amtrak conductor shot at Naperville

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if this adds any new information, but here is a transcript of what was heard on the Broadcastify stream of Naperville area railroads. I put a _ to omit names of people who have not been publicly identified.

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: [unintelligible] to it, let's do it, conductor, work is clear back here.

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Did he just get shot or somethin'?

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: I don't know. A little busy. What do you see up there?

Amtrak #4 Engineer: I heard a gunshot and he fell, and then he ran.

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: Call 911!

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Amtrak 4, East End Dispatcher, over.

[Emergency call placed to BNSF East End Dispatcher]

BNSF East End Dispatcher: BNSF East End Dispatcher.

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Yeah, East End Dispatcher, Amtrak 4 here at Naperville. I think somebody might've shot at our conductor here. On the platform.

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: [unintelligible] He's been shot! We need an ambulance now!

BNSF East End Dispatcher: Sorry, could you repeat that Amtrak, over?

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Yeah, I heard a gunshot and I saw my conductor fall, then he got up and ran.

BNSF East End Dispatcher: Ok, uh, your conductor? Is he a victim, over?

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Uh, we need the police and probably an ambulance. I see a lot of people runnin' around back there.

BNSF East End Dispatcher: Ok, roger that.

Amtrak #4 Engineer: _, what's goin' on?

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: Mike...Mike's been shot!

Amtrak #4 Engineer: All right, we've got the police and ambulance comin'.

BNSF East End Dispatcher: BNSF East End, Amtrak 4, ambulance and police are notified, over.

Amtrak #4 Engineer: All right. It looks like some of the conductors wrestled the perpetrator to the ground here on the platform, at the east end of it.

BNSF East End Dispatcher: Ok, copy that. We'll, uh, sit tight until I get an all clear from somebody, over.

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Roger, sittin' tight.

BNSF East End Dispatcher: BNSF East End, Amtrak 4, over.

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Amtrak 4, over.

BNSF East End Dispatcher: Do you know if your...is your conductor ok, did anything happen to him?

[Audio cuts out/interference]

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: _, can we get three-point protection?

Amtrak #4 Engineer: All right, it'll be a second. I gotta go to the second unit and shut the HEP supply.

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: All right, I'm gonna have...they're looking for the [power?] on this guy he used to shoot Mike with. So I'm gonna, uh...I'm gonna help 'em look.

BNSF East End Dispatcher: Amtrak 4, did you call, over?

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Yeah, I have a status report. Passenger did shoot the conductor in the gut. He's en route to the hospital right now.

BNSF East End Dispatcher: Ok, copy that. I've got all train traffic stopped for our ROC and the authorities, so waitin' on where and all we'll need to go. Let me know if you know you need anything, over.

Amtrak #4 Engineer: Ok, we'll sit tight.

Naperville Agent: Naperville Agent to Conductor _, come in.

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: Yeah, go ahead, _.

Naperville Agent: Ok, I have one of the detectives in here. Amtrak Police are on the phone wanting to know, "are you ok," and I said you are. What about...I don't know who you're workin' with. All I saw was someone in white go down. Was that your AC, or your conductor?

Amtrak #4 Asst. Conductor: _, just come to the dorm...to the bag car up here, will ya?

Naperville Agent: All right, I will. I'll be right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
WLS-TV/ABC7-Chicago had an update on their afternoon newscast today; the same reporter who covered the story as it happened yesterday afternoon (and misidentified the terminus of the train) did the update today. No indications from today's update that the pax was on a Metra train; even the aerial shot (assuming non-stock footage) only shows one train in the station, presumably the primary affected Southwest Chief. The story notes the shot conductor was 45 years old and a resident of suburban Homewood IL. A 'transportation expert' from DePaul University was also interviewed and noted that the nature of passenger trains means that airline-style security is not possible.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/charges-pending-against-suspect-in-naperville-amtrak-shooting/2005039/

Unfortunately this sounds like a random act of violence perpetrated by a mentally ill criminal. Its sad but sick people can do terrible things for no reason.
I'm inclined to believe he probably had some sort of nutty screwball reason that somehow made sense to him. What I cannot fathom is what sort of reason the rest of us have for sitting on our hands afterward. We shake our heads and lament the tragedy and express our condolences but never move so much as a finger to prevent it from happening again.

Not important in the scheme of things, but there are two obvious typos in the article that spell-check would not have caught. (gentile for gentle; effected for affected)

I only point this out as further evidence that the article was not written by one of the better newspaper reporters, so no surprise if they got some of their facts wrong.

The conductor does look like a truly nice man--hopefully he will be okay.

i could just see some old timer all riled up "i'm gonna teach that whipper-snapper conductor a lesson or two yessiree bob boy howdy!!"

Thanks mwmnp for posting the emergency radio transcript!

This is the "Fargo" FX opening chyron title card:

THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 2010. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.

Fortunately no dead at the Naperville shooting.

Thanks mwmnp for posting the emergency radio transcript!

