Amtrak Heritage Coach Cars.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak Railfan said:
Hello there At Albany I will can see the GP40TCs? :)
I'm not familiar with that model number, but unless it's a switcher, then no you wouldn't see it in Albany. Albany only has P42's, P32-ACDC's, Turboliners, and switchers (I think two).

Albany used to be the home for the GP40TCs a while back, but they have all gone away now.

Since they aren't listed on the active roster I'd have to guess they are metal scraps now.

A few were seen around Boston a year or so ago doing switching after they got renumbered into the 500 series, but I havent heard anything about them in a while. Battalion is probably right, they are probably scrapped or sitting in a dead line somewhere. Theres really no use for them anymore, they were old odd second hand units to begin with.

One of the GP40TCs, now listed as GP40PH, was being used as switcher in Harrisburg, PA when I recently passed through. I believe they are numbered in the series 520-527.

Hmmm...I don't see any GP40's listed active by OTOL. I'll try sending an e-mail to Dave Warner to see if he knows anything.

I have actually not seen any GP40 switchers in Boston for about a year. They were quite common before then though. Looks like someone came to their senses and thought it was just fine for a train to be pushed down from Southhampton Yard with road power.

P40Power said:
The Lake Shore Limited has been known to run solid Heritage consists right up till about 94! Im not sure about other eastern trains, but up till the mid 90s or so, Heritage cars, including coaches and lounges, were quite common across the whole eastern system.
As far as i'm concerned, those were the good old days. I loved those heritage fleet coaches with the large windows. If those were still around with rail sale fares, I would be real happy. :D

I got an e-mail from Dave Warner this morning and here's what he had to say:

Our roster shows a number of GP40PHs (formerly the GP40TCs) as still active. As far as I know, they're still around, mostly in switcher duty. The 527 moves around Wilmington everyday.
So there you go.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I should see that switcher then in a week on my trip up to New York. If I do I be sure to post some pictures.
How do you fit in all these long distance train trips? Weren't you just out in California, then Seattle a month before?

Amfleet said:
AMTRAK-P42 said:
I should see that switcher then in a week on my trip up to New York. If I do I be sure to post some pictures.
How do you fit in all these long distance train trips? Weren't you just out in California, then Seattle a month before?
Well Seattle was last summer. But I did just get back from California....for the second time. Well its kinda simple. I am just bored 75% of the year untill summer comes. I take all my trips then :lol:

Mostly Heritage Baggage since that is the only stuff that is allowed to run on freight railroads and will fit through New York tunnels. There may also be a few 1500 series MHC's with mail that will be tranferred to RoadRailers or 60' Boxcars.

They have suspended the Mail Train #13 indefinatly, the demise of the MHCs are what ultimately killed it. Right after they were banned, the train stopped running, 13 was suspended. It doesnt look like 13 will be comming back either, with the demise of the Springfield mail facility. 12, the northbound run of the train which left Washington at 3 AM for Springfield and Boston still runs, but without mail and with a new name and number: Regional 190, it still has the very early 3 AM departure time though and a Shuttle now connects it to Springfield, so no mail is heading that way. I Suppose they could still be hauling it to Boston.

Most of if any of the mail is being attached to long distance trains in Washington like the Silver Meteor. It didn't happen to me last month but I know Viewliner had some added on his trip, it's also shown on the manifest every trip whether it gets added or not.

I had no clue #12/13 got anulled. Thanks for the update. I witnessed #190 come through Route 128 last June and it had no baggage or mail. Have'nt seen it since though. I'm going to try to make it up to S. Station nest week to do a little train watching, so I may see #190.

No problem Amfleet, I didnt think that they handled any mail up to Boston on 190 anyways. I really doubt the mail trains will come back, but I guess theres always a chance. Did 12 carry alot of mail to Boston? I remember reading an article on #13 which was done in 96 and it said that mail from Boston was brought to Springfield on the Lake Shore and then transfered to southbound 13 for the ride down to Washington. But Northbound there was a train right to boston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back