Amtrak Crescent.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be. But the Vermonter lost its baggage cars about a year ago, thanks to buget cuts by the State of Vermont. But the loss of the baggage car is a good thing for two reasons, first faster run times on the Corridor since it can now do 125 vs. the previous 110 MPH. Also Engineers can now use blended braking on the train since there is no Heritage Equipment on it.

True. I have had vermonter baggage cars on numerous trips across the country over the past year or two. I have never seen one down here though.

I saw a Vermonter Baggage Car on Adirondack a Train last Year at the Croton - Harmon Station back in October and it was in the Acela Paint.

AMTRAK P-42, I saw the same train you saw, Sunday #19. Where were you? I was on the Peachtree Road overpass, across from the station watching it come in from the north(or east, if you prefer). Perhaps you were in the station or on the other side?

I have been thinking about this over the weekend and I think it has always been two locos, at least north of Atlanta.

There was a time when a train called the Gulf Breeze operated. It split from the Crescent at BHM and went to Montogmery and Mobile. During those days, the there were two locos out of WAS and at BHM one took 19/20 to NO and the other took 519/520 to Mobile.

There have been times in past when there were many more cars from NY to ATL than from ATL to NO and only ran one loco south of ATL. Things change around a lot through the years.

Bill Haithcoat said:
It split from the Crescent at BHM and went to Montogmery and Mobile. During those days, the there were two locos out of WAS and at BHM one took 19/20 to NO and the other took 519/520 to Mobile.
On the first three rides I had on the Crescent the Gulf Breeze still existed. I can recall the splitting process in Birmingham, it always interested me.

This sunday, I was at that first little crossing, right past the Amtrak station that leads into the new construction area for the Atlantic Station project. I find its a nice vantage point.

Well, speaking of the Crescent, the last two days have been WAY off the normal schedule. The Crescent, when it is late, generally loses most of its time south of Atlanta, and when it does, it tends to not lose more then an hour. Once and a while maybe as much as an hour and a half. However the last couple of days have been very unusual. The Crescent generally has a late running of over 3 hours once or twice a month, but the last two straight days have been substantial. #19 yesterday (the one I went to see) arrived into New Orleans 3 and a half hours late. However today’s #19 is even later. It is running 4 hours and 26 minutes late at the moment, and did not arrive into Atlanta until 1:27pm.

I did some further research and found that #19 from the second day (today’s #19 running 4 hours and 26 down), departed from New York (its origin) an astounding 5 hours and 11 minutes late. I then checked the train from the day before, and it left New York running 3 hours and 40 minutes late.

I don’t know if there might be something going on in Sunnyside or what, but this is quite unusual.

Yes, I noticed the delays Saturday as well as Sunday, and noted the delay today. One thing, though, on both Saturday and Sunday, it made up quite a bit of time before arriving ATL(though, at least on Sunday, lost it again south of ATL).

I know of course that there is some padding, but it is not ourageously padded like the Sunset Limited.,for example. I have been proud of the way it made up time s.b. In fact, I had intended to see it Saturday morning but the second time I called Julie, found I would not be able to get there in time to see it. Glad I was not riding it---I might have missed it!!

The Crscent wasn't the only train late yesterday. 98 and 92 both left Miami two hours late, 89 was an hour late, 91 and 97 both at three hours late. Anyone know of problems on the NEC or near Alexandria?

Believe it or not....#19 left late AGAIN! This time not quite so bad, but 1 hour and 22 minutes at that. Thats 3 straight days. Im really beginning to wonder if something actually is going on.

battalion51 said:
The Crscent wasn't the only train late yesterday. 98 and 92 both left Miami two hours late, 89 was an hour late, 91 and 97 both at three hours late. Anyone know of problems on the NEC or near Alexandria?
I've been hearing from posts at Trainorders that a lot of #19's were late from the get go out of NYP, due to Sunnyside. Wouldn't be surprised if the problem carried over to Silver Service, from personal experience riding #97 I think Its been late out of Sunnyside on about 2 or 3 occasions. So thats at best at a 25% screw up in Sunnyside at worst 1/2. I've also frequently seen LD's on Stand By or Delay at NYP, again still in Sunnyside.

But WHY??: Why specifically, why now? The Crescent usually does better than that......what specifically is going on at Sunnyside any different from usual?

On the plus side, I just checked #19 for this morning (Tuesday)and it was 33 minutes late at Clemson, S.C., but expected to make that up, more or less, by ATL.

BTW, 97 is on time this morning, 91 is a little late.

Well I haven't heard anything unusual on my scanner on the few ocassions that I've had it on.

However I wouldn't be surprised if the heavy delays from the past week were due to the extreme cold up here in the NE. Saturday morning saw a temp of 1 in Central Park, the coldest its been in NY in 10 years. When it's that cold, one has problems watering the cars, pulling hoses and cables apart, and a bunch of other issues. Plus anyone working outside on a train needs to be pulled inside rather frequently to prevent frost bite. You just can't stay outside for too long.

Now yesterday and today saw a bit of a warm up and it seems like times have improved some. However we go back into the dumper tonight, so if time go back downhill starting tomorrow, it would confirm my theory.

Well now lets see what happens for tomorrow. It was 44 degrees today here in NY, but were already down to 18 at 11:30 PM and still dropping. Tomorrows high is supposed to be 18 and then we're expecting 2 - 5 inches of snow tomorrow night.

So I wouldn't be shocked to find the LD's running late again, starting tomorrow.

AlanB said:
Well now lets see what happens for tomorrow. It was 44 degrees today here in NY, but were already down to 18 at 11:30 PM and still dropping. Tomorrows high is supposed to be 18 and then we're expecting 2 - 5 inches of snow tomorrow night.
So I wouldn't be shocked to find the LD's running late again, starting tomorrow.
:lol:

Alan are they calling for SNOW

I want snow, desparately, particularlly if it brings a Snow Day. If we have a snow day tommorow, instead of having midterms This Friday, Tuesday, and Next Wednesday, I'd have them Next Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. I could desparately use that time for studying. I would hope that its good enough to have a Snow day here, while minimizing the effects on Amtrak service. I don't think it'll be bad enough to shift a lot of traffic from the airports to the rails though.

Last check according to the Weather Channel in my hometown it was 14 degrees so they are peobably having a big problem with frozen cars, maybe switches but they should have the heaters activated on those and other wonderful things as well. Either that or they have the LIRR doing their cold weather ops at Sunnyside in that case the train will be lucky to get out before midnight :)

Departure got pushed back from 6:30 to 7:30. At the rate this is going, 1) The Silver Meteor could also be severely delayed, or 2) The Silver Meteor may depart first!

tp49 said:
Last check according to the Weather Channel in my hometown it was 14 degrees so they are peobably having a big problem with frozen cars, maybe switches but they should have the heaters activated on those and other wonderful things as well.
I rather doubt that it's switch releated. Odds are that it's related to frozen connectors, cables, and water/sewage issues.

Viewliner said:
Departure got pushed back from 6:30 to 7:30. At the rate this is going, 1) The Silver Meteor could also be severely delayed, or 2) The Silver Meteor may depart first!
I would not be suprised to see that pushed back once again. They first were reporting a 4:30 departure, then a 5:30, 6:30, now as you said, 7:30.

Well everything is going as expected....its 8:30 and #19 is now a little over 5 and 1/2 hours late and has YET to leave....except for one thing.

Train #97, the southbound Meteor, departed only 7 minutes late! :blink:

This is very bizarre..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back