Amtrak confirms ‘Phase III’ scheme for 'Empire Service' locomo

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AAF is a special exception, since each of their consist is going to have a distinct livery following a common theme, and pretty much each will have a livery that differs subtly from the others. So much for common livery ;)

You

I don't see the penchant some have for uniformity. It certainly didn't exist prior to 1971 when cars were switched en route an added to other railroads' crack trains. Frankly, I don't care what color the trains are, as long as they perform well and get passengers to places with some modicum of timeliness.
I agree. Uniform livery varnish for a few top of the line trains can be afforded only by a huge passenger operation which of course the Amtrak LD system is not. It is more or less a skeletal operation. For it providing superior service in clean, comfortable accommodation in a predictable way is more important than matching livery. They could pay more attention to washing their equipment to improve their image as a starter.
All of it is important,if a livery wasn't important airlines would not spend millions finding the right look.
But it is not unusual at all to have two or three liveries existing side by side for differentiated branding or livery transition reasons. At the end of the day though very very few, if any, choose to fly an airline because of its livery.
I've never seen multiple incongruous liveries combined on a single aircraft, which is how Amtrak looks when they mix different cars from different liveries into a single train. People often ask what Amtrak can do that's completely within their power and their control. The livery is something that Amtrak has complete and total control over, so if it looks bad then that's entirely on Amtrak and nobody else. Not Congress, not Mica or Shuster, not the freight railroads, not the FRA or STB, just Amtrak.

For it providing superior service in clean, comfortable accommodation in a predictable way is more important than matching livery. They could pay more attention to washing their equipment to improve their image as a starter.

I agree that Amtrak needs to do a much better job on maintence and cleanliness of equipment rather than wasting money on paint schemes which is like putting lipstick on a pig.YMMV
Indeed. However, it isn't always cut and dry, particularly when vehicles are challenging the equipment to a joust on an almost daily basis. Sometimes, an engine turn immediately upon arrival. Additionally, there is weather to consider. Most car wash facilities will not operate when the temperature is close to freezing. It is easy for dirt, grime and dust to build up on the exterior for this period.

Was 704 rebuilt/rehabbed, or just repainted?
Rebuilt and painted.

It wasn't rebuilt.

I've never seen multiple incongruous liveries combined on a single aircraft, which is how Amtrak looks when they mix different cars from different liveries into a single train. People often ask what Amtrak can do that's completely within their power and their control. The livery is something that Amtrak has complete and total control over, so if it looks bad then that's entirely on Amtrak and nobody else. Not Congress, not Mica or Shuster, not the freight railroads, not the FRA or STB, just Amtrak.
This statement is not entirely true and for all of the comments on various boards, we have easily missed what could be painfully obvious...if you think about it...and when I say "we", I include myself since I didn't initially put two and two together. :ph34r:

710 was on #48 this morning as the 3rd unit behind 147 and 85. Two PV's on the rear (Charter Club & St. James Place), very classy!

YouTube user Marc Meissner posted this video of the Lake Shore Limited with AMTK 710 and the two private cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look closely and you'll see the 710 carries lettering for RENSSELAER similar to how the other special units carry lettering for BEECH GROVE. 704 was not given this detail.

Look closely and you'll see the 710 carries lettering for RENSSELAER similar to how the other special units carry lettering for BEECH GROVE. 704 was not given this detail.
It's another throwback to the F40 days. They used to get stenciled for where they were based out of back when they were assigned to specific pools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back