Amtrak Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MODERATOR'S NOTE: A reminder that this thread is about Business Class and not about personal travel plans in general and how to and what to pack for a long trip have nothing to do with the thread topic. Please stick to the topic. Posts that stray too far from the thread topic will be removed.

Thank you for you understanding, cooperation and participation.

Pictures of the inside of a BC car would be greatly appreciated, luggage rack, overhead racks and behind row 14 seat's open space.

I have seen the inside of a BC car that is half Cafe and Business seats, just have never seen inside of the full business car with 16 rows, last 2 rows with tables. NEC train.

Last edited by a moderator:
This question is purely conjecture, but...as Siemens Venture cafe cars come online soon...ish...and thus freeing up slack in the fleet of half cafe/half BC cars, is there any hope these cars will go back into service on East Coast trains like the Lake Shore Limited and Cardinal?

The seeming demise of business class on the Coast Starlight feels rather troubling in this regard.

I can only wish our car would look like that........The #176 train from Roanoke to the North has the 2 + 2 seat pattern ( 16 rows.) Our seats will have to be narrower then what you pictured, and our aisle will be smaller too.

If our overhead storage looks like that, that would even give us an option of putting our larger bags overhead.

Thanks for the picture.

I can only wish our car would look like that........The #176 train from Roanoke to the North has the 2 + 2 seat pattern ( 16 rows.) Our seats will have to be narrower then what you pictured, and our aisle will be smaller too.

If our overhead storage looks like that, that would even give us an option of putting our larger bags overhead.

Thanks for the picture.
Your overhead storage will look exactly like that. It is the same car frame with different types of seat.

Here is what your BC is more or less going to look like inside:

2017_1018_IvyCity_Refresh_0135_CRX_5x7.jpg

Your overhead storage will look exactly like that. It is the same car frame with different types of seat.

Here is what your BC is more or less going to look like inside:

2017_1018_IvyCity_Refresh_0135_CRX_5x7.jpg
That open area in front of those seats on the left is that for a handi-cap wheel chair person or do some people also store luggage in that area? Would there also be an area forward of this area for a luggage rack of some kind on the floor of the car near the exit doors.?

Thanks for the picture.
The original configuration of those overhead racks was even more open…the tubular “guard rails”, as well as the periodic “baffles”, were added in an earlier refurbishment…

The original configuration of those overhead racks was even more open…the tubular “guard rails”, as well as the periodic “baffles”, were added in an earlier refurbishment…
I understand those were suggested by the NTSB after too often too much luggage landed on people's heads below after derailments and rapid deceleration.

I understand those were suggested by the NTSB after too often too much luggage landed on people's heads below after derailments and rapid deceleration.
I believe you’re correct. Even though the tubular shape of the cars means the upper walls taper in, those racks are still relatively huge and allow even footlockers to be placed on them, with their relatively low height, although more difficult now with the guard rails. You could even swing up and sleep in them if you were athletic, and weren’t stopped by the crew.😁

By comparison, the predecessor heritage coach racks were much shallower and usually higher, requiring many to stand on the seats to reach. Many of those were partially of tubular construction, allowing you to view your belongings through the bottom…

That open area in front of those seats on the left is that for a handi-cap wheel chair person or do some people also store luggage in that area? Would there also be an area forward of this area for a luggage rack of some kind on the floor of the car near the exit doors.?

To answer your question. Just to the left of where the photo is being taken is a luggage rack for larger bags.

Hope that helps.

Sounds like we will have plenty of options for our luggage. Getting on the train at it's originating location will also greatly help since we will have pretty much the run of the train when we get on.

Right now only about 6 seats are reserved at this time in Roanoke.

I guess to be on the safe side we should be on the ready at the front of the car when we approach our stop at Newark(Penn Station) because who knows for sure if the door at the back of the car will open at that stop.

Thanks again for everyone's help

Sounds like we will have plenty of options for our luggage. Getting on the train at it's originating location will also greatly help since we will have pretty much the run of the train when we get on.

Right now only about 6 seats are reserved at this time in Roanoke.

I guess to be on the safe side we should be on the ready at the front of the car when we approach our stop at Newark(Penn Station) because who knows for sure if the door at the back of the car will open at that stop.

Thanks again for everyone's help
Boarding at Roanoke you will have absolutely no problem finding space for your luggage. When we boarded that train in Roanoke, not even one car's worth of passengers boarded there. It filled up as it proceeded towards Washington DC, with a huge contingent boarding at Lynchburg.

Last edited:
Boarding at Roanoke you will have absolutely no problem finding space for your luggage. When we boarded that train in Roanoke, not even one car's worth of passengers boarded there. It filled up as it proceeded towards Washington DC, with a huge contingent boarding at Lynchburg.
Did you go on a weekday or weekend train? where was your destination stop?

We had a chance to see the weekend train there last Saturday that left there at 4:30pm. I would guess no more then 10 people boarded the train the even we were there. The weekend train however doesn't use the Full Car BC, it was one of those half Cafe/ BC cars.

We will be on a full BC, We will be on it midweek.

Today's 8:45am Train(#156) from Roanoke was canceled for some reason(no idea why), The train however was there to pick up passengers in Lynchburg, the 2nd stop North..

We appreciate business class as the seats are reserved. This makes it far easier to board. Boarding in PHL can sometimes be a challenge. Sometimes the business class car is in the front behind the engine while other times it is the last car. There seems to be no way to tell.

