Amtrak Dining and Cafe service 2023 H2

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this one menu on amtrak, but this can't be right it is(hot selections), says something about hot hamburgers?
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/menus/national/National-Cafe-Menu-0822.pdf
When the train stops in Washington, DC to change engines, we have about 20 to 30 minutes before it takes off again, anything close by in station to grab a fresh sandwich at?
Microwaved hamburgers. They're not bad if they attendant takes the time to nuke them on a plate and not in the package. I think the Northeast Regional cafe menu is similar, but has a bit more variety. The hot dog is Hebrew National, which is good, but, again, attendants sometimes just nuke then in the wrapper, which is not so good.

I would not recommend going into the station at Washington to look for food. The pace is big, service at many of the eateries is slow, there's less variety of eateries than there used to be, and you risk missing the train.

Microwaved hamburgers. They're not bad if they attendant takes the time to nuke them on a plate and not in the package. I think the Northeast Regional cafe menu is similar, but has a bit more variety. The hot dog is Hebrew National, which is good, but, again, attendants sometimes just nuke then in the wrapper, which is not so good.

I would not recommend going into the station at Washington to look for food. The pace is big, service at many of the eateries is slow, there's less variety of eateries than there used to be, and you risk missing the train.
My experience on the Missouri River Runner is that most of the attendants microwave the burgers and hotdogs on the plate. They are not too bad. The tamale and the strombolli are very good.

But there is a Pret A Manger right by where passengers coming off the train enter, if one would like a quick grab-and-go. And also a Sbarro's next to it, though I have seen some pretty long lines there.

Just be aware that if traveling towards NYP, the train is not bound by the schedule and will leave as soon as all station work is complete. I have also seen sleeper attendants close their doors well before departure; don't know about coach.

But there is a Pret A Manger right by where passengers coming off the train enter, if one would like a quick grab-and-go. And also a Sbarro's next to it, though I have seen some pretty long lines there.

Just be aware that if traveling towards NYP, the train is not bound by the schedule and will leave as soon as all station work is complete. I have also seen sleeper attendants close their doors well before departure; don't know about coach.
I guess we better grab something the night before in Roanoke and take it onboard the train in the morning, maybe some philly cheese egg rolls and some chicken tenders.
Yes, I have been tracking the train for a month or so, yes its always a few minutes different, sometimes longer or shorter as to how long the stop in Washington DC it is there, probably not worth chancing it get off the train there to look for food, our final stop will be Newark(Penn Station)

Last edited:
The hubby and I will be in Business Class for our trip to Kansas City next month (Coach on the way back) on the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner. I've heard about "free non-alcoholic beverages" in Business Class, but is there a 1/person limit on that on that route, or can a single Business Class passenger have multiple free non-alcoholic beverages on the same trip, at least on that route?

I think that the "rule" is one non-alcoholic drink per person per entire trip. Enjoy your diet Pepsi. That said, at least half of the attendants I've dealt with gave me several sodas. As with all things Amtrak, it pretty much depends on who you get. If you enjoy refreshing beverages, you are welcome to bring your own, and I'd say most attendants will give you a cup with some ice, but don't count on it. A small, maybe disposable cooler with a few plastic cups and some ice in a baggie would also work.

I think that the "rule" is one non-alcoholic drink per person per entire trip. Enjoy your diet Pepsi. That said, at least half of the attendants I've dealt with gave me several sodas. As with all things Amtrak, it pretty much depends on who you get. If you enjoy refreshing beverages, you are welcome to bring your own, and I'd say most attendants will give you a cup with some ice, but don't count on it. A small, maybe disposable cooler with a few plastic cups and some ice in a baggie would also work.
Free ice is official Amtrak policy, so every LSA should be willing to give it, unless they're running low.

I'm going to be on business class train for 8 hours,they have to allow me to get more then 1 free drink for that amount of time don't they?
How do they keep count if I had my free drink or not?

It’s as much coffee and non alcoholic drinks as you care to have in business.

