Amtrak is so burdened that they may not be able to manage projects

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NE933

Conductor
Word from other sites about the Inspector General finding the NJ highspeed overhaul project is over budget, late, and only 14 instead of 26 miles worth of route will get done unless more money is found. Similar tales for the Springfield line in Connecticut. This looks and feels hopeless......

Word from other sites about the Inspector General finding the NJ highspeed overhaul project is over budget ...

This looks and feels hopeless......
Link to that report? I missed it.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.amtrakoig.gov/sites/default/files/reports/oig-a-2015-012.pdf

Well worth a read.

My jaw dropped when I read Amtrak had about two weeks to come up with a cost estimate from the time FRA issued the notice of availability of funds to the cost submission deadline. Who can do that in two weeks on a half billion dollar project? If Amtrak knew this was coming before the FRA notice the OIG should so state. The rest of the report speaks for itself so I will not comment beyond the obvious. Depressing.

Thanks.

I've finished page 2 and already:

"Spending authority for the grant funds provided by the Act expires in June 2017."

Wait. I thought the Stimulus deadline was September. Now they say June for this biggie?

And remember when the Amtrak official was fired for feathering his nest with Amtrak's money and stuff. It was a secret when that report was released. But now it says ...

"We have previously reported on gross mismanagement of funds and resources by the former Deputy Chief Engineer, Section Improvements."

​I need to read more, not that I like what I'm reading!

I've finished page 2 and already:

"Spending authority for the grant funds provided by the Act expires in June 2017." [/size]

Wait. I thought the Stimulus deadline was September. Now they say June for this biggie?[/size]
I have not yet had the chance to read the OIG report - read enough depressing stuff in the past few days, but I think it refers to the June, 2017 "deadline" put in place by the FRA. If you look at the projected completion date for many of the HSIPR projects, it is by June, 2017. My interpretation is that the FRA imposed a June, 2017 date so there would be a 3 month "buffer" for projects running late to allow a small amount of additional time to complete the work and turn in the invoices. I'm pretty sure the spending deadline imposed by Congress was the end of FY2017, ie September 30, 2017. Regardless 3 months or 90 days is a very short buffer window for major construction projects.
BTW, if you want to find the Amtrak OIG reports, the link to the Amtrak OIG website is provided right at the bottom of the Amtrak main page under Amtrak Info.

And remember when the Amtrak official was fired for feathering his nest with Amtrak's money and stuff. It was a secret when that report was released. But now it says ...[/size]

"We have previously reported on gross mismanagement of funds and resources by the former Deputy Chief Engineer, Section Improvements."[/size]
Now we know the job title of the thief. This may actually narrow it down to a single person, but it may not. (I don't know if there's more than one Deputy Chief Engineer, Section Improvements position.)

The process of replacing this snake-in-the-grass is, unfortunately, quite likely delaying a bunch of projects. Because that's the boss of the division which constructs some of the improvements.

----

I am not surprised that the necessary overhead wire replacement turns out to cost a lot more than expected. Nobody had really evaluated the state it was in. It's like the bridge replacements, antique stuff which is mostly totally shot.

On the other hand, spending money on frequency converters is completely nuts. Amtrak needs to be converting to 60 Hz.

And remember when the Amtrak official was fired for feathering his nest with Amtrak's money and stuff. It was a secret when that report was released. But now it says ...[/size]

"We have previously reported on gross mismanagement of funds and resources by the former Deputy Chief Engineer, Section Improvements."[/size]
Now we know the job title of the thief. This may actually narrow it down to a single person, but it may not. (I don't know if there's more than one Deputy Chief Engineer, Section Improvements position.)

The process of replacing this snake-in-the-grass is, unfortunately, quite likely delaying a bunch of projects. Because that's the boss of the division which constructs some of the improvements.

----

I am not surprised that the necessary overhead wire replacement turns out to cost a lot more than expected. Nobody had really evaluated the state it was in. It's like the bridge replacements, antique stuff which is mostly totally shot.

On the other hand, spending money on frequency converters is completely nuts. Amtrak needs to be converting to 60 Hz.
No, 25Hz is just fine. The cost of frequency convertor upgrades is far less than the cost to convert the entire ET system to 3-phase, 60Hz with little equipment or operational benefit. Of course, that has been explained multiple times, but the technical facts don't seem to sink in.

