Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They will never serve meals comparable to Asian, Middle Eastern, or even European business class meals. Those meals are all extremely high quality, and presented perfectly. Meanwhile Amtrak meals are comparable to those of a diner.

This is a China AIrlines long-haul business class meal. View attachment 20637

That doesn’t look more impressive than what I’ve been served in domestic first class or on amtrak dining cars of the past.

That doesn’t look more impressive than what I’ve been served in domestic first class or on amtrak dining cars of the past.
Remembering once upon a time... many years ago on China Airlines first class... when they had three classes of service.

So excited to be in first... until the long anticipated meal came... an inedible steak - all grizzle!

So 'Cuisine Success is Situation Specific."

Good and bad on Amtrak too... but for price paid... always a better value. BTW their steaks and angus burgers have always been... in my opinion... top notch! 😃 😁

Nothing not to like here...

EWoVdJCXsAAHP7b.jpg
Lunch.jpg

. Meanwhile Amtrak meals are comparable to those of a diner.
If only!
If you are referring to the classic "diner's", especially prevalent along the Northeast Corridor area, typically run by ethnic Greek-American's, with their huge, multi-page menu's, and "all baking done on premises"... I could only dream of Amtrak food service being comparable.:)

Here's some of my favorites...

https://www.reodiner.com/menus/menu.pdf

https://www.clover.com/online-ordering/park-west-diner-little-falls

If only!
If you are referring to the classic "diner's", especially prevalent along the Northeast Corridor area, typically run by ethnic Greek-American's, with their huge, multi-page menu's, and "all baking done on premises"... I could only dream of Amtrak food service being comparable.:)

Here's some of my favorites...

https://www.reodiner.com/menus/menu.pdf

https://www.clover.com/online-ordering/park-west-diner-little-falls
I was thinking more like, Dennys ya know

I described the pre-"flex" meals as roughly on par with an Applebee's. Not nearly as well presented, either, with disposable dinnerware. The Canadian may be close to a Capital Grille experience. I can't even begin to think of an appropriate description of flex meals. Gruel, maybe.

Whatever... but almost everyone on this forum agrees that flex meals gotta go!

I was just wondering what the 'processing plant' or 'industrial complex' looks like where they massively prepare all those sameness meals and all thousands of look alike brownies???

Just joking! [Or maybe not!] :rolleyes::eek:🤪
Flex Meal Assembly Plant.jpg

Whatever... but almost everyone on this forum agrees that flex meals gotta go!

I was just wondering what the 'processing plant' or 'industrial complex' looks like where they massively prepare all those sameness meals and all thousands of look alike brownies???

Just joking! [Or maybe not!] :rolleyes::eek:🤪
Nope. From here (previews.123rf.com)
factory-air-and-water-pollution.jpg

The buildings are where the brownies are from.

The pipe in the middle is where the flex meals originate.

I recall riding the Sunset Limited in the late 70s and early 80s when there were no reservations taken for any meal. The Heritage diner had specific hours for each meal but you could go whenever you chose. If the diner was full you just waited. Due to the fact that there were no intercom messages blasting through the train at 7 AM, as is done today, and after sleeping late, my wife and I would stroll in at the early lunch hour for what we considered to be "Brunch". One of the offerings on the Lunch menu was the "Late Riser". The "Late Riser" was 2 eggs (to order), choice of ham, sausage, or bacon, hash browns, and toast. Sometimes we accompanied this offering with a Bloody Mary!! Oh for the days.................

Compared to the hoops of boarding Amtrak at Chicago, NYP, or Washington?

It's been awhile since I boarded Amtrak at Chicago or NYP and my most recent experience at Washington was 2018 so things may have changed, but I did not find any difficulty or unpleasantness in boarding the train at those stations.

It's been awhile since I boarded Amtrak at Chicago or NYP and my most recent experience at Washington was 2018 so things may have changed, but I did not find any difficulty or unpleasantness in boarding the train at those stations.