This is the "Fargo" FX opening chyron title card:

THIS IS A TRUE STORY. The events depicted in this film took place in Minnesota in 2010. At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.

Fortunately no dead at the Naperville shooting.
Oddly, neither the movie nor the television show is based on a true story.

Unfortunately this sounds like a random act of violence perpetrated by a mentally ill criminal. Its sad but sick people can do terrible things for no reason.
I'm inclined to believe he probably had some sort of screwball reason that somehow made sense to him. What I cannot fathom is what sort of reason the rest of us have for sitting on our hands afterward. You know, the supposedly sane people who claim to care about such things. We shake our heads and lament the tragedy and express our condolences but never move so much as a finger to prevent it from happening again. Even watching innocent children murdered by the dozens isn't enough to get us to take action. If we're going to act like a nation of impotent cowards then maybe we should stop pretending we ever really cared in the first place.
I'm inclined to believe he probably had some sort of screwball reason that somehow made sense to him. What I cannot fathom is what sort of reason the rest of us have for sitting on our hands afterward. You know, the supposedly sane people who claim to care about such things. We shake our heads and lament the tragedy and express our condolences but never move so much as a finger to prevent it from happening again. Even watching innocent children murdered by the dozens isn't enough to get us to take action. If we're going to act like a nation of impotent cowards then maybe we should stop pretending we ever really cared in the first place.
If you are suggesting that America today is far, far too ambivalent and irresolute you are absolutely and completely correct. There are many problems and mistaken policies and agendas which would not stand if the people opposed to them would simply take a stand for what is right. Such inaction has allowed groups with radical agendas to move this great country away from the God fearing nation and people we once were.

But from a practical standpoint, exactly what should we do to help ensure such things do not happen again (or, happen more rarely)? It's not, or at least shouldn't be - a political issue; There has been violence in the world ever since Cain killed Abel. Airline-style security is questionable even for the airlines, and certainly won't work with rail. Nor are elements of a 'police state' effective or desirable. So, again, what can we do different?

I'm inclined to believe he probably had some sort of nutty screwball reason that somehow made sense to him. What I cannot fathom is what sort of reason the rest of us have for sitting on our hands afterward. We shake our heads and lament the tragedy and express our condolences but never move so much as a finger to prevent it from happening again.
Perhaps you have the solution to prevent all marital abuse as well D.A.

:eek:hboy:

The latest news reports say a 70-year-old passenger from Wisconsin shot the conductor through a window. Other passengers tackled the guy and held him for police. Don't know the motivation, perhaps some kind of argument with the conductor?
What the...
You're not the only one who had that reaction.. The windows are bulletproof. Made of Lexan IINM. What is possible, is that the shooter opened the window in the door? But yeah I'm stumped.
The passenger car Lexan (or equal) windows are shatter proof, but not bullet proof.
Thank you for that information Bill. I forget where I heard that it was Bulletproof, but I did.

Perhaps you have the solution to prevent all marital abuse as well D.A.

:eek:hboy:
Hell, even I have the solution to that. Stop getting married!!! Geez! :hi:

17gxqd.jpg

From a practical standpoint, exactly what should we do to help ensure such things do not happen again (or, happen more rarely)? It's not, or at least shouldn't be - a political issue; There has been violence in the world ever since Cain killed Abel. Airline-style security is questionable even for the airlines, and certainly won't work with rail. Nor are elements of a 'police state' effective or desirable. So, again, what can we do different?
There are many possible solutions but the approach I support most would be to follow Australia's path.

Some guns would remain of course, but the majority would be turned over eventually, either out of genuine concern or because of simple financial necessity. Those that continued to harbor such weaponry would risk massive fines and extended jail time to do so. You can still purchase guns on the black market but the costs are so high that it's rare for guns to be used in connection with random or indiscriminate violence. Only the most hated of people need to worry about being shot when costs reach extreme levels. Unfortunately our domestic gun industry is far too powerful and politically connected to allow for a relatively simple transition and resolution like Australia experienced.

That being the case the next best approach may be to follow in the footsteps of the anti-smoking movement. If you cannot ban lethal weaponry outright then you can simply make it more and more tedious and expensive to purchase and use such weapons. Tax them, regulate them, and monitor them with increasing vigor over time. Fund long lived and ever-present public awareness campaigns that make it difficult for people to simply ignore or forget the issue. Penalize movies and television shows that glorify casual gun use just as we did with casual tobacco use. Not that long ago Americans were at the mercy of our domestic tobacco industry and a compliant do-nothing media, just as we're currently at the mercy of the gun industry and a compliant do-nothing media today.

Both industries were extremely well funded and politically connected but that didn't stop us from turning the tables in the war on tobacco and it won't stop us from winning the war on gun violence either. We could also take a page from a country like Canada where guns are fairly common but a stronger safety net and universal healthcare gives people who are suffering a major setback a better chance to receive appropriate counseling and/or medication in order to navigate their way through life altering developments without resorting to violence and murder.

