Amtrak Baggage Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
Hello I am intrested to get information about the Adirondack, Vermonter and the Ethan Allen Express Baggage Cars to know where can I see them please. Thank you very much. :D

They are probably spread all over the country since they have been released from their namesake trains do to their loss of baggage service and the cars were released into the general intercity pool. Now Ive got a question about Baggage cars, does the Federal have its own specialized baggage cars? Ive noticed that some group funds a baggage car on that train to promote taking bicycles.

Hello I want to get information on the Adirondack Trains please what kind of Baggage car does the Adirondack Trains have? Thank you.

Im pretty sure the Andirondack doesnt have a baggage car anymore, I could be mistaken though.

So the Adirondack Trains just have its Passager Cars and the Locomotive right?

Well according to the spring timetable the Adirondack still accepts checked baggage and bicycles. So I'm guessing that they still have a baggage car, although I suppose that Amtrak could have cooked up something else to handle this.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I saw an Andirondack baggage car on the Zephyr in May.
Well I didn't say that the Adirondack was using it's own baggage cars. :) I just said that I think that they still do have a baggage car on the train. As of late they've been moving the baggage cars anywhere they like without regard to what's painted on the side.

And Now the information On the Vermonter Baggage Cars please how many Vermonter Baggage Cars have the Old Paint Scheme and the new Acela paint scheme?

Thank You.

1800 is in Phase V (Acela). I saw it twice on Silver Service in May, I don't think the Vermonter has a baggage car anymore.

Viewliner said:
1800 is in Phase V (Acela). I saw it twice on Silver Service in May, I don't think the Vermonter has a baggage car anymore.
Checked baggage was completely eliminated on the Vermonter. Therefore its cars baggage cars have been scattered throughout the Amtrak system.

I'm not real sure how each one is painted. Sorry. :(

Amtrak Railfan,

Here are some photos of the Vermonter, Adirondack, and Ethan Allen Express baggage cars that may be of interest to you.

1. Vermonter Baggage Car Phase III

amt1801a.jpg

2. Vermonter Baggage Car Phase Acela

amt1800b.jpg

3. Adirondack Baggage Car Phase III

AMT1851.jpg

4. Ethan Allen Express Baggage Car Phase III

amt1852.jpg

Like AlanB said all of these Baggage cars are scattered about the system because these particular trains do not handle baggage anymore.

I personally have seen both 1800 and 1852 within the past couple of months. 1852 has a little different paint job than it did while it was in service on the Ethan Allen, as seen in this photo in Delray Beach, FL
Heritage%20Baggage%201852.JPG
And I can confirm that Vermonter bug no longer has baggage, which makes the crew's life a heck of a lot easier.

Well it's much better for crew members (especially off high platforms) to focus their energy on loading and unloading passengers, than tossing those one or two bags off the train.

gswager said:
battalion51 said:
Are you refering to the beloved Cabbage cars?
I don't know. I've never heard of cabbage cars before? Care to explain?
A cabbage car is a gutted out engine made into a cab car with the remaining space turned into baggage space.

No, the Federal never had a baggage car. When it was the Twilight Shoreliner it did have a baggage car, which also handled bicycles. However, the Twilight Shoreliner was replaced by the Federal this past April. Hope this helps. :)

These are ex-Heritage Coaches, with seats removed, windows blanked out, a single roll up baggage door in the middle. The door is still visible on one end, however, it may be blocked so it can't be opened. I'm not sure about that though.

Here's an exterior shot, I've got an interior one that I'll scan later:

abrTrain98JAX.jpg

This picture and more can be found on my website (link below).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back