No, 25Hz is just fine. The cost of frequency convertor upgrades
Indefinitely into the future for the next 100 years, plus frequency-switching taps for every locomotive and MU ordered by Amtrak, NJT, or SEPTA for the next 100 years, and the cost of maintaining and replacing non-standard parts which aren't produced for anyone else...

is far less than
No, "far more than" would be correct

the cost to convert the entire ET system to 3-phase, 60Hz with little equipment or operational benefit. Of course, that has been explained multiple times, but the technical facts don't seem to sink in.
Yes, indeed, we HAVE explained this many times and the technical facts don't seem to sink in.
I assume what's happening is that you're looking at a very short-sighted, narrow-minded, "how much does it cost my department this week" picture. If you're looking at all the agencies and looking out 100 years, it's perfectly obvious which option is cheaper FOR AMERICA: switching to 60Hz.

Even Metro-North figured this out, but Amtrak seems to have professional experts in extreme short-sightedness in charge of its engineering.

This isn't like the enormous Swiss/German installed base of 16.7Hz equipment. This isn't a large enough installation to maintain production lines. Every piece is going to be custom, with the associated cost premium, and that problem is only going to get worse over time.

But it's just like Amtrak to deliberately lock itself into a high cost structure forever, isn't it?

I'd love to see a hard analysis with numbers for the cost difference of equipment and the cost of maintaining frequency converters up against the cost to switch over to 60 Hz to show how long it would take to recoup that investment.

Indefinitely into the future for the next 100 years, plus frequency-switching taps for every locomotive and MU ordered by Amtrak, NJT, or SEPTA for the next 100 years, and the cost of maintaining and replacing non-standard parts which aren't produced for anyone else...
is far less than
the cost to convert the entire ET system to 3-phase, 60Hz with little equipment or operational benefit. Of course, that has been explained multiple times, but the technical facts don't seem to sink in.
Yes, indeed, we HAVE explained this many times and the technical facts don't seem to sink in.
I assume what's happening is that you're looking at a very short-sighted, narrow-minded, "how much does it cost my department this week" picture. If you're looking at all the agencies and looking out 100 years, it's perfectly obvious which option is cheaper FOR AMERICA: switching to 60Hz.

Even Metro-North figured this out, but Amtrak seems to have professional experts in extreme short-sightedness in charge of its engineering.

This isn't like the enormous Swiss/German installed base of 16.7Hz equipment. This isn't a large enough installation to maintain production lines. Every piece is going to be custom, with the associated cost premium, and that problem is only going to get worse over time.

But it's just like Amtrak to deliberately lock itself into a high cost structure forever, isn't it?
What non-standard parts are you talking about? What "high cost structure" for 25Hz, single phase compared to the structure for 60Hz, three phase? Be specific.

A transformer is a transformer. It doesn't care what the frequency is. It only has to be sized correctly. A circuit breaker is a circuit breaker. It does not care what the frequency is. It only has to be sized correctly. The protection scheme is the protection scheme. It only has to be set correctly. On board the train, all the incoming power is rectified to DC and then inverted back to AC. That is true for 60Hz, 50Hz, 25Hz, or any Hz of supply.

The biggest savings to Amtrak by going to three-phase, 60Hz would the ability to abandon their high voltage transmission system and step-down substations. Instead of injecting power at a handful of convertor sites, they would inject it at numerous utility service points. The problem is that the utilities are not set up to service Amtrak at numerous points. You can't just throw a triplex over to a street pole line to service Amtrak load. The cost for the utilities to provide those supply points was much more than Amtrak was willing to pay. They would need a new set of service point substations and a new, three-phase supply system. They would also have to completely replace their protection and control system, kind of like putting in a new train signal system. They would have to do all these changes while still running the railroad, and for what benefit? Not non-standard equipment - their equipment is standard, off the shelf. Getting out from under the 138kV transmission costs. That's it. Plus, Amtrak effectively owns two 25Hz hydro generators at Safe Harbor Dam. That is virtually free power for Amtrak day-after-day, year-after-year. Throw it away.

This is a little like arguing climate change with a denier. Science and technical facts don't seem to matter.

is far less than

What non-standard parts are you talking about? What "high cost structure" for 25Hz, single phase compared to the structure for 60Hz, three phase? Be specific.

A transformer is a transformer. It doesn't care what the frequency is. It only has to be sized correctly. A circuit breaker is a circuit breaker. It does not care what the frequency is. It only has to be sized correctly. The protection scheme is the protection scheme. It only has to be set correctly. On board the train, all the incoming power is rectified to DC and then inverted back to AC. That is true for 60Hz, 50Hz, 25Hz, or any Hz of supply.

The biggest savings to Amtrak by going to three-phase, 60Hz would the ability to abandon their high voltage transmission system and step-down substations. Instead of injecting power at a handful of convertor sites, they would inject it at numerous utility service points. The problem is that the utilities are not set up to service Amtrak at numerous points. You can't just throw a triplex over to a street pole line to service Amtrak load. The cost for the utilities to provide those supply points was much more than Amtrak was willing to pay. They would need a new set of service point substations and a new, three-phase supply system. They would also have to completely replace their protection and control system, kind of like putting in a new train signal system. They would have to do all these changes while still running the railroad, and for what benefit? Not non-standard equipment - their equipment is standard, off the shelf. Getting out from under the 138kV transmission costs. That's it. Plus, Amtrak effectively owns two 25Hz hydro generators at Safe Harbor Dam. That is virtually free power for Amtrak day-after-day, year-after-year. Throw it away.

