Amtrak Hauling Freight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wjh2

Train Attendant
When I was on the eastbound Capitol Limited, we stopped in the middle of the night in Toledo and I was watching out the window in my roommette. I noticed the baggage car was being loaded/unloaded. When they unloaded the baggage heading towards the station, I noticed there were close to 20 boxes that were labeled fresh cut azaleas.

Is hauling freight in the baggage car normal?

As MrFSS's provided link explains, Amtrak hauls "express" or package express, not "freight" to certain full-service stations. Heavy freight is carried by freight railroads and motor carrier's. Amtrak did briefly experiment with ":Roadrailer's" a few years ago, but ran into resistance from the freight railroads that carried Amtrak trains, as well as operational delays, and subsequently dropped their use.

Historical context:

There was a time in the past when railroads hauled freight in less-than-carload lots (LCL). Pickup and delivery was handled in local freight trains. Freight houses were kept busy moving partial loads from one car to another at various points. This was an extremely labor intensive and low-profit business. As the highway system improved and the trucking industry developed, it became much more efficient to ship these small loads by truck. By the late 1940's, the LCL business was in decline. By the 1960's it was certainly dying and in many cases already dead. I doubt that any railroad was still offering LCL service in the 1970's. That's when Amtrak started.

In the days of LCL, railroads offered Express service. These were expedited shipments of very small quantities, handled by specialized Express companies such as the Railway Express Agency, Adams Express, and others. Fresh flowers, live chicks, holiday gifts, bodies in coffins, newspapers and magazines, and lots of other important, timely shipments were often handled like this. These shipments usually traveled in passenger cars, very much like the handling of mail or even passengers' baggage. There were even specialized express cars designed to carry racehorses or large scenery for traveling shows.

All of this was quite separate from regular freight service, which concentrated on large quantities that required one or two (or a hundred) full freight cars.

Nowadays the large railroads have concentrated on the large shipments. They left LCL to the truckers, express to FedEx and UPS, and passengers to the airlines.

If the big railroads don't want these small shipments, and if Amtrak can handle them at a profit, it makes sense for Amtrak to do that. However, the large railroads did have a point in their objection to Amtrak's hauling of Roadrailers, which were a type of freight cars that could be considered competition with the host railroad.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
LCL turned into LTL(less than truck load). I used to haul containers out of the railheads around Cleveland. A dirty and thankless job but I learned how much frieght rail was annoyed by passenger rail if an accident(Amtrak hitting something usually) held up the freight. For as little as that happened I didn't see it as a big deal but sitting inline at check in and being 20 trucks deep per lines was frustrating at times.

Greyhound has always offered it too. www.shipgreyhound.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back