Amtrak Consist Changes and Service Cuts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
Amtrak consist changes and service cuts as posted by Gene Poon on the All Aboard Yahoo Group.

Announced in an Amtrak internal advisory on 06FEB04 are the following consist changes and service reductions, made necessary by critical equipment shortages:

Trains 19/20, Crescent:

Continued Viewliner problems and Amtrak's inability to get sufficient cars back on the road mean that the second Viewliner sleeping car line on the Crescent will not return until April 26 and April 28, on Trains 19 and 20 respectively.  Also, Amfleet-II smoking lounges are being transferred to the Lake Shore Ltd., and the Crescent will become a nonsmoking train.

=====================================================

Trains 48/49, 448/449, Lake Shore Ltd.

In an attempt to address the unacceptable performance of the Lake Shore Ltd., Trains 448/449 will become a stub train operation with cross platform transfer at Albany-Rensselaer, beginning February 17.  There will no longer be through car service between Chicago and Boston; the Lounge car will operate between Chicago and New York; and it will be an Amfleet-II smoking lounge, transferred from the Crescent, making the Lake Shore no longer a nonsmoking train.

This will match the Lake Shore consist to that of the New York-Miami Silver Service trains and will change the equipment rotation, getting the train's cars to their Hialeah maintenance base more frequently.  At New York, Train 92 will turn to Train 49; Train 48 will turn to Train 91.

Standard consist of Trains 48/49 will become two units, Baggage, Dorm, two Viewliner sleepers, Diner, Lounge (smoking), and four Coaches, plus mail and express.

Standard consist of Trains 448/449 will be Baggage, Cafe Car (crummysnackbar), two Coaches.

Train 448(16) will be last to operate from Chicago.

These changes will remain until 07MAY04, at which time the combined operation of New York and Boston cars on one train CHI-ALB is planned to resume.

Trains 50/51, Cardinal

This train has had its Viewliner Sleeping Car, Diner, Crew Dorm and baggage car removed, and this will now continue until the Spring Timetable change on 26APR04.  Train will consist of Lounge car and three Coaches.  No checked baggage service.

Also, Train 51 will no longer operate as part of Regional Train 155 between New York and Washington on Sundays, but will run as a separate train.

Trains 66/67, Federal

Sleeping Car service on this train is suspended until the Fall Timetable change.  The first day the sleeper is planned to operate is now October 25 in both directions.

NOTE: If equipment problems persist, these service reductions may be extended, or more reductions may be implemented.

All I can say is WOW! :eek: :blink:

This is not good news and is going to really hurt ridership on many trains. This may even lead to the eventual demise of the Cardinal, assuming that Amtrak can overcome the legislation that requires a train to run through that area.

On the other hand the fact that sleepers aren't returning to the Cardinal until the timetable change, coupled with the separation of 51 and 155, may mean that the Cardinal is going back to Superliner equipment.

But the loss of the sleeper on the Federal until next fall is going to devastate ridership on that train. The lack of thru service from Boston to Chicago is also not a good thing.

These are interesting changes, it seems like the best way to make do with what we have. Alan, it would be nice if the Cardinal going Superliner at some point were the result of all of this. This certainly isn't good though. Separating the Lake Shore and essentially giving the Boston Sleeper to the New York section seems feaseable for now to keep the operation smooth. It makes sense to give the Lounge to the Lake Shore since its running in colder weather, and its easier for a smoker to get out off on the Crescent since its running towards warmer weather, without necessarily freezing. These changes mean that at one point or another all Viewliners are concentrated in New York, and can be rotated.

The Federal, definitely isn't having any luck, so getting a sleeper on is important as are recovering from this disaster. The bottom line for all of this is we need more Viewliners particularly a sleeper design.

At least Silver Service is holding up. :D

Viewliner said:
The bottom line for all of this is we need more Viewliners particularly a sleeper design.
Probably 15 Sleepers, 30 Dorms, and 30 Dining Cars will be a good cover. New York, Miami, New Orleans, and Chicago should all have atleast one spare Sleeper avalible in case of mechanical dificulties with another car.

Saw #19 headed to New Orleans this morning, running about 40 minutes behind schedule. Had the two Engines like normal (#21/14) but did in fact have that 1 pathetic viewliner :( .

