Amtrak F59 459 is on the east coast!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrak_russ

Service Attendant
On Friday I had to take a friend to Kalamazoo to catch a train and I got talking to the station attendant about train manifests. So he started looking some up and he saw that f59 459 was leaving chicago that night on the outbound capital limited. The engine was on its way out there for Display it said... Maybe for train day? Anyways was on youtube and found a video of it going through brunswick, MD on the eastbound Capital limited on 4/19 (Saturday).

I suspect it to be Dead In Tow. I can't imagine needing three engines on that.7
It sounded like it was running in the video, and since it is back to back, in case of an emergency need to run around the train, I'd bet it was running. Not much point in hauling around dead weight, you'll burn the fuel one way or another.

So why did Green Maned Lion's Tale of Two Limiteds mention a trip with three locomotives, one of which was a F59PHi Sounder V40, along with a traction motor failure slowing things down? Did the ownership of the Sounder locomotive mean that Amtrak couldn't run it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back