Amtrak Back Bay Station windows closed....

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JackieTakestheTrain

Lead Service Attendant
Hi. Does anyone know why the Amtrak windows at Back Bay are closed? Looks like the little store next to it is all boarded up as well. Are they planning on renovating the area? Would be nice -- that place is a pit!

Signage says it is closed until further notice. Information on Amtrak website states the same.

I heard it is a worker safety issue due to high concentrations of diesel fumes. Of course, the fumes have been there for years, but I guess someone now discovered that breathing those fumes for hours on end is not a good idea.

That is really interesting. Right next to their windows are the windows for the commuter rail, so I guess no one over there has complained?

Or even the thousands of passengers who go in and out of there every day, including me? Or the poor folks who work at both Dunkin Donuts locations there?

Oh well. I guess in this case the stinky wheel gets the grease.....

On a related topic, I have noticed that when I am on the platforms the trains seems LOUDER than ever before. I thought it was just me as I am aging, but someone else told me he noticed the same thing.

Back Bay really is a pit. I wish they would renovate it. Did I say that already? :)

I agree!

I know BBY is a commuter station that Amtrak just happens to use and have LD trains, but there's no seating - except for those cold hard circular things! :angry2: Even South Station and North Station have seats. (I've never been to RTE inside.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Posts on another website have suggested it is due to the air quality concerns. Evidently there is a stalled MBTA project to somehow improve air quality.

RTE and South Stations are palaces compared to BBY! :)

I feel badly for the commuter rail workers at their ticket windows though. They have big signs up telling people they are not Amtrak and have no train information yet these very same folks announce when the Amtrak trains are arriving and departing!

I am sure they are bugged all day long.

There used to be a convenience store right next to the Amtrak windows and it closed back in January. I heard that the building owner jacked the rent and so the store owners left. Then I heard they were putting in a burger joint. Never happened.

I guess we will stay tuned....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back