It’s as much coffee and non alcoholic drinks as you care to have in business.
Their web site just says "complimentary non-alcoholic beverages (not offered in Acela Business Class)." On my recent Downeaster trip I was offered initially a coffee and later when I asked for a water the attendant gave it to me free of charge. Other times they have said one free beverage. Like most things Amtrak it depends :rolleyes:

Their web site just says "complimentary non-alcoholic beverages (not offered in Acela Business Class)." On my recent Downeaster trip I was offered initially a coffee and later when I asked for a water the attendant gave it to me free of charge. Other times they have said one free beverage. Like most things Amtrak it depends :rolleyes:
Downeaster is a unique train. It’s cafe vendor/menu and staffing are significantly different from the rest of Amtrak trains. Evidently that also might mean they have different policies in place.

Downeaster is a unique train. It’s cafe vendor/menu and staffing are significantly different from the rest of Amtrak trains. Evidently that also might mean they have different policies in place.
While the Downeaster Cafe is indeed staffed and operated by a 3rd party "Business Class" on Amtrak varies wildly. The Surfliners Business Class for example get a snack box and wine, while Business Class on Acela gets nothing. Some attendants will serve you only 1 drink period, while others will only allow you to have 1 bottled or can drink but allow you to have unlimited hot tea or coffee. And others will let you have multiple drinks.

And of course a quick reminder that the major airlines serve complimentary non-alcoholic drink to all coach passengers :)

While the Downeaster Cafe is indeed staffed and operated by a 3rd party "Business Class" on Amtrak varies wildly. The Surfliners Business Class for example get a snack box and wine, while Business Class on Acela gets nothing. Some attendants will serve you only 1 drink period, while others will only allow you to have 1 bottled or can drink but allow you to have unlimited hot tea or coffee. And others will let you have multiple drinks.

And of course a quick reminder that the major airlines serve complimentary non-alcoholic drink to all coach passengers :)
Oh yea I’m aware the drinks rule vary differently regardless. My regular train is the cascades, which only gives you a one time $3 coupon.

Since Business Class seems to vary by route as to the details of the "free non-alcoholic drink" rule, does anyone have specific information as to how that rule is implemented on the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner?

Since Business Class seems to vary by route as to the details of the "free non-alcoholic drink" rule, does anyone have specific information as to how that rule is implemented on the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner?
No, because the rules are established by the Cafe attendant....rightly or wrongly....

The Surfliner is the gold standard of Business Class. If only the other BC cars on the other trains were as good. A shame there is no uniform standard. Same with the food and drink offerings at the Moynihan lounge. Every other lounge pales in comparison

When the train stops in Washington, DC to change engines, we have about 20 to 30 minutes before it takes off again, anything close by in station to grab a fresh sandwich at?
I think some of the replies are not accurate. If you are on a NER, that is 176, or 156 weekends, or 66 from RNK you will know when the train departs WAS. Only the LD trains depart whenever ready. 176 is regularly scheduled to depart at noon or 12:05. It will not before that time. So look at your watch and you know how much time you have. If you move to the last car or 2 soon before arrival you will be able to detrain near the sole escalator and thereby maximize your time. Go upstairs and pay attention so that you return to the train by Exactly The Same Route, i.e. ignore the announced gate. When you arrive back at the top of the escalator if it's not helping then look directly right and go through that door which will be stairs down to the platform.
If the train arrives more than a few minutes late it's not worth the risk. If the train is on time you can safely go up to Chipotle, for example. The are 2, 1 downstairs in the food court and another on the street level out beyond the ticket agents.
Same story heading south. The train will not depart ahead of schedule. These days the trains are almost always late so it's often a moot point

