Amtrak BWI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ray828

Train Attendant
Hi all,

I will be flying into BWI for the first time this upcoming week. I'm planning on taking Amtrak to Washington D.C. from the BWI station. How accessible is the station from the airport? I've never used BWI before so I'm just curious how you get to the station from the terminal. Also, I've scoped out the Regional train and Acela ticket prices. I've taken Regionals many times but have never taken an Acela before and want to. If I splurge and get First Class, are there any benefits to it from BWI to WAS? I know I'll be able to use the lounge but would I realistically get a meal on the train if the ride is only 30 minutes? Just trying to weigh out my options. Thank you in advance.

-Ray

I flew into BWI once and took the shuttle bus to the station a few years ago. As I recall it was easy. I can't remember the details, but believe there are signs directing you to the pick-up points. I think the BWI airport map also shows where to catch the shuttle buses. I think it's about a 15 min ride to the station, so be sure to allow enough time to get to the pick up point (will you have checked bags) and the additional ride time.

The only benefit of going FC from BWI to WAS is to say you rode FC. No point to it. By that point the LSA's are wrapping up. I would honestly take a Regional in Coach or take Marc to DC.

When you arrive at BWI, head outside from the baggage check. Curbside, you'll see signs for the various shuttle busses that run to the rental car facilities, the various lots/garages, and the train station. Get on a bus marked "AMTRAK".

The drive is only about 5 minutes, and you'll get off the bus right at the train station. Walk across the street and you're on the northbound platform. Go up the elevator or stairs, over the bridge over the tracks and back down and you're on the southbound platform.

I agree with Steve, just take a Regional or MARC, unless you really want to see Acela equipment and this is your only chance. No reason at all to spring for FC.

I will be flying into BWI for the first time this upcoming week. I'm planning on taking Amtrak to Washington D.C. from the BWI station. How accessible is the station from the airport? I've never used BWI before so I'm just curious how you get to the station from the terminal. Also, I've scoped out the Regional train and Acela ticket prices. I've taken Regionals many times but have never taken an Acela before and want to. If I splurge and get First Class, are there any benefits to it from BWI to WAS? I know I'll be able to use the lounge but would I realistically get a meal on the train if the ride is only 30 minutes? Just trying to weigh out my options. Thank you in advance.
The 30 minutes for the Acela from BWI to WAS southbound is padded for the end of the run. if you look at the northbound time from WAS to BWI, it is 21 minutes. You will barely have time to settle in your seat and get your bearings before the Acela is passing through New Carrollton, let alone get any drink or food from the attendants. Taking Acela FC from BWI to WAS is not worth the extra $. Or Acela BC for that matter. I agree with the others, take a Regional or MARC from BWI to WAS unless you really really want to ride in an Acela.

If you are in DC for a few days and can buy tickets far enough in advance, you could take the Acela from WAS to BAL, either round trip or one way with the other leg on a Regional or MARC.

What others said. I used to do the reverse, WAS-BWI every Friday for about 3.5 years. Almost always took MARC (cheaper). Acela 1st class is wonderful, but not for this short of a trip.

If you've got any baggage, or you're riding during the rush hour, I would recommend an Amtrak Regional over the MARC. Yes, it's much more expensive, even after the MARC fare increases, but the MARC trains generally have very little space to store any kind of suitcase. (Yes, the old single level MARC cars have decent sized overhead racks, but they're not usually found during rush hour. And the new Bombardier cars have NO luggage storage space at all.) On the other hand, the AMfleet cars on the Regionals have plenty of places to store your bags. Also, the ride is faster, as theyonly make one stop (New Carrolton) on the way to Washington.

But I agree about not bothering with the Acela Express, especially first class. Not worth it, In fact, I wonder if even the ride to Philadelphia from Washington is worth paying for Acela first class in terms of the extra service. But who am I to pontificate, I sometimes pay for business class between Washignton and Baltimore

As always, I can count on fellow members to provide the best advice. I decided to just take the Marc instead as it was the cheapest and the FC on Acela didn't have any real benefits. I appreciate the information on the shuttle as well. As others have said, it was easy to find and reliable. Thanks again everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back