We appreciate business class as the seats are reserved. This makes it far easier to board. Boarding in PHL can sometimes be a challenge. Sometimes the business class car is in the front behind the engine while other times it is the last car. There seems to be no way to tell.
Standard NE Regional consists should have BC as the last car. Quiet Car is just ahead of it.
Did you go on a weekday or weekend train? where was your destination stop?
Weekend. Destination was Washington DC to connect to the Silver Service heading home to Florida.

I wonder if prohibiting business class passengers in the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago has to do with the fact the new business class cars are about to be open to be booked. Once the venture business class cars open up for bookings there's going to be a lot more business capacity per train so I'd assume the lounge wouldn't be able to keep up.

I'm confused by this. Are you currently unable to buy a seat in business class Venture cars at all, or are you referring to an upcoming change that would allow someone to book a specific seat assignment in the Venture business car?

I'm about to give the Wolverine a try between Chicago and Detroit and not too impressed by the Venture coach seats, so I'm wondering if I should spring for business class given that the trip is over 5 hours?

I did this trip a few years ago in the old business car and found it to be a stuffy and noisy (from conversations) ride, whereas a walk through the train revealed a more spacious and quiet environment in the coach cars. The business class seats were so few that there wasn't an option to escape annoying chit chats who would not shut up for a second, whereas there at least is a quiet car option in coach.

Also on the return leg, I'll be taking the late afternoon train going from Dearborn, MI to Chicago, and as a single traveler, without a specific seat assignment in the business car I know that I'll never snag one of the single seats given that there are something like three stations before the train gets to Dearborn, and I'd probably have a better chance of sitting by myself in coach with an empty seat beside me.

Are you currently unable to buy a seat in business class Venture cars at all, or are you referring to an upcoming change that would allow someone to book a specific seat assignment in the Venture business car?
I think @IAlam meant that the Business Class Venture cars just aren't available yet. When they are available, there may not be enough of them initially to replace all of the older Business Class cars, so it might be a gamble which kind of Business Class car you'd end up with (same as with whether or not a Coach class ticket on regional trains gets you into one of the new Venture coach cars now). If your route doesn't currently allow you to reserve a specific seat in Business Class now, it probably won't allow you to book a specific seat in Business Class after Venture Business Class cars are introduced.

I think @IAlam meant that the Business Class Venture cars just aren't available yet. When they are available, there may not be enough of them initially to replace all of the older Business Class cars, so it might be a gamble which kind of Business Class car you'd end up with (same as with whether or not a Coach class ticket on regional trains gets you into one of the new Venture coach cars now). If your route doesn't currently allow you to reserve a specific seat in Business Class now, it probably won't allow you to book a specific seat in Business Class after Venture Business Class cars are introduced.

Thank you. As a single traveller, currently the biggest deterrent to going in business class is the inability to reserve a specific (single) seat, an ability which only exists on a handful of East coast routes. I'd usually have better luck sitting by myself in coach with an empty seat next to me.

Ironically the absolute worst Amtrak ride I ever had was in First Class on Acela, where I faced backwards toward someone who was so close we literally had to stagger our knees between each other like interlocking fingers. Uggg...

I'm confused by this. Are you currently unable to buy a seat in business class Venture cars at all, or are you referring to an upcoming change that would allow someone to book a specific seat assignment in the Venture business car?

I'm about to give the Wolverine a try between Chicago and Detroit and not too impressed by the Venture coach seats, so I'm wondering if I should spring for business class given that the trip is over 5 hours?

I did this trip a few years ago in the old business car and found it to be a stuffy and noisy (from conversations) ride, whereas a walk through the train revealed a more spacious and quiet environment in the coach cars. The business class seats were so few that there wasn't an option to escape annoying chit chats who would not shut up for a second, whereas there at least is a quiet car option in coach.

Also on the return leg, I'll be taking the late afternoon train going from Dearborn, MI to Chicago, and as a single traveler, without a specific seat assignment in the business car I know that I'll never snag one of the single seats given that there are something like three stations before the train gets to Dearborn, and I'd probably have a better chance of sitting by myself in coach with an empty seat beside me.
Pi, I ride the Wolverines 4-6 times a year. In my opinion BC is not really worth the up charge unless you get low bucket, and even more so with no lounge access. Now, the long/loud cell phone convos can happen regardless if you’re in coach or BC in my experience. It’s not a constant though. You might very well get lucky and have a quiet ride. However, count on the coaches being full. Half empty coach cars on the Wolverines I have not witnessed in years. They will close off a car rather than let people spread out. As for those new coach seats… what can I say. The gray cushioned vinyl seats were so much more comfortable but I’ve gotten used to the new ones.

I believe some Venture business class cars are running but the space is not being sold as business class. Thom of Trains are Awesome posted a video on YouTube a few months ago relating to this.

I believe some Venture business class cars are running but the space is not being sold as business class. Thom of Trains are Awesome posted a video on YouTube a few months ago relating to this.
So yes at this time no one is able to book for a business class seat on a venture business class car. Some venture business class cars are rolling around but are currently used for coach passengers. I got the chance to ride one last summer it was nice. But the main issue with those cars is the fact that the business class car takes us the whole car now instead of a small portion, basically tripling the business class capacity. Once those cars open up to business class passengers I'd assume tripling the number of business passengers on regional trains would be too much for the lounge. Hence I believe that the lounge is now restricting business passengers. However, that also relies on the assumption that the venture business class cars will be used for business class passengers in the near future. At the end of the day, I'm just speculating so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Back