Apparently, he's a retired federal law enforcement officer. Please allow a brief "fair use" quote from the above link:

Prosecutors said Klein had headed for Las Vegas by train on Monday because he was unhappy with his situation at an independent living facility in West Allis, a suburb of Milwaukee. But he changed his mind and got off the westbound train in Kansas City, planning to catch an eastbound train back home.

He caused a disturbance because the Chicago-bound train was late into Kansas City, and passengers reported he displayed "disturbing behavior" during the trip back to Chicago. Amtrak employees had been trying to assist Klein to ensure he would reach Chicago's Union Station and get on a connecting train to Milwaukee.

Amtrak personnel prevented Klein from getting off in Naperville because it wasn't the right stop, and the doors were shut to keep him in the train. But he became enraged and drew a .38-caliber Smith & Wesson revolver before leaning out a window and shooting the conductor, who was on the platform, once in the torso, prosecutors said.

The state of Wisconsin had revoked a concealed carry permit Klein had obtained, she said. Klein also told them he had pulled his weapon during two other altercations, but they did not provide information in court on either incident, she said.

During the bond hearing, Klein did not appear to grasp the nature of the situation. He said several times that he would be leaving tomorrow and declined the services of a public defender.

"I don't need one if I'm leaving",he said

from the Tribune: "Amtrak personnel prevented Klein from getting off

in Naperville because it wasn't the right stop, and the doors were

shut to keep him in the train."

Do Amtrak employees have the authority to shut the doors to prevent

passengers from getting off the train? (unless the train was moving or

at an unscheduled stop, or perhaps the passenger just robbed someone

on the train?)

If not, doesn't that constitute false imprisonment? I know that doesn't

justify shooting the conductor, of course. :)

Imho The goal of the Amtrak employees at this point was to ensure the guy got to his final destination. By now I'm sure they had figured out that he was not completely coherent. It would have been easier to let the guy off at Naperville.

It's easy to look at this with 20/20 hindsight.

If you are suggesting that America today is far, far too ambivalent and irresolute you are absolutely and completely correct. There are many problems and mistaken policies and agendas which would not stand if the people opposed to them would simply take a stand for what is right. Such inaction has allowed groups with radical agendas to move this great country away from the God fearing nation and people we once were.

But from a practical standpoint, exactly what should we do to help ensure such things do not happen again (or, happen more rarely)? It's not, or at least shouldn't be - a political issue; There has been violence in the world ever since Cain killed Abel. Airline-style security is questionable even for the airlines, and certainly won't work with rail. Nor are elements of a 'police state' effective or desirable. So, again, what can we do different?
Let me give you two examples I personally experienced less than two weeks ago.... After working 178 on Monday night/Tuesday morning, I took a flight up to Canada to go help out my husband with immigration and passport paperwork while I was on my relief. Since I slept at the station after working, I still had my work tools on me, which included two paring knifes. I always pack my work tools in my luggage of course when I go to fly after working. However...this trip I forgot, as I was a little low on sleep (less than three hours of sleep because of how early my flight was). The TSA didn't catch either of my knifes as the passed through the X-ray machine in my backpack. I only remembered after my bag came out and they released me, and I said to them, "Oh s---t, I think I forgot to take something out.... *digs in my backpack and finds my tool bag* Yeah, I did. Crap. You guys want to take this and throw it out for me? *hands them one paring knife* Oh, and this one too? *hands them the second one*"

Yeah, they had no clue. The operator for the machine said to another agent he couldn't see either one of them.

Then in Canada there was another major blunder at Trudeau airport in Montreal. So lets think...even if you don't do checked baggage, how many people check your boarding pass and should prevent you from entering the secure side of the airport if you're not traveling through that terminal, that airport, or that date? In Canada, at least three (one person checks before you get in line for the CATSA screening, a CATSA agent scans the boarding pass at the x-ray machine, and then the gate agent). Well, low and behold and we board our flight and take a 15 minute delay while the flight crew and gate agent try to figure out why the head count is one more than the paperwork says we should have. What happened? A passenger was holding a ticket for the same flight, but the next day.

Makes me feel real safe flying. Yup!

Imho The goal of the Amtrak employees at this point was to ensure the guy got to his final destination. By now I'm sure they had figured out that he was not completely coherent. It would have been easier to let the guy off at Naperville.

The only way they should have let him off at Naperville would have been if there were cops or mental health personnel waiting at the station when they arrived. You do really believe blithely letting someone who is "not completely coherent" off a train, having the unsuspecting residents of Naperville deal with the consequences, would have been the right thing to do? Really?

The only way they should have let him off at Naperville would have been if there were cops or mental health personnel waiting at the station when they arrived. You do really believe blithely letting someone who is "not completely coherent" off a train, having the unsuspecting residents of Naperville deal with the consequences, would have been the right thing to do? Really?
Now in hindsight the Conductor(s) should have put him OFF the train as soon as they realized he was a potential problem and a risk to the safety of crew and pax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back