Amtrak Fall Foliage trips out of Philly

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried booking at 10:05am this morning and it was already sold out. That is a certain barometer of unmet demand!
Looks like Amtrak has found a nice new source of revenue.....I don't see why they don't run another the weekend before or after as well, if it sold that quickly.....

I wasn't implying that if the excursion would line up with the Keystone, more people would want to ride the excursion. But for me, I will probably be driving to a SEPTA station to get into 30th street station or just drive and park in Philly all day. Made me think twice about booking. I only did when I saw it was selling out and am worried this is a once and done trip on some tracks I cross everyday.

I think Amtrak underestimated the amount of people that would come from really far away for this trip. The only reason I was interested is because it is local. If I read about a similar trip, far away, I would not do it. I think the excursion is going to be slow and I am finding it interesting because there are many spots that I will recognize.
I wonder if it would pay to start the excursion, and end it at NYP, with the usual stops in New Jersey.....wonder how many of the passengers might be coming from that direction? But probably better to just do it the way it is, and let passengers book connections.....

Was on the phone with the call center earlier and the attendant said they got absolutely hammered by calls this morning - that it may have sold out in ten minutes. Some reps had folks on the phone booking tickets, and in the few minutes it took to enter their information, seats when from available to sold out. She said she personally took some verbal abuse by upset folks who didn't get seats.

She also said the Horizon cars have 50-52 seats.

I wasn't implying that if the excursion would line up with the Keystone, more people would want to ride the excursion. But for me, I will probably be driving to a SEPTA station to get into 30th street station or just drive and park in Philly all day. Made me think twice about booking. I only did when I saw it was selling out and am worried this is a once and done trip on some tracks I cross everyday.

I think Amtrak underestimated the amount of people that would come from really far away for this trip. The only reason I was interested is because it is local. If I read about a similar trip, far away, I would not do it. I think the excursion is going to be slow and I am finding it interesting because there are many spots that I will recognize.
I wonder if it would pay to start the excursion, and end it at NYP, with the usual stops in New Jersey.....wonder how many of the passengers might be coming from that direction? But probably better to just do it the way it is, and let passengers book connections.....
If you were to come down from NYP it would require either a power change at PHL or that you run one set of power dead en route. You'd also be looking at about a 7:00 AM departure and 6:30 PM arrival...

If you were to come down from NYP it would require either a power change at PHL or that you run one set of power dead en route. You'd also be looking at about a 7:00 AM departure and 6:30 PM arrival...
Heh... they could use an NJT ALP45-DP which in D-mode will give you 3600HP (100mph) and in E mode 5300HP (125mph). :) I am not sure they have certified for operation above 100mph yet though. Besides Amtrak has sworn they will never use one too.

Looks like Amtrak has found a nice new source of revenue.....I don't see why they don't run another the weekend before or after as well, if it sold that quickly.....
They have to get approval to run the train from NS and have to keep the equipment available. They have 2 sold out excursion trains on 1 weekend maximizing the use of the Horizons for an equipment move. My guess is this will be it for this fall, but now that they have seen the demand for autumn color sightseeing and rare mileage trains, there will be more next year.
As for running from NYP, there are multiple alternatives for early AM trains from both NYP and WAS. Take the ticket revenue and not complicate the operations of a daytime excursion train. Next time they run an excursion train from PHL, hopefully they will schedule it so people can take an eastbound Keystone as well to connect.

I admit, I am astounded that the second train sold out this quickly. Has to be much more than railfans, but those interested in a day trip to see the countryside for the fall colors. If they run one from WAS, there would be possibilities of using Superliner equipment, but Amtrak is not exactly flush with spare Superliner coach and sightseer lounge cars.

I've taken a steam excursion from Steamtown to Binghamton over the Nicholson Viaduct, but I thing Albany is a dream that will never happen! :( Although I wish it could/would.
Another possibility is Philly or Harrisburg to Binghamton via Wilkes-Barre, Scranton. That would be a fantastic trip too. Requires cooperation from NS and CP.

I wonder if they allowed some travel agency(s) to book a large block of space for resale? Or is that against Amtrak policy? Cruise lines routinely do that, and if the travel agency finds they cannot sell the space by a certain date, they release it back to the line for open sales....

