Amtrak Consist Changes and Service Cuts

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As a old Amtrak vet in the "Good ol days"(1975-1979)....we would routinely switch sleeping car customers on the Silver Star, particularly northbound when the St. Pete and Miami sections would combine in Auburndale. These two sections were actually numbered as "82" and "92" by the reservations bureau. As long as the conductor was notified, this could be easily done.

Logistically, a coach passenger's ticket might read "Train 82..Tampa/NYP", but if he were to switch in Auburndale, his sleeper reservation would read "Train 92...Orlando/NYP", which at that time, was the first station north of the Auburndale wye

With an operating station in Albany, doing a similar sleeping car switch should be similarly easy.........particularly, if equipment availabilty didn't allow sleepers on both trains

Well something interesting has developed. A schedule change may be necessary anyway for the LSL. I'm receiving reports that the LSL crew is not going to overnight in Boston anymore. Now, this presents a curious situation. The trains right now are scheduled to meet near Springfield if everything is on time, which it rarely is. So either there will be a crew change at Springfield, with an Albany crew working ALB-SPG-ALB same day, and a BOS-SPG-BOS crew, but the timing is going to be really hard to work out, which may mean a schedule change. My sources are working to get more info on this, as I hear more I'll pass it along.

Well I saw #19 this morning running about 40 minutes late, and to my suprise, it had BOTH viewliners. Needless to say it made me happy.

I've got unconfirmed reports coming out of the Northeast that thr through car hasn't ceased yet. The Boston side has reportedly been having two coaches (either Amfleet I Amfleet II or Horizon) a Acela Regional lounge, a baggage car and two or three horses. Amtrak needs to make up their mind, either they're doing through cars or not.

battalion51 said:
I've got unconfirmed reports coming out of the Northeast that thr through car hasn't ceased yet. The Boston side has reportedly been having two coaches (either Amfleet I Amfleet II or Horizon) a Acela Regional lounge, a baggage car and two or three horses. Amtrak needs to make up their mind, either they're doing through cars or not.
Well since the effective date for thru service to end is February 17th according to the press release, and today is only the 15th, that would explain why cars on the Boston LSL are still running through. :)

OK I missed that effective February 17 part. :lol: They have reportedly removed the pro-tect Amfleet II lounge from Boston already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back