I haven’t found difficulty or unpleasantness in boarding airplanes either. But if we are talking about hoops to jump through such as

- wait over there until this time.
- now wait in this line until we call you.
- why are you waiting here? You’re train is about to leave you better hurry!

I’ve certainly had that experience in NYP, CHI, and WAS.

- wait over there until this time.
- now wait in this line until we call you.
- why are you waiting here? You’re train is about to leave you better hurry!

Our experiences have differed. I have not experienced anything that you described. I understand your reaction to my thoughts. Thanks for replying.

Collectively there are varied experiences when boarding an Amtrak train. Sometimes boarding in CHI can be chaos... it all depends on gate agents, trains being switched last minute to different gates, etc. But most of us know that it's all part of the travel routine!😉

No doubt boarding at Washington/New York or Los Angeles/Chicago is a headache, but the reason I book amtrak is easy boarding at stations like New Carrolton, Glenview, Napreville, Stamford, Alexandria or Anaheim. I'm intentionally calling out smaller stations near big-city hubs. This is really where Amtrak shines in relation to airports and they really need to bring a better system to their big city stations. Hopefully the new Monihan building at NYP brings so improvements, but I doubt it.

How do you find low bucket rides now that Amsnag is no more?
I know what the low buckets are for the long distance trains. I just punch in dates for the routes I am interested in. Wish Amtrak's website would show fares at a glance like Southwest,but they don't.

I have a new favorite flexible dining meal. The manicotti isn’t half bad (isn’t on the printed or online menu.) I think it’s the best of the bunch. A disclaimer - I don’t mind salt. Just finished it on 97. Photos attached.

Attachments

• B6EAF8AE-0C4A-48BA-AB24-0EA1A7D54BC0.jpeg
    B6EAF8AE-0C4A-48BA-AB24-0EA1A7D54BC0.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 6F9E2E5B-D66D-4CEE-BC91-570175439118.jpeg
    6F9E2E5B-D66D-4CEE-BC91-570175439118.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 0239C289-03D8-4AA1-B81B-835ADA7716F1.jpeg
    0239C289-03D8-4AA1-B81B-835ADA7716F1.jpeg
    53.4 KB · Views: 24
  • C40A32BC-AE22-4BF2-8E42-F53B75500E0B.jpeg
    C40A32BC-AE22-4BF2-8E42-F53B75500E0B.jpeg
    72.9 KB · Views: 26
No doubt boarding at Washington/New York or Los Angeles/Chicago is a headache, but the reason I book amtrak is easy boarding at stations like New Carrolton, Glenview, Napreville, Stamford, Alexandria or Anaheim. I'm intentionally calling out smaller stations near big-city hubs. This is really where Amtrak shines in relation to airports and they really need to bring a better system to their big city stations. Hopefully the new Monihan building at NYP brings so improvements, but I doubt it.
I have never been to the East Coast. However when I boarded the Starlight from LA last October it was very smooth. They called us to board in the Lounge, we went outside, got a red cap. And they took us to the spot we would board. Train came in, we boarded. It was very simply and not complicated at all.

I will say though, if Amtrak could standardize boarding at all stations, it would be much easier. I really don't love the gates at Eastern stations, you should be able to just walk up and board like at the regular ones. -_-

And on a different note, Amtrak really needs to improve customer service since I have seen SO many Yelp reviews of rude staff. It's so inconsistent..

I have never been to the East Coast. However when I boarded the Starlight from LA last October it was very smooth. They called us to board in the Lounge, we went outside, got a red cap. And they took us to the spot we would board. Train came in, we boarded. It was very simply and not complicated at all.

I will say though, if Amtrak could standardize boarding at all stations, it would be much easier. I really don't love the gates at Eastern stations, you should be able to just walk up and board like at the regular ones. -_-

And on a different note, Amtrak really needs to improve customer service since I have seen SO many Yelp reviews of rude staff. It's so inconsistent..

LA is probably the best of the “big” stations. I’ve never had any issues there. Not sure if it’s the station layout or just the laid back “chill” California vibe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back