Amtrak Fare Increase?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjemartin

Train Attendant
Hello,

I was just on Amtrak.com to book a ticket from NFS to WIL and noticed that the fares have increased considerably from the last time I traveled that route, which was for the Christmas holidays 2013.

Is there something I am not aware of, or did Amtrak do a fare increase?

Thank you in advance,

Tom Martin

You may have lucked out and gotten a cheap ticket on your last trip.

Amtrak sells tickets at several different price levels. As tickets are sold, prices go up. Book early for the best prices.

I should have added that I'm looking at travelling to Wilmington, DE again in July 2014. I usually book a Business Class seat on the Maple Leaf leg of the trip. then just coach on NE Regional. Usually it costs me around $200 round trip with my NARP membership card and I've always booked at least a month or two in advance. When looking at fares this morning it's gonna cost me about $330 round trip.

I know Amtrak ridership is increasing, but to me something still is not adding up. That's why I asked if there was a fare increase.

Another thing I have looked into is the Empire Service trains leaving from Niagara Falls, NY (just across the border) are still about the same price as what I've paid in the past when travelling from NFS to NYP. Is there a reason why there is that jump in price if I left from NFS?

It's possible that your NARP card is taking away a discounted 25% off fare on the regional leg. Try booking it as "Adult" rather then NARP.
This could be it. Once you get to the "buy tickets" part, it should tell you that your discount results in a higher fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back