Last edited:
I think some of the replies are not accurate. If you are on a NER, that is 176, or 156 weekends, from RNK you will know when the train departs WAS. Only the LD trains depart whenever ready. 176 is regularly scheduled to depart at noon or 12:05. It will not before that time. So look at your watch and you know how much time you have. If you move to the last car or 2 soon before arrival you will be able to detrain near the sole escalator and thereby maximize your time. Go upstairs and pay attention so that you return to the train by Exactly The Same Route, i.e. ignore the announced gate. When you arrive back at the top of the escalator if it's not helping then look directly right and go through that door which will be stairs down to the platform.
If the train arrives more than a few minutes late it's not worth the risk. If the train is on time you can safely go up to Chipotle, for example. The are 2, 1 downstairs in the food court and another on the street level out beyond the ticket agents.
Same story heading south. The train will not depart ahead of schedule. These days the trains are almost always late so it's often a moot point
True, I was speaking of LD trains, as I didn't notice the OP was on a NER.

I think this is only true of the Florida trains, Cardinal and the Crescent, at least when it was discharge-only north of Washington. The Roanoke trains, which do carry local corridor passengers, stay in Washington until the advertised departure time. On the morning run from Roanoke and Lynchburg, which I've ridden quite a bit, there is often a stop of 30 to 45 minutes at Washington, which leaves plenty of time to get to-go food from the various station eateries, as long as one is mindful of the clock.

I think this is only true of the Florida trains, Cardinal and the Crescent, at least when it was discharge-only north of Washington. The Roanoke trains, which do carry local corridor passengers, stay in Washington until the advertised departure time. On the morning run from Roanoke and Lynchburg, which I've ridden quite a bit, there is often a stop of 30 to 45 minutes at Washington, which leaves plenty of time to get to-go food from the various station eateries, as long as one is mindful of the clock.
The WAS station stop on the Cardinal is a long one as they change engines from electric to diesel. I have no idea what the schedule will be on our next long distance trip in 2024. This may depend of the availability of new diesel/ electric engines that can operate on the entire route but I don't believe that Amtrak is using them yet. Provided the train does not arrive late, in the current schedule there is sufficient time to get food for takeout. As stated in an earlier post, I would stay on the main level, avoid waiting on long lines, not go down to the food court level and keep your eye on your watch. Sleeper passenger may also enter the lounge for included soda, coffee, water and snacks.

All trains from or to Virginia change engines. An announcement is usually made not to go up to the station. But if you do it... City of Miami is correct that there seem to be two ways down to the platform from the concourse in the station. One has a queue of passengers waiting for the go-ahead. They board about 10 minutes before departure. Yet I was able a few years ago to just go around that queue to a different set of stairs. Note: the useful shops in the station are not especially close to the concourse, and you will probably not find a newspaper on sale, the same as most airports nowadays. So since that trip, I heed the announcement and just enjoy the platform, or stay on board as it goes dark.

An unfortunate incident of a passenger leaving his bag on the train and just missing its departure, then hanging on the side through the tunnel at WAS shows it's best to keep an eye on whatever Amtrak staff is at an open door, or on the platform by an open door, no matter the station. And vice versa staff or cameras should monitor a situation like that. (He survived but was shaken up.)

I'm curious when the dual mode locomotives will appear, but there's no sign they're being built yet that I know of. I guess the one spotted in Savannah was an ALC-42, not dual mode. Those models have numbers 300 to 424, says Wikipedia, and the latest spotted here was 342. The numbers for the dual mode ALC-42E's are "TDB" at Wikipedia.

Last edited:
I doubt that they would use a dual mode locomotive on a route where it spends most of its time in non-electrified territory such as the Cardinal does. Perhaps they would on say a Newport News to NYC or Boston train, but not on ones that go far beyond Virginia...

I doubt that they would use a dual mode locomotive on a route where it spends most of its time in non-electrified territory such as the Cardinal does. Perhaps they would on say a Newport News to NYC or Boston train, but not on ones that go far beyond Virginia...
Once they get the Airos, the Carolinian and the Palmetto will apparently use standard Airos and hence will have dual mode.

The Long Distance trains will not have dual mode. They will change power at Washington DC, and use the new LD rolling stock when they come about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back