Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was not aware of this, I thought that pre-COVID only people with an accessibility issue were able to get room service.
Anyone in sleepers could get room service. I usually chose the diner, but did room service a couple of times.

The real restrictions were practical. Many attendants would "group" their room service requests into one time period and would want to know if you wanted room service well in advance.

Reactions: Cal
The diners are not going to be packed if they are only seating passengers “in private rooms.”

My hope is that if they aren’t going to let coach passengers use the diner that at least they will offer private tables.

The only way I can see that diners will not be packed is if there are a large number of sleeping car passengers who decide to eat in their rooms.

I cannot vouch for causation, but there is a distinct correlation between the deadline by when the separated F&B P&L had to be made self standing and not using any federal funds for it (end of 2020), and the accelerated reduction in F&B staffing level and the fact that one of the largest cost components of F&B service is staff cost.

I suspect that the revenues brought in from Coach passengers according to some calculation did not cover the cost of the extra SA needed to serve people beyond the minimum required for Sleeper passengers.

If those correlated events had a causal connection among them then now that that Sword of Democles has been removed things should improve across the board as all that was dismantled can be rebuilt over a little bit of time. So we shall see.

I suspect that the COVID thing just delayed the recovery from the Mica fiasco by tanking revenues across the board with uncertainty about government support to keep the lights on. But that was its net effect. Even absent COVID we would have cycled down to the bottom until md-2020 and then started recovery with the rescission of the Mica clause.

Now one could ask why Congress and RPA and everyone else sat on their thumbs from 2015 to 2020 before actually acting on trying to fix the problem. It may have had something to do with the past experience with "glidepath to self sufficiency" which sort of went away, and people forgot how hard they had to work to make that happen, and what damage it caused while it was around.
Thanks for your analysis. I wasn't sure when or why the rules changed. And it wouldn't be such an issue if the refreshment stand down in the basement of Superliners had more variety on two-night trains.

Of course, my problem is that I can recall eating in coach diners and lunch counter cars on long-distance trains that attracted customers rather than raising barriers. And the experiences with "running out" of seating reservations goes back into 2018.

Reactions: jis
The highlight of our travel on LD trains has been the table partners, such as the couple who had crossed Asia by train through many time zones, another who described their travel on the Orient Express, a British couple who took the QE2 to US and then went from NY to CA and back by train, a couple who were delighted that we were librarians & we had a great discussion, a man returning to FL from ME, and a retired Brooklyn schoolteacher joining her husband in FL because she doesn't like flying down to their vacation home.

The only way I can see that diners will not be packed is if there are a large number of sleeping car passengers who decide to eat in their rooms.

How many sleepers are any of the western trains carrying? And no dorms right?

It should go without saying more passengers will want to eat in their room. Everyone will adjust “back to normal” at a different speed.

Anyone in sleepers could get room service. I usually chose the diner, but did room service a couple of times.

The real restrictions were practical. Many attendants would "group" their room service requests into one time period and would want to know if you wanted room service well in advance.

Yes, this is correct. Back in 2019, traveling up to Illinois *right after* I found out my dad had died (I was trying to get up there in time to say goodbye), the attendant brought my dinner to my room because I explained I didn't feel like I could face making conversation with other people. (And I tipped him, of course).

Breakfast - well, I am an early riser and I ventured down to the diner and wound up at a table alone.

For our upcoming trip, we’ll probably have most if not all of our meals served to us our bedroom. This is not so much over concerns about “social distancing,” but rather because, as seniors, we prefer to eat our meals at our own pace and without having to feel guilty that we’re keeping other passengers from being seated.

Eric & Pat

I was not aware of this, I thought that pre-COVID only people with an accessibility issue were able to get room service.

I had a good SCA on a New York-New Orleans trip --until I asked for a salad and crackers to be brought to my room on the second afternoon, somewhere in Mississippi. This was pre-Covid, so attitudes could very well have been different, but yes, it was my understanding back then that the SCA could bring meals to rooms.