I suppose if they did do that, we would have heard of it by now, via TA advertisements......so probably not....

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if any private car owner's have tried to get their car on this train?

Again, probably would have heard by now..........

I've taken a steam excursion... ...Binghamton over the Nicholson Viaduct...
Me too! But my steam excursion was r/t Hoboken, with an overnight in Binghampton.
I may have been on the same one.....it was back around 1970 or so, run by Ross Rowland's High Iron Company, with NKP Bershire No. 759 for power. We went west from Hoboken on the Lackawanna via Scranton, and returned the next day on the Erie via Port Jervis. Spent the night at the Treadway Inn in Bingo....A great trip! :)
That's the one. :eek: Amazing! I guess it shouldn't be a surprise for two foamers on a foamer forum to have been on the same trip - but that was just a few years ago. And it was a great trip! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
The only problem with using the 'old main' as I understand it - and this may not be correct, as it is something my Dad told me back in the late '60s or early '70s while watching trains at Point of Rocks - is that its curves are too sharp for today's longer cars. What makes me think the 'Old Man' was on to something is that in recent times I've only ever seen coal on it, and this is why CSX sends frieghts that are not hoppers south through DC via the Met. sub.
Its possible it couldn't originally accommodate 85 ft cars, but after damage due to Hurricane Agnes (1972), it took a while to rebuild the OML (and was almost abandoned) and my guess is that it may have been reconstructed with better geometry. Also, at some point (not sure if pre or post Agnes repairs) the majority of the line when from 2 track to 1 to allow for better clearance in tunnels, so that could have also helped in allowing longer cars. The line is still relatively busy, I hear train horns all the time from my house about 1 mile from the line.

Many people. Posted about them in this thread even!

I got my ticket for it.

I got my ticket for it.
Me too.

I got my ticket for it.
Me too.
Got mine, too! Looking forward to it......

Booked. :)

Now to book my trains to/from PHL

As of 11ish this morning with a little convincing from Charlie I booked myself a ticket on the train.

I logged on at 4:55pm today, got me a ticky!

Me too! But my steam excursion was r/t Hoboken, with an overnight in Binghampton.
I may have been on the same one.....it was back around 1970 or so, run by Ross Rowland's High Iron Company, with NKP Bershire No. 759 for power. We went west from Hoboken on the Lackawanna via Scranton, and returned the next day on the Erie via Port Jervis. Spent the night at the Treadway Inn in Bingo....A great trip! :)
That's the one. :eek: Amazing! I guess it shouldn't be a surprise for two foamers on a foamer forum to have been on the same trip - but that was just a few years ago. And it was a great trip! :cool:
Unfortunately that trip cannot be repeated today, since part of the route that it took does not have any rails on it anymore.

Unfortunately that trip cannot be repeated today, since part of the route that it took does not have any rails on it anymore.
Maybe not on the Lackawanna side, but the Erie side remains intact. Regular NJT-MN service from Port Jervis to Hoboken as well....

Perhaps could reach Scranton via former LV or CNJ trackage, then CP/D&H to Bingo?

The only problem with using the 'old main' as I understand it - and this may not be correct, as it is something my Dad told me back in the late '60s or early '70s while watching trains at Point of Rocks - is that its curves are too sharp for today's longer cars. What makes me think the 'Old Man' was on to something is that in recent times I've only ever seen coal on it, and this is why CSX sends frieghts that are not hoppers south through DC via the Met. sub.
Its possible it couldn't originally accommodate 85 ft cars, but after damage due to Hurricane Agnes (1972), it took a while to rebuild the OML (and was almost abandoned) and my guess is that it may have been reconstructed with better geometry. Also, at some point (not sure if pre or post Agnes repairs) the majority of the line when from 2 track to 1 to allow for better clearance in tunnels, so that could have also helped in allowing longer cars. The line is still relatively busy, I hear train horns all the time from my house about 1 mile from the line.
Thanks! I recall, with my faulty memory, it being double tracked where I-270 goes over it in the '60s and becoming single tracked at some point. I'm curious, have you noticed freights with anything other than hoppers on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back