Amtrak bans the Galaxy Note 7

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticWhisper

Service Attendant
http://techfrag.com/2016/10/24/galaxy-note-7-devices/

“Effective immediately, Samsung Galaxy Note 7 cell phones are not permitted on Amtrak property due to potential serious safety risks. This ban includes Amtrak trains, Thruway buses, facilities, stations, platforms, Amtrak vehicles, and as an item carried within a vehicle on Auto Train.”

Reminds me of the hoverboard ban last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

“Effective immediately, Samsung Galaxy Note 7 cell phones are not permitted on Amtrak property due to potential serious safety risks. This ban includes Amtrak trains, Thruway buses, facilities, stations, platforms, Amtrak vehicles, and as an item carried within a vehicle on Auto Train.”

They have been banned on airliner for a couple of weeks now, both in hand and checked luggage, and of course needless to say in ones pocket or smartphone holster too. So if you bring along a Galaxy Note 7 for your flight, the only choice is to throw it away if you want to fly. (or I suppose give to your friend who came to drop you off to take it back home.)

They have been banned on airliner for a couple of weeks now, both in hand and checked luggage, and of course needless to say in ones pocket or smartphone holster too. So if you bring along a Galaxy Note 7 for your flight, the only choice is to throw it away if you want to fly. (or I suppose give to your friend who came to drop you off to take it back home.)
There are some airports - SFO and ORD reportedly being among them - where Samsung has set up booths where they will do an on-the-spot exchange.

That is really nice. I can see how I would hate to be one with a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 in my pocket at this time with the amount of dependency that I have on my current smart phone, and I happen to show up at the airport with one. Hope there is an easy and quick way to transition all the critical data over to the new unit.

There are some airports - SFO and ORD reportedly being among them - where Samsung has set up booths where they will do an on-the-spot exchange.
I think I heard PHL has that.

What a hassle. Had to fight with Verizon to get them to change out my Note 7 due to an issue with FedEx delivering the phone I had ordered to replace it. Ended up having to plop down $769 to do a loan buy out on an order that has already been cancelled. Once FedEx reroutes the order back to Verizon I will get a refund.

I didn't have much of a choice, I couldn't wait any longer... Needed a phone because I have to work tonight, sooooo!

Samsung really stepped in it this time - the Galaxy Notes are pretty damn popular phones. I wonder how many people are going to arrive at the station and either see bulletin boards there stating their phones are banned or even mosey onto their trains without even catching wind of this? Awkward times, having your phone out and being approached by a conductor telling you it's banned.

Sounds like Amtrak and Samsung are on top of this serious situation, I've had several Samsung products in the past (Samsung is Big in Austin!) and generally have been happy with them!

Good luck on getting a timely refund Trilley!

I think I heard PHL has that.
Just saw that on Philly.com. I'll be down at PHL tomorrow morning, and I'll check things out.

<TINFOIL HAT ON>

So what's the over-under on them using this to boil the frog a little more regarding bag searches?

<TINFOIL HAT ON>

So what's the over-under on them using this to boil the frog a little more regarding bag searches?
Dunno. maybe a few extra searches. At Denver I did notice them blocking these at the security checkpoint, and still there were repeated announcements on the plane too. But all in all nothing significant.

<TINFOIL HAT ON>

Dunno. maybe a few extra searches. At Denver I did notice them blocking these at the security checkpoint, and still there were repeated announcements on the plane too. But all in all nothing significant.
I walked through DEN TSA last Sunday morning with no search or delay. Having GE and PreCheck is certainly helpful, but my phone was in my carryon bag, and raised no flags. Bag on belt, walk through magnetometer, pick up bag on the other side: done. I don't think an iPhone and a Note 7 look very different on the screen.

The FA on my AA flight back to PHL had a mixed message. First, that the Note 7 was banned, then that if you had one, be it must be powered off for the duration of the flight. I think he was combining the new and old announcement scripts.

I was flying Delta last week and the flight attendant reminded before takeoff that the Galaxy Note 7 is banned in any form, but in case you did not know and brought one onboard, please switch it off and hand it over to us for the duration of the flight.

I don't know how that works with legislation, or if the attendant was being nice on her own to offer to still keep the phone onboard if someone brought it on by mistake.

