Amtrak Excursion in the works? Follow up to the Amtrak Autumn Express

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 locomotives, 13 Amfleet I coaches, 2 Amfleet 1 cafes, 1 Metroliner conference car.

The Autumn Express just passed thru Lebanon at around 3:30.. Very cool!!!

It was another great trip. Sorry once again, I did not get a chance to meet anyone from this board, although I possibly did, unknowingly. I rode once again in the front car, and did speak to some very knowledgeable fellow passenger's.

Our only disappointment was not getting to ride the Reading belt line on the return trip, due to heavy freight train volume. So the return was a duplicate of going, although the last lap up on the High Line in the dark, with a spectacular nighttime view of the lights of Philly, was a very nice contrast to the daylight view on the outbound trip.

The train was very nice. I got a chance to check out the 9800 'Conference Car' on the rear. The souvenir lunch bag was a bit different than last year's, although I thought the food was better last year. Other's thought the opposite. They did sell nice souvenir pins for $5. They also sold last year's for $3. And then they went around and distributed free toy train whistle's to all that wanted one. The PA worked better than last year, but not perfect. Some cars were barely audible, other's blasted. Must be tough to connect them in a sixteen car train.

And now it's time to fill out the online survey.... :)

I thought yesterday's trip was also very well done. Except for the less-than-ideal Amfleet windows the consist seemed better than last year. All volunteers were very friendly and I enjoyed the lunch. The souvenir bag is definitely better than last year.

I would love it if Amtrak could do a spring excursion. Maybe something from DC, like a loop around northern Virginia. Lots of places to explore but understand it takes a lot of effort to coordinate and persuade the host RRs into letting these excursions run.

Summary: Worth the $129 ticket for sure!

I agree....well worth the fare for nine hours of entertainment!

We were well covered both on and off the train....found a couple of video's on youtube...probably will be lots more to come...

From the survey: Possible future trips Amtrak is asking about interest in:
Wine and Cheese train with a 1 day special train itinerary traveling between Philadelphia and Lynchburg, VA that includes a 3 hour optional wine tasting / cheese sampling event on board the train. Wine and cheese connoisseurs would guide you through a sampling of regional wines and cheeses. Return trip would travel back from Lynchburg, VA to Philadelphia.

Vermont Ski Train with a 3 day special train itinerary on President’s Day weekend (February) departing from Philadelphia on Saturday morning with travel up through New York City, New Haven, CT, and Vermont for a Saturday evening arrival in Waterbury, VT and complimentary shuttle service to ski resort hotels in the Stowe, VT. Optional hotel accommodations for Saturday and Sunday evening, as well as lift tickets for all day skiing on Sunday, could be purchased through Amtrak Vacations. Train would depart from Waterbury early Monday morning for arrival in Philadelphia on Monday evening.
Special Autumn Express train via Port Road Branch on an October or November weekend featuring a circuitous 8 hour trip departing from Philadelphia with travel along the Northeast Corridor as well as mileage through the countryside on freight only track. Includes travel through the Port Road Branch, Enola Yard, the Shocks Mill and Rockville bridges to a brief stop in Harrisburg, PA. The trip concludes with travel back to Philadelphia through the Columbia Secondary and scenic Lancaster County. Route guide, boxed lunch, and Autumn Express tote back are included with the price of the ticket. This is a replication of the 2013 Autumn Express itinerary.
Special Autumn Express train via Flat Rock/Black Rock tunnels on an October or November weekend featuring a circuitous 8 hour trip departing from Philadelphia with travel along the Northeast Corridor as well as rare mileage through the countryside on freight only track. Includes travel through the Flat Rock Tunnel and the Black Rock Tunnel, with a brief stop in Harrisburg, PA. The trip concludes with travel back to Philadelphia via Hershey and Reading, PA. Route guide, boxed lunch, and Autumn Express tote back are included with the price of the ticket. This is a replication of the 2014 Autumn Express itinerary.
Holiday Santa Train with a 3 day special train itinerary departing in mid-December from Philadelphia to New York City on Friday morning. Trip would include a special train car reserved for families that includes a visit from Santa Claus and his elves to meet and greet children while they travel, and to provide free hot chocolate beverages and candy canes to children under 18 years of age. Optional hotel accommodations and Saturday tickets to a Broadway show or the Radio City Hall Christmas Spectacular show could be purchased through Amtrak Vacations. Return trip would occur on Sunday from New York to Philadelphia along the Northeast Corridor.

I like the sound of the Vermont Ski Train!! Though if it's just going to Stowe, that's a bit of a bummer since there's so much more to VT than Stowe.

I thought it was a great trip. However, it seems the specter of rude Amtrak employees knows no bounds. Observe a transaction between myself and the forward cafe car attendant. Keep in mind, any time I have gotten a soda from an Amtrak cafe it has ALWAYS included a cup and ice.

Me: One can of Pepsi, please.

Attendant: (puts Pepsi in front of me and takes my money. I put a quarter tip on the ubiquitous tray that is always on the counter. I am not offered a thank you.)

Me: Can I have a cup with that?

Attendant: (takes out a plastic cup)

Me: Can I have ice as well?

Attendant: "You did say just a cup, right?"

Good grief! Sorry my ordering skills didn't exactly correspond with her wishes. Is she here to serve us or is it the other way around?

I thought it was a great trip. However, it seems the specter of rude Amtrak employees knows no bounds. Observe a transaction between myself and the forward cafe car attendant. Keep in mind, any time I have gotten a soda from an Amtrak cafe it has ALWAYS included a cup and ice.

Me: One can of Pepsi, please.

Attendant: (puts Pepsi in front of me and takes my money. I put a quarter tip on the ubiquitous tray that is always on the counter. I am not offered a thank you.)

Me: Can I have a cup with that?

Attendant: (takes out a plastic cup)

Me: Can I have ice as well?

Attendant: "You did say just a cup, right?"

Good grief! Sorry my ordering skills didn't exactly correspond with her wishes. Is she here to serve us or is it the other way around?
I'm always given ice. If I don't want ice and a cup I ask for no cup and ice. I would make sure that is documented when you fill out the survey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back