I had standard bedroom reservations on the Cardinal from Charlottesville to Chicago, departing April 9 and returning April 13. Just called Amtrak and changed to the Capitol with the same dates. It's not that much more difficult for me to depart from and arrive in D.C. I was pleased that they honored the fare I got on January 6 when I made the initial reservation.

While I would prefer to travel via the Cardinal, I would rather find out now that the equipment isn't available rather than finding out that there's no sleeper when I get to the train station.

Southern Belle said:
I had standard bedroom reservations on the Cardinal  from Charlottesville to Chicago, departing April 9 and returning April 13. Just called Amtrak and changed to the Capitol with the same dates.  It's not that much more difficult for me to depart from and arrive in D.C.  I was pleased that they honored the fare I got on January 6 when I made the initial reservation.
I’m not at all surprised that Amtrak gave you the same fare. Since they are the ones making the change, not you, they will always keep the fare the same if there is an alternate train available.

Southern Belle said:
While I would prefer to travel via the Cardinal, I would rather find out now that the equipment isn't available rather than finding out that there's no sleeper when I get to the train station.
Amtrak would have called you before that date to inform you that the sleeper had been removed. It would not have been a surprise at the station.

However it is better that you called now, as the Capitol might well have sold out by the time that Amtrak did get around to calling you.

I'll be on #49 from NYP to CHI this coming Thursday.

I'm a smoker, so the change of lounge cars is good news to me. I was worried that I would loose my sleeping car but it seems that is not going to happen. Hopefully..

I'll post a trip report with consist #'s when I get back.

I would assume that there indeed would be some sort of "pecking order" as to what trains get sleeping cars when equipment problems arise. More than likely,number of advance sales would probably be the determining factor......Saying all that, #91 usually catches me at the crossing on my way to work(when it's reasonably on time!!)......and, I've not seen it with less than 2 Viewliner sleepers....occasionally, on a Friday or Monday southbound arrival...I'll see the third!!

Just an FYI

From the "Florida Funnel"

Foodman53

My biggest complaint about the changes is the fact that LSL equipment will be coming to Miami. Yes yes I understand that the cars need to get to Hialeah for maintenence and all that. But, the LSL equipment is ALWAYS dirty. We've gotten equipment a couple of times on 97 and those are some of the dirtiest cars I've ever seen. The Crew Dorms are always a mess, LSL never takes out their linens, there's dirt everywhere, just overall disgust from the equipment they bring over. I know the Star crews aren't going be happy about this, especially if you have a good car going north and a bad car coming back because of the change.

This whole mess definatly shows the need for more eastern long-distance equipment, ones that are less prone to freezing damage in cold snaps that the Northeast and midwest see during the winter.

The Boston Stub-section seems like an intresting operation, though not having thru car service is a negitive part, like Viewliner said it will definatly streamline the operation. 48 can arrive, the passengers to Boston can detrain and go directly to the awaiting 448 that is already on the correct track, fueled,serviced and ready to go. They could get that out of there in 10-15 minutes within the arrival of 48 if they are fairly quick with the baggage aspect of it (if there is any). There would be some decent make up time right there.

P40Power said:
This whole mess definatly shows the need for more eastern long-distance equipment, ones that are less prone to freezing damage in cold snaps that the Northeast and midwest see during the winter.
The Boston Stub-section seems like an intresting operation, though not having thru car service is a negitive part, like Viewliner said it will definatly streamline the operation. 48 can arrive, the passengers to Boston can detrain and go directly to the awaiting 448 that is already on the correct track, fueled,serviced and ready to go. They could get that out of there in 10-15 minutes within the arrival of 48 if they are fairly quick with the baggage aspect of it (if there is any). There would be some decent make up time right there.
While it may streamline things for Amtrak crews in Albany, it certainly will be a hassle for passengers. I can't imagine all the passengers being inconvinenced by moving all their luggage off one train and onto another. Frankly, I can't wait for the day when the Boston section of the LSL has two sleepers, a full lounge, and a diner. One can only dream.

To be honest what I think I would do and this is dependant completely on ridership numbers for this route that I have not seen is not run the Federal until such time as there is sufficient equipment to operate it. Reason is this, it is now uncapable of being what the marketers were selling it as a way to go from DC to BOS and be able to have some type of "greater amenities" or the "rolling hotel" along the way. If this new rotation works then I'm all for it but if it turns out to cause worse problems then it's really just a waste.

