Amtrak can't ever seem to get their on line reservation system rig

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wwchi

Lead Service Attendant
Over the years it's always amazed me how terrible the IT department must be at Amtrak - the website and app were never in sync, there were times you couldn't make a change on line because they only set up the credit card code for 3 characters when Amex uses 4, etc. etc. There were times the app didn't work at all!

Well last week took the cake. Last Monday I was bumped from Business Class on Train 371 because the equipment had changed from a double decker train (with lower and upper available seats too) to a single decker. Business Class on the double decker has 28 seats and the single decker sells 12-14 seats.

We are on the 2nd or 3rd week of this new equipment and the Amtrak website and app are STILL selling tickets for the double decker equipment! As I get on the train in SJM, the last stop, there are no more Business Class seats left. I was called last Saturday and told there was NO BUSINESS CLASS at all on the train, which was a lie. I am a SELECT PLUS rider who has been taking this train for 12 years. I also purchase multiple tickets at once well in advance of my travel to make sure I can get Business Class seats.

I called Amtrak about this last week and there was nothing they could do to guarantee me I won't be bumped every Monday morning going from SJM-CHI. Doesn't matter if you're Select Plus, doesn't matter that they've sat on your money for over 2 months so you could ensure a Business Class seat, doesn't matter that you've been riding this train every week in and out for 12+ years. The guy that rides once a year who bought his ticket yesterday (because they are STILL selling them!) gets his seat because he gets on in Grand Rapids. That is no way to treat your frequent travelers.

ESPECIALLY since it's due to a stupid error like not adjusting the website to the equipment. The conductors have had to deal with this as well as those people who reserved LOWER LEVEL seats (which they are still selling today) that don't exist on this equipment. How hard is it to just fix the website and app? I understand that when equipment changes unexpectedly this could happen. But the single deckers are now what will be in service until next winter and we are 3 weeks in. I just don't get how Amtrak can still not have this updated 3 weeks after the fact!

If anyone has any suggestions on who to call I will call them. Thanks in advance.

just to be clear - I don't expect them to give me a Bus Class seat when there aren't any. I simply expect them to STOP selling tickets as if there are seats to sell when there aren't. Not keep selling tickets for equipment that isn't running (and this goes for those people who specifically needed lower level too).

You should have superliner equipment for the immediate future. This isn't an IT problem and it has nothing to do with the website. I'll try to send you a pm.

Superliners are the double deckers right? Conductors have said the move to the single decker trains are for the next several months until next winter.

. This isn't an IT problem and it has nothing to do with the website. I'll try to send you a pm.
From my outside vantage point, I agree with the first statement. It seems to me to be a data entry problem; and if the data on the website is inaccurate, then it's a website problem.

Now of course, if the system designers made it impossible to change the inventory if the inventory (number of seats available) changed, then it's an IT problem. But this seems very unlikely.

You should have superliner equipment for the immediate future. This isn't an IT problem and it has nothing to do with the website. I'll try to send you a pm.
Sounds like it has something to do with the website, something to do with the call center folks, and something to do with a lack of results oriented management.

Most of the Michigan routes only run Superliners during the winter. The exception is the Pete Marquette that usually runs Superliners year around unless there is an equipment shortage. Last year they were gone for a period of time which was unusual.

I rode the Pete Marquette last Wednesday and the Superliners were back on.

Most of the Michigan routes only run Superliners during the winter. The exception is the Pete Marquette that usually runs Superliners year around unless there is an equipment shortage. Last year they were gone for a period of time which was unusual.

I rode the Pete Marquette last Wednesday and the Superliners were back on.
ok that's interesting then since I was told Superliners were off until next winter...hmmm...guess I'll see on Monday! Thanks!

Sounds like it has something to do with the website, something to do with the call center folks, and something to do with a lack of results oriented management.
agree - if there is a permanent/for the foreseeable future change in equipment the website should reflect that. Unexpected changes in equipment it's understandable not to change the website.

Amtrak OIC has noted that the EPIC system -- the system that handles ticketing and is the one "facing the customer" -- was designed without input from Amtrak's Information Technology department. The system is in trouble. The information technology area lacks a consistent national framework, with some departments developing computer systems without oversight or cooperation in information technology. ARROW appears to be incompatible with some systems that should feed into it, or use ARROW's output.

See link to report from the Office of the Inspector General: https://www.amtrakoig.gov/sites/default/files/reports/OIG-SP-2017-009.pdf

See also the article at "Progressive Railroading" : http://www.progressiverailroading.com/amtrak/news/OIG-report-examines-Amtrak-management-challenges--51266

Well I was going to remove my post since I've since learned that the double deckers are in fact back and the move to the single level trains will likely be later in the spring as usual. However there's some interesting info from other people here so I'll leave it.

Thanks everyone who provided info!!

Back