Amtrak Dining and Cafe Service discussion 2024 H1

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures won't help. They look like it's tasty food, but a lot of that depends how it's reheated. Hint: They're supposed to be reheated in a convection oven, but sometimes a microwave is used, with disappointing results.
The hubby and I watch "trainTuber" videos on YouTube which include the meals eaten on the trip, and those are useful for reports on how the food was prepared & how it tastes. Using that anecdotal information together with the close-up images from the linked site above provide a better idea of what's being served. (Especially for older viewers like the hubby & me, who need some magnification of the food as pictured in the videos.)

Traditional dining is on all the Western trains except The Texas Eagle. It’s also on The Silvers. Flex food(can’t call it dining) is served on The Cardinal, The Crescent, Texas Eagle,Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited. The City of New Orleans has sleeper passengers choose from the cafe car menu, a step up from flex. Haven’t heard anything about when traditional will return to any train. What’s the holdup?

All the flex meals look like a bunch of slop. A picture of what I feed my Yorkie would be more appetizing. Sorry- I had a throwback moment of what the traditional meals used to look like on the Crescent. I digress lol
Photos of all the flex dining meals can be seen on this site. https://amtrakfoodfacts.com/menu-items-common-2/

The sad thing is I priced a ticket from NOL to Newark recently and it was almost 2000 dollars ( bedroom one way and roomette return) why can’t there be better food.

Can we pin a comment or thread that shows the current status of dining on all LD trains?
Here is my quick attempt to produce such a document... Please respond with any inaccuracies that need correcting. Once it is fixed we will post it in the Amtrak Information forum. Thanks.

Food Service on Amtrak Long Distance Trains (April 2024)
TrainDining Hard ProductSleeper Passengers ServedCoach Passengers ServedDining Soft ProductCafé Hard ProductCafé Soft Product
1/2 Sunset Limited NOL - LAXSuperliner DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalSSL Lower LevelLD Cafe
3/4 Southwest Chief CHI - LAXSuperliner DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalSSL Lower LevelLD Cafe
5/6 California Zephyr CHI - EMYSuperliner DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalSSL Lower LevelLD Cafe
7/8 Empire Builder CHI - SPKSuperliner DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalSSL Lower LevelLD Cafe
7/8 Empire Builder SPK - SEASuperliner DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalSuperliner DinerLD Cafe
27/28 Empire Builder SPK - PDXSSL Lower LevelComplimentaryN/AEB SpecialSSL Lower LevelLD Cafe
11/14 Coast StarlightSuperliner DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalSuperliner DinerLD Cafe
21/421/22/422 Texas Eagle CHI - SASSuperliner Diner LoungeComplimentaryNoFlexSuperliner Diner LoungeLD Cafe
421/422 Texas Eagle SAS - L:AXSuperliner DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalSSL Lower LevelLD Cafe
58/59 City of New Orleans CHI - NOLSSL Lower LevelComplimentaryNoFlexSSL Lower LevelLD Cafe
19/20 Crescent NYP - NOLAmfleet II LoungeComplimentaryNoFlexAmfleet II LoungeLD Cafe
29/30 Capitol Limited CHI - WASSuperliner Diner LoungeComplimentaryNoFlexSuperliner Diner LoungeLD Cafe
48/49 Lake Shore Limited CHI - ALBViewliner II DinerComplimentaryNoFlexAmfleet II LoungeLD Cafe
48/49 Lake Shore Limited ALB - NYPViewliner II DinerComplimentaryNoFlex

448/449 Lake Shore Limited ALB - BOS
Amfleet II LoungeComplimentaryNoLSL SpecialAmfleet II LoungeLD Cafe
50/51 Cardinal CHI - NYPAmfleet II LoungeComplimentaryNoFlexAmfleet II LoungeLD Cafe
52/53 Auto Train LOR - SFASuperliner DinerComplimentaryNoAT TraditionalSuperliner AT LoungeAT Cafe
89/90 Palmetto NYP - SAV day trainAmfleet I Table CarLD Cafe
91/92 Silver Star NYP - MIA via RGH, TPAViewliner II DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalAmfleet II LoungeLD Cafe

97/98 Silver Meteor NYP - MIA via FLO
Viewliner II DinerComplimentaryPurchaseTraditionalAmfleet II LoungeLD Cafe

This table has now been placed in the Amtrak Information Forum at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/amtrak-food-service-on-long-distance-trains.87220/

Updates will be made in the Amtrak Information Forum and the date of the update will be present in the title of the table.

Last edited:
I believe the word on the chart above should be “Complimentary” (given free of charge) instead of “Complementary” (two or more things combining to enhance each other).

These words are often confused.
Corrected. Thanks.

About Flex dining: Pure speculation. Flex meals seem to be originating at NOL, CHI, NYP / WASH. Coud it be________
1. Using up stocks of non perishable items?
2. Contract to provide those meals might have an early termination fee paid by Amtrak?
What might be added to your table is when flex meals are to end on each train?

About Flex dining: Pure speculation. Flex meals seem to be originating at NOL, CHI, NYP / WASH. Coud it be________
1. Using up stocks of non perishable items?
2. Contract to provide those meals might have an early termination fee paid by Amtrak?
What might be added to your table is when flex meals are to end on each train?
I believe it's mostly a staffing issue. There are trains originiating from NOL, CHI, and NYP that have full service dining.

It's a huge step up - you also have some salad options. Even the cheese and cracker tray is a huge step up from anything I've had in Flex!
Although I survived cafe car food on the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner last fall, and one does have to choose carefully to get decent meals. For example, the White Castle sliders (similar to the frozen ones from the supermarket we've microwaved at home) were far more palatable than the Angus Cheeseburger (comparable in taste and texture to a Dollar Tree frozen burger when microwaved). And there was no soup available at all at that time.

Although I survived cafe car food on the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner last fall, and one does have to choose carefully to get decent meals. For example, the White Castle sliders (similar to the frozen ones from the supermarket we've microwaved at home) were far more palatable than the Angus Cheeseburger (comparable in taste and texture to a Dollar Tree frozen burger when microwaved).
Back when I was in college beginning in the mid-1960s, there was a White Castle hamburger restaurant right across the street from my campus. Back then, the sliders were 15 or 20 cents each, and you could get a whole sack full for $1.50. Although it never became a national institution like McDonalds, White Castle is believed to have been the first “fast food” hamburger chain in the country. In 2014, Time Magazine declared the iconic Original Slider the most influential burger of all time.

Although I survived cafe car food on the Lincoln Service/Missouri River Runner last fall, and one does have to choose carefully to get decent meals. For example, the White Castle sliders (similar to the frozen ones from the supermarket we've microwaved at home) were far more palatable than the Angus Cheeseburger (comparable in taste and texture to a Dollar Tree frozen burger when microwaved). And there was no soup available at all at that time.
I like the Angus cheeseburger, it's my go-to meal on the Lincoln Service. De gustibus non disputandum and all that.

I like the Angus cheeseburger, it's my go-to meal on the Lincoln Service. De gustibus non disputandum and all that.
The burger from the cafe car is probably different than in the full diner and unfortunately is nuked, but I actually agree with you. When I order it, I usually get a chuckle out of the attendant when I refer to it as the Amburger.

I have some Dinty Moore beef stew 3 or 4 times a year, usually when my wife is away. It is quick and easy. So when I have it on Amtrak, it is like Old Home Week.
And don't forget, in order to re-create the genuine nostalgic Amtrak Amstew, your Dinty Moore beef stew at home must be served over a bed of rice.

Back