Amtrak iPad/iPhone app update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the_traveler

Engineer
I just received notice of my iPad app for Amtrak saying that "... The scannable barcode is now included on your reservation (on your iPhone/iPad) screen ..." So it looks like Amtrak is preparing for a further rollout of E-Tickets!
smile.gif

Great . . . now if I could see ALL of my reservations there, not just the ones that I booked on the internet . . . I would be happy.

Same goes for the website. Now I can see them all at the quick track, but not on my computer. I can see all of my airline activity regardless of the platform. Amtrak needs to get to that level too.

Just tried it out on my phone, they all still say " paper ticket required" since the routes aren't enabled yet. Will that just go away for existing reservations once they rollout system wide and every reservation will get a barcode ?

An interesting issue I found with it...

Monday I booked a ride from CHI - WAS on the Capitol Limited, but then exchanged it later the same day for a NOL - WAS ticket on the Crescent. The app still shows the the CHI - WAS routing though...

Does it do that still if you click on get details?

Last monthI changed my STL-KCY reservation by a day from Wednesday to Tuesday, on the front listings of the app for all my trips it still claimed the train departed on wednesday when I opened the reservation in the app it became correct and said the scheduled time as Tuesday. On that same trip I was also getting two trips listed for my trip on the Southwest Chief because I had gotten my first ticket refunded and bought a second (for the identical trip) because I was checking randomly and the bucket went down to a lower one and I wanted by $20 back! The app still has kinks to work out!

I just received notice of my iPad app for Amtrak saying that "... The scannable barcode is now included on your reservation (on your iPhone/iPad) screen ..." So it looks like Amtrak is preparing for a further rollout of E-Tickets!
smile.gif
Here's a question: Once the online barcode is "live" and accepted, will the act of opening it up on your iphone/ipad etc count as "printing out your ticket and thus affect one's ability to get a full refund. Just wondering.

Here's a question: Once the online barcode is "live" and accepted, will the act of opening it up on your iphone/ipad etc count as "printing out your ticket and thus affect one's ability to get a full refund. Just wondering.
No. It will only be used when the conductor scans your barcode.

No. It will only be used when the conductor scans your barcode.
Sorry, did not read your question completely. Answer is still no. Since it will be an e-ticket, there is no such things as a printed ticket anymore. That means refunds will be the same as if you had never printed a ticket. And just viewing or printing your barcode also does not count as a printed ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it do that still if you click on get details?

Last monthI changed my STL-KCY reservation by a day from Wednesday to Tuesday, on the front listings of the app for all my trips it still claimed the train departed on wednesday when I opened the reservation in the app it became correct and said the scheduled time as Tuesday. On that same trip I was also getting two trips listed for my trip on the Southwest Chief because I had gotten my first ticket refunded and bought a second (for the identical trip) because I was checking randomly and the bucket went down to a lower one and I wanted by $20 back! The app still has kinks to work out!
Good point, If i click on it it appears to show the right train.

Still kind of disconcerting though!

Ok, so there is a update to provide scannable barcodes. Cool.

However, how about an update for the iPad? The Amtrak app has been out for a while, really should have a full screen version for the iPad by now.

Since I have not read anything about it nor do I see it on the Amtrak website, I gather that Amtrak has not yet released an app for the Android OS. That should be on their near term to do list as well.

*sigh* still no Android App.

peter
What's up with the android users always asking or saying we still don't have an app?? You ask me there's no real benefit of the iPhone app. All the stuff you can do with the app you can do online. I think the only exception is rebooking. But it's not that much of a difference. But if you want the app so bad come to the real world and get an iPhone. Which still outnumbers those droids. :giggle:

I don't think that there are any plans at present for an iPad version of the App. Amtrak doesn't have the development dollars to waste on that when you can still run the current App on the iPad.

I believe that a Droid version is in the works; no idea on when it might be seen though.

I don't think that there are any plans at present for an iPad version of the App. Amtrak doesn't have the development dollars to waste on that when you can still run the current App on the iPad.

I believe that a Droid version is in the works; no idea on when it might be seen though.
Alan, I read elsewhere that an Android app is scheduled for sometime this fall. As an Android user, I look forward to the convenience that an app provides, because although the mobile website isn't bad, it's finicky to log into, and the My Trips section doesn't show bar codes. Besides, I want to catch up with your "I checked in at NYP using the Amtrak app" posts on Facebook. You're just making the rest of us jealous :)

Besides, I want to catch up with your "I checked in at NYP using the Amtrak app" posts on Facebook. You're just making the rest of us jealous :)
You know, half the time that I start out on a trip, I actually forget to check in at NYP prior to pulling out of the station. I'm usually half way to the first station before I remember to open the friggin App and check in.

By the way, one small tidbit for when you do get the App, you can only check in once per day per station. This is why you'll see me often check in at every other station on the way out on a corridor trip or like to Saratoga two weeks ago. Then on my return, I try to check in at the other half of the stations so that people can track things better.

I have the Amtrak iPhone app, but have never been able to see any upcoming trips on it because I've either called to book the trip normally, or else done so through AGR. This app only displays a trip and its barcode(s) if you book it online?

I have the Amtrak iPhone app, but have never been able to see any upcoming trips on it because I've either called to book the trip normally, or else done so through AGR. This app only displays a trip and its barcode(s) if you book it online?
When it comes to Amtrak I depend almost entirely on emails since that's the only technology that Amtrak deems capable of relaying everything no matter the source or situation. I find this restriction puzzling since I cannot think of any other transportation company that operates this way. Hopefully this will change as electronic ticketing becomes the new standard. At least that will be one benefit to counteract all of the new restrictions on refunds and the like.

When it comes to Amtrak I depend almost entirely on emails since that's the only technology that Amtrak deems capable of relaying everything no matter the source or situation. I find this restriction puzzling since I cannot think of any other transportation company that operates this way. Hopefully this will change as electronic ticketing becomes the new standard. At least that will be one benefit to counteract all of the new restrictions on refunds and the like.
The situation is frustrating.

I believe the issue is that when you book online (or via the ap) your logged into your Amtrak Acc't. However if you book online or at an ticket desk you are not logged in & there may not be a way to link them.

peter

That happens, you have to click the button that says ambiguously "No Active Trips" and it will pop open all your trips from the last five days and you can pull up the eTicket QR Code. They gradually disappear within five days of their conclusions.

I believe the issue is that when you book online (or via the ap) your logged into your Amtrak Acc't. However if you book online or at an ticket desk you are not logged in & there may not be a way to link them.
I've yet to come across any two enterprise systems that cannot be linked in some way. Indeed there is a large interface industry that specializes in linking one discrete system to another disparate system and another and another and so on until nearly everything can talk to nearly everything else. That's not to say that Amtrak has the willpower, manpower, or monetary means to get it done but, as nearly every other modern transportation company has proven, it is indeed quite possible.

Great . . . now if I could see ALL of my reservations there, not just the ones that I booked on the internet . . . I would be happy.

Same goes for the website. Now I can see them all at the quick track, but not on my computer. I can see all of my airline activity regardless of the platform. Amtrak needs to get to that level too.
That's my major gripe as well. We recently booked BNL to SAS for next April (one-way AGR and the other we had to pay). Neither show up online or on the app...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back