Amtrak Crescent.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh boy, here we go . . . the standard amout of P42s on the Crescent is 2.

BNSF_1088 said:
The last couple of times i have seen it only had 1 engine.
That is very rare. In 7 years, I have never seen it with only one Diesel Engine south of Washington, DC. Both me and Bill H. can vouch for that. However,after Washington DC (used to be Philidelphia) it generally only has only one. Can you recall the dates/Place that you saw #19/20 with only one P42?

AMTRAK-P42 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
That is very rare. In 7 years, I have never seen it with only one Diesel Engine south of Washington, DC. However,after Washington DC (used to be Philidelphia) it generally only has only one. Can you recall the dates/Place that you saw #19/20 with only one P42?
Before the Crescent was carrying 3-4 MHCs, but since those are now gone (or mostly gone) the train does not need 2 units, but only one.

I think I have seen it both ways, two engines and one.......trouble is, unless I am actually riding it, I usually just get fleeting glimpses. If I am on the bus or car going by the station, I can't really tell about the locos due to the angle. If I see if on an overpass or something, it is strictly a matter of chance what parts of it I see, have to watch my driving, too, of course. My first thought, always, is to glance at my watch and see if it is on time.

Amfleet said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
That is very rare. In 7 years, I have never seen it with only one Diesel Engine south of Washington, DC. However,after Washington DC (used to be Philidelphia) it generally only has only one. Can you recall the dates/Place that you saw #19/20 with only one P42?
Before the Crescent was carrying 3-4 MHCs, but since those are now gone (or mostly gone) the train does not need 2 units, but only one.
Actually Amfleet, It rarely had more then 2. The consist has generally been:

2 P42's

1 Dorm Lounge

2 Viewliners

1 Diner

1 Lounge

4-6 Coaches

1-2 MHC's (Baggage Cars)

It has been over a year and a half since it had more then 2 MHC's yet it has still been running with 2 P42's. However, I have not seen #20/#19 for about 40 days, which is the longest I have ever gone!, so its quite possible over the last 40 days it has been phased to only one.

Well, who knows? Gunn has been trying to cut back power on trains, so I would not be surprised if only 1 unit was on the head end.

FYI, you forgot the baggage car in your consist. ;)

Amfleet said:
FYI, you forgot the baggage car in your consist. ;)
Well actually that's the is the strange thing. Over the last 6 months, the Crescent had been running the baggage car on the end, behind all the coaches, which is why I included (Baggage Car) next to the MHC's. It was strange, and when I inquired about it, they told me that it was for safety concerns

I have a photo on Viewliner's webpage showing it at Washington on Feb 8, 2003 with two locos. I rode it in August and I certainly think it had two then, though my pix are at home so I cannot prove it from here. Will try to see it over the weekend. I rather suspect that P-42 will make a point of noticing also.

Well two motors is a sticky issue. If Amtrak had common sense, which we all know they don't, they would make up their minds on this issue, as the Crescent (which has nearly identical consists to Silver Service) can't need two motors, when Silver Service only needs one. IMHO they need to decide on a strict formula train by train how many motors it gets day to day, unless deadhead engines are involved, and stick with it. What they decide should make sense also because there's no way that the Crescent needs two, while Silver Service only needs one.

battalion51 said:
What they decide should make sense also because there's no way that the Crescent needs two, while Silver Service only needs one.
Well its true it does not NEED one, but I always love 2 verses 1 :p . Its also very photogenic. :lol:

Plus I think it would be kind of sad to lose that second unit after 7 years or more of 2...However I do see the problem, and I know its only a matter of time :( .

Don't get me wrong I wholeheartedly think that these trains both need two motors, but they need to get their heads screwed on straight and make a decision.

battalion51 said:
Don't get me wrong I wholeheartedly think that these trains both need two motors, but they need to get their heads screwed on straight and make a decision.
I agree. I think a strict standard of engines per-weight/length of a train should be created because if there is one now....its not very strict at all.

Well, of course, is is not just weight that matters---terrain is also important. but I cannot envision any significant difference in terrain between the Silver trains and the Crescent. Unless it is more hilly during the night in the Carolinas and Virginia on the Crescent than on the Silver trains and we don't know it because it is dark and we are asleep....but I do not think so.

Well I have not ridden much of the silver star, but I can tell you (as I tend to only sleep 1-2 hours (on purpose :D )) that the terrain is somewhat hilly, but nothing that I feel would warrant a second engine just based upon terrain. However, Im not expert, so I dont know for sure.

Actually there are many hilly areas trains travel through and we never realize it. Between Auburndale and Kissimmee, I would've bet you that the terrain is flat. But I would've been wrong, the terrain is actually quite hilly, but we the passengers can never tell the difference. A lot of the guys have a saying, and it's a true one "You never fully know a route until you've ridden on the head end," and it's true.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
BNSF_1088 said:
That is very rare. In 7 years, I have never seen it with only one Diesel Engine south of Washington, DC. Both me and Bill H. can vouch for that. However,after Washington DC (used to be Philidelphia) it generally only has only one. Can you recall the dates/Place that you saw #19/20 with only one P42?
It was about a month ago in Slidell La on train 19

Well its possible something could have happend with the second unit sometime while on route. I will be sure to see #19 and/or #20 this weekend though.

Well I saw #19 today and sure enough, it is still being pulled by two engines. I had to wait a long time today as #19 was running 3 hours and 20 minutes behind schedule (very unusual for the Crescent). Interestingly, they were deadheading 2 diners and a Vermonter baggage car on the rear, followed by the usual MHC.

FYI, Lead unit was 66, followed by #44. Both looked clean and dent free. :)

battalion51 said:
So it was the 1800, but the paint was coming off, right?
Yup :) . I found it interesting how it was headed to New Orleans though. Im wondering if they might be doing work on it in some shape or form?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back