Reactions: Cal
I am not aware of such a pre Covid policy restricting room service to the handicapped. If there was one, it would be foolish to revive it with the risks posed by group dining with strangers and the anxiety expressed by some people on this site.
Those who were in handicapped rooms were supposed to be OFFERED room service. Anyone else had to ASK for it. But since Amtrak permits crew to make up their own rules in spite of having written Standards, your mileage would vary.

They need to avoid crowding as much as possible... It's much better to limit dining-cars to sleeping-car passengers...

Why in the world would this be the case? If your reason is Covid - those who are not comfortable in public yet have the option of eating in their room.

And there is no current good reason to prevent Coach passengers from eating in the Diner as well.

Ok - I posted the above after he had already answered that question posed by another member.

I understand completely that a lot of folks still aren’t comfortable going out in public. That will take time to happen.

But others are waiting for Covid to be “over“. I’m afraid that herd immunity will be an elusive achievement unless a bunch of people who are currently hell-bent on not getting vaccinated change their tune.

That means that Covid will likely never be “over“, and will be something we will be dealing with annually just like the flu.

Nope. Anyone could ask for room service.
Anyone could ask and most of the time the SCA would agree but sometimes they would refuse and since Amtrak does not have a purser position you were basically SOL at that point. If you called to complain you might receive a voucher for a future trip with an SCA that may or may not refuse the next request and so on. The SCA would sometimes tell you to go get your meal from the LSA who would then send you empty handed back to the SCA again. Other than handing out vouchers to quiet complaints Amtrak does not seem to have a meaningful corrective process in place for on-board staff that make up their own rules.

Those who were in handicapped rooms were supposed to be OFFERED room service. Anyone else had to ASK for it. But since Amtrak permits crew to make up their own rules in spite of having written Standards, your mileage would vary.

I noticed on my last trip (about a week ago) when the LSA (I think) came around to take reservations for the dining car, they also asked "or would you prefer to have dinner in your room?" I opted to have it in my roomette, and my SCA came back around and asked what time I'd like to have dinner and what entree I'd like. I got my food at about the time I asked for it (I think it was a few minutes early - no big deal.) In my opinion, this was the best way to do it - sure, people could always ask, but it's far more welcoming to offer it as an option proactively. I'm not sure if that's just due to COVID, that particular crew, or if it's a new normal, but I sure hope it's a new normal.

Why in the world would this be the case? If your reason is Covid - those who are not comfortable in public yet have the option of eating in their room.

And there is no current good reason to prevent Coach passengers from eating in the Diner as well.
Agree. I’m traveling coast to coast in two weeks - coach - and the train is nearly full. Amtrak offering dinner reservation might be very sparse. Oh well.

Amtrak might direct long term dining car “sleeper class” only - BUT I also heard that an alternative is booking dinner reservation with ticket.

Communal Dining should stay.

In 1902 the Twentieth Century Limited was two hours FASTER than the Lakeshore Ltd today.

Classic train scene:

That’s the ghost of CEO Anderson changing the menu - rice is WAY CHEAPER and “flys” better.
So true. But they took away the Apple Juice. I can't drink orange juice because of my acid reflux. That's a bummer. I will just by some of the liquid flavors to put in my bottled water and the problem will be solved. There is always a way to get around the ''Cheappy '' situation going on with the train travel situation.

How many sleepers are any of the western trains carrying? And no dorms right?

It should go without saying more passengers will want to eat in their room. Everyone will adjust “back to normal” at a different speed.

1/2 one full sleeper…421/422 one full sleeper
3/4 two full sleepers
5/6 one dorm/transition and 2 full sleepers
7/8 one dorm/transition and 1 full sleeper…27/28 one full sleeper
11/14 one dorm/transition and 2 full sleepers
21/22 one full sleeper

Agree. I’m traveling coast to coast in two weeks - coach - and the train is nearly full. Amtrak offering dinner reservation might be very sparse. Oh well.

Amtrak might direct long term dining car “sleeper class” only - BUT I also heard that an alternative is booking dinner reservation with ticket.

Communal Dining should stay.

In 1902 the Twentieth Century Limited was two hours FASTER than the Lakeshore Ltd today.

Classic train scene:

So much infrastructure development, and more equitable for all, could have happened in this country over the last 60 years. Coulda woulda shoulda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back