Amtrak Camping Trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
A neighbor of mine loves camping in tents. She asked me if I knew of places where Amtrak stations are close to campgrounds. Any ideas? I told her about Glacier Park, but that's the only place I could come up with.

Thanx

Yosemite is absolutely within this realm. When open (Gov't Shutdown not withstanding) the YARTS bus connection with Amtrak will make any tent camping quite possible from the train. YARTS officially has no baggage service, but they use Greyhound-style coaches with luggage compartments and if you load it, they'll carry it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly a campground, but the Vermonter's stop in Waterbury, VT is not far from the Long Trail and getting a taxi to/from the trailhead should not be tough to do, or one could walk it.

Here are a couple of links: Green Mountain Club and an article in Backpacker

Harpers Ferry, WV (HFY) a stop on the Capitol Limited is in close proximity of the C&O Towpath. This is a hiker/bicycle trail that is under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. About three miles west of the station stop off the Potomac River is the Huckleberry Hill primitive campsite, The campsite has a water pump, chemical toilets, grill, and picnic table. The Towpath itself begins near Washington, DC and goes west for about 175 miles mostly hugging the Potomac River..

Another option is hiking/camping the Appalachian Trail which also is in close proximity of the HFY stop. The nearest camping sites are five miles north or south of the station. The hike north or south has some severe uphill climbs.

Hopefully with the Shutdown of all the National Parks Amtrak Passengers wont have to Pitch Camp in the SSL or their Coach! :giggle: Dovecoat is Right about Harpers Ferry, a Fantastic Place!

I'm wondering about the New River Gorge on the Cardinal Route, are there Regular Camping Areas or is it all just Wild and you Camp where you can? It looks pretty Primitive from the Cardinal???! :unsure:

A possibility is Fort Stevens State Park, Hammond Oregon. Accessable from Portland (PDX) via Thruway bus (100 mi) to Warrenton, OR (WNT) and a 5 mile hike to the park.

Harpers Ferry, WV (HFY) a stop on the Capitol Limited is in close proximity of the C&O Towpath. This is a hiker/bicycle trail that is under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service. About three miles west of the station stop off the Potomac River is the Huckleberry Hill primitive campsite, The campsite has a water pump, chemical toilets, grill, and picnic table. The Towpath itself begins near Washington, DC and goes west for about 175 miles mostly hugging the Potomac River..

Another option is hiking/camping the Appalachian Trail which also is in close proximity of the HFY stop. The nearest camping sites are five miles north or south of the station. The hike north or south has some severe uphill climbs.
In thinking far and wide. I forgot the one almost in my backyard! :rolleyes:

In thinking far and wide. I forgot the one almost in my backyard! :rolleyes:
It was my backyard for five years up to a year ago. I surely miss it!

On a Chicago - San Francisco trip on No 5 the westbound CZ, in Oct 2012, I seem to remember quite a few along side the river/railroad between Winter Park and Grand Junction CO. Most would be unreachable without a vehicle, but Google maps shows at least three within 2 km of the Amtrak station in Glen wood Springs and about 10 or so within 3-4 km of Grand Junction station. There is also a US Forrest Service camp ground within about 500 m from Granby Station and a dozen in the mountains around the town. Fraser/Winter Park has a couple in the surrounding 3-4 km, with one between the station and the Moffat Tunnel's West Portal. Of course you would have to inquire about local transport. Glen wood Springs & Grand Junction probably have local cab service, the others maybe not.

The CZ No 5 hits Fraser about 10:00 am & Grand Junction about 4:00 pm and No 6 the same times but the other way around, so all seem practical from both directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back