Amtrak forcing conductors to check that sleepers are no-show

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The topic's title and many of these posts seem a bit presumptive. Amtrak cannot "force" conductors to change their behavior any more than they can force a TA-S not to go MIA during trips. Until Amtrak can exhibit that it's capable of running a consistent operation with employees who follow these "mandates," I would not make any assumptions that this issue has been put to bed.

The topic's title and many of these posts seem a bit presumptive. Amtrak cannot "force" conductors to change their behavior any more than they can force a TA-S not to go MIA during trips. Until Amtrak can exhibit that it's capable of running a consistent operation with employees who follow these "mandates," I would not make any assumptions that this issue has been put to bed.
It is true that Amtrak can't "force" conductors to change their behavior. However by putting out a service update that sets out new requirements about reporting no shows in Sleepers, and for checking the EMD for discrepencies between expected passengers and tickets lifted, I believe that while it might not completely eliminate the issue, it should make a big difference.

Incidentally the new Service Standards Manual (thanks to whomever pointed me to 8.1) does discuss EMD operation. A conductor can choose to lift no-show coach tickets, but NOT no show sleepers. This may be because the no-show sleepers are liable to be sold out much faster than a coach, which can be accommodated through seating them in the lounge car.

Lifting Single Passenger on a Single eTicket
Travel Document
a) From the manifest screen, activate the device by
holding the scanning button on the side of the eMD.
• Point the scanner towards the center of the
barcode printed on the passenger’s travel
document. (Refer to Figure 8-51)
• When the ticket is found on the eMD, the
‘Ticket Details’ screen is displayed. (Refer to
Figure 8-52)
• Tap ‘Lift Ticket’ to electronically lift the ticket.
(Refer to Figure 8-53)
• A confirmation message flashes when the
ticket is successfully lifted.
b) After the ticket is successfully lifted, the eMD
returns to the last screen displayed. The eMD
is now ready to scan the next passenger’s travel
document.
c) The following Status Indicators can appear next
to the passenger’s name.
Lifted (Refer to Figure 8-54)
Refunded
Exchange
Honored Not Found
Canceled
No Show: Coach (can be lifted)
No Show: Sleeper/Business Class (cannot
be lifted)

Incidentally the new Service Standards Manual (thanks to whomever pointed me to 8.1) does discuss EMD operation. A conductor can choose to lift no-show coach tickets, but NOT no show sleepers. This may be because the no-show sleepers are liable to be sold out much faster than a coach, which can be accommodated through seating them in the lounge car.
It can't be lifted because the EMD won't allow lifting No Show business class or sleeper space. The EMD will allow lifting No Show coach space. After a certain amount of time though the coach space will become cancelled and that can't be lifted. I guess it is designed so that the premium space; sleeper, business class, first class space, can be resold if it is no show before it reaches it's destination. But you can call up and get it reinstated if you catch it before it is resold.

Whereas I support this policy, and I think it's a great improvement, I am a bit concerned about folks that may have a sleeper out of LAX or BOS but choose to board in Fullerton or BBY, respectively.

This has never been a problem with the Heartland Flyer since the Conductors look at your ticket as you board, mainly to get you to the right Coach and then do the lift once the train has left the station. During the lift they take time to make sure each pax or group of pax know where the restrooms and cafe are and answer any questions they have. Overall an example of outstanding customer service.

This has never been a problem with the Heartland Flyer since the Conductors look at your ticket as you board, mainly to get you to the right Coach and then do the lift once the train has left the station. During the lift they take time to make sure each pax or group of pax know where the restrooms and cafe are and answer any questions they have. Overall an example of outstanding customer service.
Why in the world do they need to have you get into a particular coach? It's only seven stops and three cars. All that fuss is something that should be done after the passengers board and the train is on its way instead of needlessly delaying the train by extending station dwell.

Why in the world do they need to have you get into a particular coach? It's only seven stops and three cars. All that fuss is something that should be done after the passengers board and the train is on its way instead of needlessly delaying the train by extending station dwell.
This is only done in OKC, Norman southbound and FTW as there are only 2 Conductors for 3 cars (no Coach Attendants). Through pax are put in one Coach and Locals in another; so only 1 door has to be opened at the other stops, except Ardmore which is a smoke stop. The third Coach is used for overflow of through pax or large groups.

These guys are good and even after checking tickets and IDs at the steps get folks on quickly.

For what it's worth, I suspect the reason for "check with the car attendant" is that every so often (for reasons ranging from practical, such as putting a family together, to OBS conveinence, such as avoiding an awkward room turn in the middle of the night) someone will be put in a different room either temporarily (10 minutes while a room is made up) or permanently (for a family being moved around). If the conductor doesn't poke around, it's not hard to miss the fact that someone who was supposed to be in roomette 5 was put in roomette 9 and assume a no-show.
I have seen a family asked to wait in the PPC on the CS while the room was made up. No lack of the SA doing their job... about half the car "flipped" at Oakland and only having the one room left to make up after boarding was quite efficient.

Dunno about Fullerton. But out of Boston, nothing is checked or lifted before BBY anyway, so it should not matter.
I have actually been on two regionals this month and had my ticket checked between BBY and BOS.

Dunno about Fullerton. But out of Boston, nothing is checked or lifted before BBY anyway, so it should not matter.
I have actually been on two regionals this month and had my ticket checked between BBY and BOS.
Still I doubt very much that they'd cancel tickets not lifted by BBY, unless the train was very lightly loaded and they managed to lift the ticket of all of the 5 passengers on board by the time it enters the curve away from the Southampton Street Yard lead. It could happen I suppose! :)

Still I doubt very much that they'd cancel tickets not lifted by BBY, unless the train was very lightly loaded and they managed to lift the ticket of all of the 5 passengers on board by the time it enters the curve away from the Southampton Street Yard lead. It could happen I suppose! :)
Oh I don't think they are cancelling any tickets between BOS - BBY. Both times I was in the first car that the conductor was checking tickets in (right behind the lounge) and towards the front of the car. He checked maybe 1/4 of the car between BOS- BBY. But frankly I was surprised because I had never before even seen an attempt to check tickets that early before.

When I was on a regional in September, my BOS-NYP ticket wasn't even scanned until Kingston...
I've had some pretty long segments that weren't lifted. I've talked to conductors about it, and they've generally told me don't worry about it. Riding CC, I can still get an eVoucher if the ticket isn't lifted or I can use it at a later date. I personally don't like to track unused tickets for use at a later date, so I'll almost get the eVoucher immediately. It just gets difficult to track. eVouchers show up clearly on my account. Unused rides kind of show up, but it's hard to tell. One time I had an unused ride that I didn't take three weeks earlier (completely missed the train), and I couldn't figure out exactly which one it was since I didn't take care of it immediately. I ended up searching my email account for the possible reservation number and about 10 minutes with Amtrak customer relations to try and get an eVoucher. I think I went over three or four possibilities before the agent figured out which one was still active.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back