Cant believe they are going to make passengers switch trains on Chicago to Boston run (LSL). Is this temporary, or as stated earlier, will end after May?. What is the normal configuration for the Chi-Bos train; or is normal no longer used with the LSL? Is all the problems mention due to the winter, and will resolve in warmer weather; or is the LSL heading for extinction as we know it?

Are the cars really that dirty????

Man, this is depressing. Unlike Amtrak P-42, I have not yet seen the Crescent down to one Viewliner. It will not be a happy sight. Guess we have to be greatful to have what we have.........I considered seeing it on Saturday morning but it was about two hours late and I had other plans.

Guest said:
Cant believe they are going to make passengers switch trains on Chicago to Boston run (LSL). Is this temporary, or as stated earlier, will end after May?. What is the normal configuration for the Chi-Bos train; or is normal no longer used with the LSL? Is all the problems mention due to the winter, and will resolve in warmer weather; or is the LSL heading for extinction as we know it?
Are the cars really that dirty????
No, this is just the end product of years of defered maintainence and an extremely harsh winter on top of that. Garanteed there will be no extinction of the Lake Shore Limited and everything should be back to norm by the end of April. Except the Federal will be without a Sleeper until October, but what else is new?

Amfleet said:
Frankly, I can't wait for the day when the Boston section of the LSL has two sleepers, a full lounge, and a diner. One can only dream.
The day that happens is the day that it becomes its own train, probably also the day we get a full Viewliner fleet (or single level equipment) :lol:

Sadly, I think you're right Viewliner. Although it does seem like this route has the demand for two trains.

If thats the case, I guess the idea would be to run it similar to Silver Service, have say the New York Section leave mid/late morning, and then the Boston Section Leave in the late afternoon, going west. I guess then have the Boston Section leave Chicago around Noon, and NY section leave around dinnertime. I'm not sure how it would effect connections, but the schedule could always be restructured. Theoretically you'd want to give Boston the advantage on connectons, and have either the NY Section or Three Rivers have the decent times, since both routes would essentially be covered.

Viewliner said:
If thats the case, I guess the idea would be to run it similar to Silver Service, have say the New York Section leave mid/late morning, and then the Boston Section Leave in the late afternoon, going west. I guess then have the Boston Section leave Chicago around Noon, and NY section leave around dinnertime. I'm not sure how it would effect connections, but the schedule could always be restructured. Theoretically you'd want to give Boston the advantage on connectons, and have either the NY Section or Three Rivers have the decent times, since both routes would essentially be covered.
I wouldn't run the Boston section out of CHI at noon as that would mean passengers comming in from the west will not make their direct connection to BOS. I think if you have the Boston LSL depart around 5pm, Capitol Limited at 6pm, New York LSL at 7pm, Cardinal at 8pm, and Three Rivers at 9pm, that will spread operations out nicely and relieve some of the congestion that builds up during the evening hours in CHI.

As for westbound, remember it takes the Boston LSL longer to reach CHI, so I wouldn't give it an afternoon departure. I would say an 11am to noon departure would be more acceptable and get the train into CHI around 9-10am the next morning. The New York section could probably take a noon departure as well, but getting into CHI more around 7-8am, a little bit earlier. Remember, if the two sections are going to become to seperate trains you want their schedules between ALB and CHI spread out by atleast 2 hours.

Personally I see no reason to run the Boston LSL as a seperate train. That's simply a waste of money, track space, and crews. There is no reason not to continue combining the train at Albany, even if the Boston section has two sleepers.

What needs to happen is that there should be simply two daily departures from NYP & BOS to CHI along the same route, with corresponding return from CHI. Both trains would combine/split in Albany. Yes, I realize that I'm dreaming right now, but that's what Amtrak should be running. Not a seperate train from Boston and NY.

And trust me, the market is there for two daily trains, Amtrak simply doesn't have the equipment to field two trains. :( It all comes back to money, money that Amtrak hasn't been getting from the Feds. :angry:

AlanB said:
What needs to happen is that there should be simply two daily departures from NYP & BOS to CHI along the same route, with corresponding return from CHI. Both trains would combine/split in Albany. Yes, I realize that I'm dreaming right now, but that's what Amtrak should be running. Not a seperate train from Boston and NY.
I think a lot of us would like to see something like that on every long distance train: two departures per day every day. That way there wouldn't be too many places that would have trains coming through at odd hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back