chicago leg will most likely HAVE to be in the morning, Wednesday September 21. They're probably hauling the stuff up to the station from Beech Grove right about now. Anybody in Indy tonight wanna go check it out and let us know?

They move the train on Sundays. They don't move it during the week. Unless it's going a farther distance. For instance when it goes from MKE to SEA it COULD move during the day and it WILL be moved during the week. It's hard to see if the train will be moved during the daylight hours simply because were not Amtrak.

I would guess that the train is already in Galesburg.

She is moving back to Chicago this morning on the Hoosier State, with P42 #170 in the lead. 60 axles total. The regular Hoosier State usually consists of 24 axles counting the loco and deadhead cars required for minimum length by the railroad.

I would suspect it would go on the Illinois Zephyr to and from Galesburg. Galesburg is only the second western stop besides St. Louis. It was not open to the public at the Indiana stop, which may have been for fine tuning on some of the equipment.

Apparently nothing published beyond what you already mentioned, Chicago, Jackson, Michigan, and then out on the Empire Builder.

They move the train on Sundays. They don't move it during the week. Unless it's going a farther distance. For instance when it goes from MKE to SEA it COULD move during the day and it WILL be moved during the week. It's hard to see if the train will be moved during the daylight hours simply because were not Amtrak.

???

The train frequently moves during the week. That's how it winds up on display in once city on one weekend, and another city on the next weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

???

The train frequently moves during the week. That's how it winds up on display in once city on one weekend, and anotehr city on the next weekend.
There was a week that I saw that anniversary train sitting on a siding near the Pawtucket/Providence line. It sat there from Sunday night - Friday night the week between when it was in PVD and BOS. I suppose the train is moved based on the needs of storing it and transporting it between the two cities.

I meant off the NEC. On the NEC, there really is no place to store the train at the stations, and it operates as an extra. Elsewhere, it generally runs coupled to a normal Amtrak train, and runs during the week to get to/from its planned location.

I meant off the NEC. On the NEC, there really is no place to store the train at the stations, and it operates as an extra. Elsewhere, it generally runs coupled to a normal Amtrak train, and runs during the week to get to/from its planned location.
I was referring to a shorter run. Such as Strasburg to HAR. They moved that on Sunday.

I would tend to believe that there isn't a set day that they try & aim for the move. It's going to depend on a number of things. Such as: availability of parking, host RR scheduals (even if it's just for switching), crew availability, etc. The Aniv train probably gets moved when it can.

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back