Li ion batteries are very sensitive to charging rates. Have two chargers for same type battery from my home center and the newer one take quite a bit longer to charge the battery. + the newer charger will not start until the battery has cooled from immediate past use.

We are now following this rule with all our rechargeables and they seem to last a little longer.

I think the "must be powered off" announcement is akin to the ashtray in the plane's restroom: They know that someone will take the thing on (by design or by accident); I think there's probably a "smile and nod" in place if one is onboard but powered off, etc. (since trying to ferret out a specific smartphone model would be so obscenely time-consuming that it isn't even funny).

I don't even know why anyone who bought one of these in the first place would still have it and have to worry about it being banned. I would have returned it in the first seconds of the recall.

I don't even know why anyone who bought one of these in the first place would still have it and have to worry about it being banned. I would have returned it in the first seconds of the recall.
I've heard stories about people having a lot of trouble with returning them or getting exchanges - and getting major runarounds from vendors, etc.

Only choice? I'd imagine most folks would simply keep it with them but out of view. We're talking about a phone not a hover board.

I was flying Delta last week and the flight attendant reminded before takeoff that the Galaxy Note 7 is banned in any form, but in case you did not know and brought one onboard, please switch it off and hand it over to us for the duration of the flight. I don't know how that works with legislation, or if the attendant was being nice on her own to offer to still keep the phone onboard if someone brought it on by mistake.
Legislation? Was there some Galaxy Note law passed when I wasn't looking?

Li ion batteries are very sensitive to charging rates.
Lithium ion batteries are sensitive to overcharging, overheating, and punctures, but modern electric cars have proven that extremely fast charging can be handled safety if designed properly.

I've heard stories about people having a lot of trouble with returning them or getting exchanges - and getting major runarounds from vendors, etc.
I have as well. Folks who bought these phones as part of an extended payment plan seem to be running into all sorts of problems with uncooperative carriers. Even if you bought it direct and paid in full I've heard the process can be tedious and time consuming to complete. Sounds like maybe we need a CFPB agency for markets outside of the financial industry.

Only choice? I'd imagine most folks would simply keep it with them but out of view. We're talking about a phone not a hover board.
Yes. Only choice consistent with regulations. Of course people do all sorts of things inconsistent with regulations if they can get away with it, including bringing on board knives and bombs and what not, carefully kept out of sight of course, until it needs to be used for their plans, or until it unintentionally bursts into flames and such :p

Yes. Only choice consistent with regulations. Of course people do all sorts of things inconsistent with regulations if they can get away with it, including bringing on board knives and bombs and what not, carefully kept out of sight of course, until it needs to be used for their plans, or until it unintentionally bursts into flames and such :p
Over the years I've had fingernail clippers, tiny pinky sized novelty tools, and travel sized soaps/sunscreens/toothpastes tossed in the trash for looking too dangerous or being packed improperly or labeled incorrectly or whatever else was annoying that particular checkpoint on that particular day. Then other times items that any educated person would think of as legitimately dangerous were allowed through without issue. Somewhere along the way I lost a lot of respect for whatever criteria they're using.

We all respect everyone's right to hold almost any opinion as long it does not involve causing immediate harm to others. I think the opinion stated by you based on very cogent observations is perfectly fine to hold.

The FAA, coast Guard, pipeline authority, & FRA laws were broadly written and even NHTSA ( highway ). As far as safety goes any regulation or an emergency directive has the force of law and can and will be enforced in federal court unless it is bailed to a state court where allowed.

So far as noted no problem is rechargeable cars but there have been too many Li ion battery failures including a B-787, hover boards, power tools, smart phones, etc.

Believe it or not there were problems with Ni Cad batteries when they came out especially in aircraft.

So far as noted no problem is rechargeable cars but there have been too many Li ion battery failures including a B-787, hover boards, power tools, smart phones, etc.
In my view the primary failure with the B787 was the FAA's decision to undermine their own mandate by allowing the manufacturer to self-certify the design. Those fake hover boards were completely unregulated rather than professionally underwritten, so it's no surprise they had sloppy designs and insufficient safety measures. They probably should have been blocked at the border but I guess burning down people's homes isn't seen as a problem worth preventing.

Well, if you guys joined the rest of us cool kids and used an iPhone, you wouldn't be in this mess.
Not sure if this was intended as a joke but Apple has had their own battery failure recalls in the past. My first generation iPod Nano was one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back