Amtrak budget cuts - view from a British newspaper

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jul/30/amtrak-budget-cuts-texas-trump-support-betrayal

This may be a little out of date but it shows the interest in Amtrak from the UK. A few of the comments on the piece are interesting too, but if you have sensitivities maybe it's best not read them.

When British Rail was fragmented and privatised fares went up and service declined dramatically. Private companies can never without subsidies provide an all encompassing rail service, and their attempts to do so without subsidies has to put politely been a fiasco, America be warned.

Saw that article via Amtrak Fans on Facebook. I noted that the lead photo was the Pacific Surfliner which is state supported and would not be affected by the cuts! Ah, present day journalism. Pretty much a re-hash of Amtrak budget news of late.

John, it wasn't meant to be cutting edge journalism but that cuts in the US passenger rail company made news in the UK. My own personal comments after are experience of what happens when government feels that if a rail system can't stand alone then it shouldn't exist.

Amtrak is your problem, the UK has enough of it's own

There are no cuts yet. Only a threat from the President who does not get to decide by himself. So far Congress, who actually are responsible for and own the budget creation and adoption process are solidly supporting Amtrak.

There are no cuts yet. Only a threat from the President who does not get to decide by himself. So far Congress, who actually are responsible for and own the budget creation and adoption process are solidly supporting Amtrak.
Yes, just a threat but, continue to write your Congressional representatives urging support for Amtrak.

John, it wasn't meant to be cutting edge journalism but that cuts in the US passenger rail company made news in the UK. My own personal comments after are experience of what happens when government feels that if a rail system can't stand alone then it shouldn't exist.

Amtrak is your problem, the UK has enough of it's own
Agreed. But it would be nice to see a little "homework" in the field of journalism. We see the same thing here!

Using an eye catching photo of an Amtrak train to illustrate a general article seems quite far from "lax journalism", especially as 99.99% of British readers won't be aware of the "Surfliner" aspect.

It seems that the article is also pointing out the contrasts between a rural "vote for Trump" and the direct result of that is Trump wants to close your rural station...

Ed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that article via Amtrak Fans on Facebook. I noted that the lead photo was the Pacific Surfliner which is state supported and would not be affected by the cuts! Ah, present day journalism. Pretty much a re-hash of Amtrak budget news of late.
Do you think that makes any difference to the casual reader in the U.K?

In that context, no.

What the US can take away from this is to be wary of the pro-privatization Congress people who are convinced costs for everyone would drop significantly under privatization. Look at Britain as the example.

Adding to comments above without getting too political, probably each country has to decide if having a government aided rail system is beneficial to the country overall, whether other factors should carry weight not only the financial aspect. Of course running non profitable lines comes at a cost but are they worth paying say in this case to keep communities alive?

There have been a number of examples in Europe where government control or subsidies have allowed rail networks to be enhanced dramatically, Spain, France and Germany to name a few . By having an improving rail network ridership has increased substantially which has helped to fund improvements and keep non profitable lines open. It's also kept cars off the roads.

All that said, the photo of the Surfliner leapt off the page for me when I saw the feature, it's in our top two Amtrak trains that we've ridden. Simply I posted the link to show that the Amtrak trains are of interest outside your country.

Late last night the Guardian article inspired me to make up a fantasy trip to the US using test bookings, the purpose to ride our favourite trains, perhaps ride one new to us train and visit friends in various parts of the country too. For the California Zephyr there is a date in the 2nd or 3rd week of March next year where sleepers are marked as sold out! now that is what I would call popular at 8 months ahead!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw that article via Amtrak Fans on Facebook. I noted that the lead photo was the Pacific Surfliner which is state supported and would not be affected by the cuts! Ah, present day journalism.
In that context, no.
Nonetheless, accuracy is a virtue, even if most readers would not catch an inaccuracy or care if they did. "Good enough" often means it isn't good.

Using an eye catching photo of an Amtrak train to illustrate a general article seems quite far from "lax journalism", especially as 99.99% of British readers won't be aware of the "Surfliner" aspect.
In this particular instance I would agree; You are correct. However, the problem with lax, sloppy, and just poor quality journalism is that if we can often identify errors and discrepancies in railroad related articles (where we may recognize the mistake) then it stands to reason that there is also erroneous reporting of much of our other news as well (where we're the 99%).

Although the mistakes are sometimes trivial (I once saw the Silver Star referred to as a Tampa to New York commuter train), if they get the minor details wrong, how do we judge the reliability of what we hear about North Korea or something more vital where our only source of information is this same ("lax") media.

Back