Amtrak Compared to Via Rail for Future LD Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've traveled on all the Amtrak LD trains west of Chicago at least once in the last 4 years. Just for a change, I'm considering taking Via Rail from Toronto to Vancouver for my next trip. On Amtrak, I always travel solo in a roomette. I would most likely book a cabin for 1 on Via.

Has anyone traveled with both railroads recently? How do they compare especially with regard to a roomette vs cabin for 1?

Via is quite a bit more expensive, even when factoring in the exchange rate but it is a four night journey.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

I'll be taking that train next week in sleeper for one. It may be expensive but I've heard that the meals are top notch that I can't even pronounce those words.

Next time whenever you book, check for special fares on Tuesdays special on ViaRail.com. I kept looking at it for two Tuesdays and several of them were on Canadian but nothing for sleeper for solo travelers on that date I want to depart.

I will post it in two weeks if I'm in the mood.

I have as you been on all the LD trains going west from Chicago within the last 3-4 yrs and on the VIA twice once each direction. The VIA cars are one level so much more room on the top bunk. The cabin size is about the same. The bedding is more comfortable and everything is clean. The meals are similar and very good we thought. We went off season so not at all crowded.

I totally agree with the berth idea. They are two high have a huge bathroom in that car and make into a long bench seat during the day. Another reason to go off season you could sleep up and have access to the lower seating during the day. The space seemed large and comfortable to us

Meals are infinitely better on Via, or certainly were 2 years ago when we rode from Vancouver to Toronto. If they still provide access to the Park car at the end of the train, that's another major plus. We got to the station several hours early and checked our bags at the desk. When we came back to board, the bags were already in our room for 2. Fantastic service, for the most part (one Park Car attendant was pleasant enough, but lazy). His replacement delivered drinks to the upper level. We took the trip in January, so being less busy may have produced better service all around.

Meals are better.

Onboard staff is more consistently good.

DOME CARS and you are riding the last real streamliner.

Mattress in the roomette (because that is what it is) is better and wider. Plus the mattress is even with the window, you don't have to prop your head up to look out.

Ride it in the off-season. More access to the Park Car for Sleeper Plus passengers, feels more like a 'real' train than the 26 car monster it is in the summer.

Downsides: Only runs 2/3x a weeks. Timekeeping can be very bad. You think CSX or UP handle Amtrak poorly, they are great compared to the way CN handles VIA.

I traveled Seattle-Vancouver-Toronto-New York-Washington-Chicago-Los Angeles-Seattle in March, so I have recent experience with both.

Check out discount Tuesdays. You can get off-season fares comparable to an Amtrak journey of similar length if you are flexible.

Join VIA Preference. A single one-way journey in a roomette, even at discount, is enough to put you in the Privilege tier, which gets you a 50% off coupon you can use AT ANY TIME, which pretty much makes every day Discount Tuesday, plus the ability to plan further ahead and choose pretty much any travel day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today being Discount Tuesday, there are some deals for roomettes (cabin for 1) Vancouver-Toronto for $1261.50 CAD. That is $951.87 USD at current exchange rates. That is at least competitive in price with a 4 night journey on Amtrak at the lower buckets.

Oops, that is $1324.58 CAD with the taxes added in. This is still just $999.47 USD, still competitive with Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're looking to save money, the berth is a good idea. I was on one on the Ocean when it still had Budd equipment. It was as good as I remember from pre-Amtrak. Think Superliner roomette without the outside door/wall and no steps or closet - so bed is much wider. And thicker and softer - it's great. Your attendant will furnish a ladder if you're in the top bunk. Another good feature is that you have an unobstructed view out both sides of the car. The only downside: you're sacrificing some privacy (you do have a curtain at night) which shouldn't be a problem if the train isn't crowded. What VIA calls a cabin for 1 is really the original roomette. Much like a viewliner roomette (includes toilet/sink) but only one seat and bed. Very nice for the solo traveler.

Agree with what's been posted about the Canadian. I would only add that even though the equipment is more than 60 years old, it is cleaner and better maintained than Amtrak cars. And of course the ability to see forward in the dome car, rather than just to the side, is a real plus for the traveler. Nothing better than to be in a darkened dome at night and watch the block signals ahead change from green to red as they pass you. The Park car is a real plus too not only for its dome but also the observation end to watch the track roll by and good view of trains sitting in sidings for you (hopefully). Upon our departure from Toronto we were invited back to the Park car dome for hor's d'oeurves and champagne. Not sure if that's still done with Prestige class.

They still served hors d'oeurves and champagne in the Park car upon departure from Vancouver as well as from Jasper when I rode it in March. They actually do it in all the sleeper Skylines ("activity cars") during peak season when there are usually two Skylines for the sleepers. The Park was the only sleeper dome when I rode it in March, no sleeper Skylines, which I understand is normal in the off season.

In peak season, when there are Skylines for Sleeper Plus, it would be consistent that the welcome party in the Park be restricted to Prestige, with the Sleeper Plus passengers going to the closest Skyline.

I'm in complete agreement with those who suggested a berth. I had a lower berth last October and found it very comfortable. As stated above, there are two large bathrooms (men and women), which are kept very clean by the attendant. They even washed the bathroom floor every night! The berths are next to the showers. The meals are prepared by a five-star chef and are excellent. I traveled late in October and found the scenery great. Winter, with snow, would have been better, but where I live I might not have been able to get to my home station to start the trip.

I have looked at a cabin for 2 since it has a bathroom. Do all the cabins for two just have 2 chairs for seating? On Amtrak I enjoy the bedroom couch to stretch out on. very much.

I have looked at a cabin for 2 since it has a bathroom. Do all the cabins for two just have 2 chairs for seating? On Amtrak I enjoy the bedroom couch to stretch out on. very much.
On the Canadian, you can ask the sleeping car attendant to leave your bed down in the daytime, but it's not feasible to have even one chair and a bed available at the same time. If you like to stretch out during the day, I'd suggest leaving the berth down and using the Park Car for sitting up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back