Amtrak confirms ‘Phase III’ scheme for 'Empire Service' locomo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrdude

Engineer
This might have been posted, but if it was, I missed it, and the mods can merge.

From Trains NewsWire:

By Chase Gunnoe | January 12, 2016
RELATED TOPICS: AMTRAK | PASSENGER | LOCOMOTIVES | RAILFANNING

No. 704 trails on the westbound 'Cardinal' as it arrives in Chicago on Jan. 7.
Mark Hinsdale

NEW YORK – Passengers along the Empire Service route to Upstate New York can look forward to more of Amtrak’s "Phase III" paint scheme.

GE P32AC-DM No. 704 rolled into the windy city last week displaying a Phase III paint scheme....................

Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't get Amtrak's current obsession with Phase III.

I'm not sure if it's being driven by the marketing department... or one executive that really liked Phase III... but I bet the obsession isn't from the financial department. The railroad spent the last decade (and I'm sure plenty of money) putting everything into Phase V and IVb... just to change it back.

I get that paint is usually reapplied as a part of the normal maintenance cycle of equipment... and most of the locomotives were repainted accordingly... but it all seems like a huge waste to me.

I'm not sure if it's being driven by the marketing department... or one executive that really liked Phase III... but I bet the obsession isn't from the financial department. The railroad spent the last decade (and I'm sure plenty of money) putting everything into Phase V and IVb... just to change it back.

I get that paint is usually reapplied as a part of the normal maintenance cycle of equipment... and most of the locomotives were repainted accordingly... but it all seems like a huge waste to me.
All of the new Viewliner II's will be painted in Phase IIIb (diners, baggage dorms, sleepers), and there are a lot of rumors and some from good sources that they intend on going system wide with the Phase IIIb (All locomotives too, except for NEC/Sprinters/Acela). Maybe repainting amfleets, but my guess is they'll wait until the new coach cars come out.

I completely agree. Unless they repaint the whole single level long distance fleet, it will likely look pretty atrocious to have a handful of cars in a different scheme.. I liked Phase III. It is the livery I remember as a kid, but Amtrak finally has a fleet that looks uniform, so I'm not sure why we're gonna change it now.

I completely agree. Unless they repaint the whole single level long distance fleet, it will likely look pretty atrocious to have a handful of cars in a different scheme.. I liked Phase III. It is the livery I remember as a kid, but Amtrak finally has a fleet that looks uniform, so I'm not sure why we're gonna change it now.
Because when someone sees a dirty grey and blue "professional" look train, it's not exciting, doesn't peak interest. When someone boards or sees a train go by that's flashy red white and blue, they think "cool" and get interested in figuring out what it was.

When I see phase 3 I think 1985!

This is not the image i think Amtrak wants to portray.

That said, I'd give a lot to ride today on a heritage consist with slumbercoaches, ex US Army lounges, with everything in the train being bright orange tan and brown.

But I am an oddity. I accept that. Which makes this bad marketing for Amtrak to go with.

That said, I'd give a lot to ride today on a heritage consist with slumbercoaches, ex US Army lounges, with everything in the train being bright orange tan and brown.

But I am an oddity. I accept that. Which makes this bad marketing for Amtrak to go with.
It's targeted more I think to people that have never ridden Amtrak.

In marketing terms, Amtrak couldn't possibly do worse than the blue, grey, pinstriped "Navy" look they've been using. Phase IIIb is a vast improvement from a marketing point of view.

I presume they're repainting them as they go through their regular cycle of painting so that there's no extra financial cost. Given what a dull scheme the previous look was, I honestly think a mix of IIIb and whatever they were using before is going to look like... IIIb with some cars missing their paint job. :)

Looks terrible IMO, never been a fan.

Mismatched paint schemes on a single train look awful, very unprofessional.

My question is the entire fleet of cars going to Phase III. Or are some of the Amfleet Is remaining in phase iv. Same goes for the Superliners. From a marketing point I see phase III as the best. And I personally think it's the best paint scheme Amtrak has ever had. But it looked god awful on the AEM7s

Originally I got the impression a year or so back that the Amtrak single level LD fleet was the one going to Phase IIIb. But with some of the latest happenings, it seems more like everything (with emphasis on single level fleet) will eventually go to Phase IIIb as they rotate through maintenance cycles.

If they were focusing on LD, they would not have started putting Phase IIIb on the 7xx DMs which are arguably all used just in the NYP - ALB sector. Also the strong rumors floating around about the P42s and P40s getting Phase IIIb striping suggests that at least all the diesel fleet might get these colors. I am not sure what, if any implications can be derived from this regarding passenger cars. Clearly the Viewliner generation of cars seem to be destined to go Phase IIIb. Who knows what is planned for Amfleets and Superliners? I don't.

The last time Amtrak was ran by a railroader, the late great Graham Claytor. The last an Amtrak train looked uniformed from the locomotive to the pax cars.

This might have been posted, but if it was, I missed it, and the mods can merge.

From Trains NewsWire:

By Chase Gunnoe | January 12, 2016