Amtrak Express is still a thing?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Ryu

Conductor
And how does it exaclty work? Its not a dedicated freight company like CSX I assume and runs like passenger airline's cargo subsidary.

So I assume they just put shipping goods in to baggage cars with passenger baggages.

And what stations are available for this? I know NYP is.

PDX also has Amtrak Express, not sure about SEA.

Even Greyhound has its own Greyhound Package Express system :blink:

Human remains means deceased being shipped off in coffin I assume.
Or cremains -- googling found this brief advice at http://www.us-funerals.com/funeral-articles/air-transport-for-funeral-homes.html
Darn, quote function temporarily nonfunctional.

Anyhow - most airlines, and Amtrak provide a special service for human remains, there's various rules that vary by state of origin and arrival, and you probably need the services of a state licensed "funeral director" and some paperwork.

A few of the rules I looked at -- I didn't want to see (like double body bags + casket plus container). Prices (unincinerated) from a few hundred to a few thousand (domestic, international dunno)

The Amtrak service could be cost- (and even time- ) effective for some city-pairs. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a little bit of info, check here. http://www.amtrak.com/express-shipping

I believe it's any staffed station offering checked baggage.
Thanks for the link.

Yesterday walked by MSP station (SPUD) and noticed their sign at the ticket window -- hours open. Sign mentions somewhat shorter hours for Amtrak Express than for passenger service and ticketing, but Amtrak Express specifically mentioned.

I can see how the express service might well be cost-effective for small business shipping 50-500 lb packages or pallets between Amtrak-served endpoints with 1-2 day service cheaper than the alternatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's any staffed station offering checked baggage.

The Amtrak service could be cost- (and even time- ) effective for some city-pairs. YMMV.
Just try not to die in places like Grand Forks, Spartanburg, or Montpelier.
Spartanburg is a short driving distance (40 minutes) to Greenville and 1 hour 20 minutes to Charlotte.
Just try driving it when you're dead. You're much better off kicking the bucket in a town where Amtrak offers checked baggage. :eek:hboy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back