This is a little like arguing climate change with a denier. Science and technical facts don't seem to matter.
That last sentence is really well put. ;)

A point about transformers, usually a lower Hertzage (is that even a word?) for the same power throughput requires more metal in it making it a bit heavier, but all that at present is sunk cost for the next several decades anyway.

Of course for the 60Hz obsessed, there is another way, which is to replace all the 60-25 converters in the setup by 60-60 converters (basically 3 phase to single phase using phase balances converters). That saves on the rewiring and just involves getting a bunch of converters. Again, not cheap, but probably slightly cheaper than rewiring for 3 phase 60Hz 2x12.5kV or 2x25kV system

The Hydro-power generators of course need not be thrown away, they could either be converted straight to 60Hz, or be hitched into the 60Hz network using 25Hz to 60Hz 3 phase to 3 phase converters, both rather expensive propositions AFAICT.

The fact of the matter is that the point at which the switchover to 60Hz 3 phase could have occurred was before Richmond was converted. Now it is all water over the dam and people talking about converting are whistling in the wind. The 25 Hz thing is now pretty much etched in stone for the next 5 or so decades at least. So now to claim that no more 25Hz converters should be added to provide additional capacity is just being silly IMHO.

The relevant question to ask would be "Which other critical SOGR or infrastructure replacement project do you propose to prioritize lower than the 60Hz conversion project?"

Typically one does such major conversions when there is a small island of an older system in a sea of newer standardized system,. That certainly is not the case on the NEC (yet). I would think though that any new trunk electrification, e.g. Washington to Richmond, should be done using 25kV 60Hz, if they ever get around to doing it.

India for example converted the 3kV DC around Kolkata after every other line in that area had been planned for and funded for electrification using 25kV/50Hz AC. In the Mumbai are the conversion of the 1.5kV DC system was finally completed this year, since that 1.5kV island was way bigger than the 3kV island in Kolkata. But then remember, it was also just 5 years back that all trunk lines into the Mumbai area were finally electrified using the 25kV/50Hz syste, too (well except for Konkan Railway, which is yet to be electrified.)

The Hydro-power generators of course need not be thrown away, they could either be converted straight to 60Hz, or be hitched into the 60Hz network using 25Hz to 60Hz 3 phase to 3 phase converters, both rather expensive propositions AFAICT.
That's easy, just take all the static converters out, move them to Safe Harbor and hook 'em up backwards to turn the 25Hz into 60 Hz. :D

This mysterious "frequency-switching tap" thing? What do you suppose it takes to change frequency of the input into a locomotive/EMU? Do you really believe that it involves changing some tap? Or are are you just confused between frequency change and voltage change?

That's easy, just take all the static converters out, move them to Safe Harbor and hook 'em up backwards to turn the 25Hz into 60 Hz. :D
Yep just put the right tap in at the right place :p

A transformer is a transformer. It doesn't care what the frequency is. It only has to be sized correctly. A circuit breaker is a circuit breaker. It does not care what the frequency is. It only has to be sized correctly.
Then I assume transformers don't have to be built in any way custom to run on 25 Hz? You can just use the exact same transformers you'd use for 60 Hz? (No, you can't, you have to size them differently. Looks like all the 25 Hz ones will run on 60 Hz, but not vice versa; in other words, they are all overweight for their power ratings -- continuing ongoing cost every time one is replaced.) Similar problems seem to arise with circuit breakers.

So the trains which Metro-North runs will just run on 25Hz without alteration?

So the SEPTA trains can run under 60Hz without alteration?

I've been told repeatedly that this is not the case. Please do feel free to tell me that Silverliner Vs will run on 60 Hz without alteration (well, I know they will in Denver), or that M8s will run on 25 Hz without blinking (less likely).

Or, in the alternative, I'd love to know all the specific parts which are not the same are. You're so supposedly full of knowledge, I'm sure you can list them off. How about it? Prove that you actually know what you're talking about.

If it's all so easy to use the same equipment, I suggest you explain why it's supposedly so expensive to switch to 60 Hz. Maybe it's mainly the control circuitry which is different... that's bad enough.

Not non-standard equipment - their equipment is standard, off the shelf.
Outright false. Of course the extremely expensive frequency converters are strictly one-off custom jobs.
I really don't know what sort of circuit breakers Amtrak uses, but all the high-voltage designs I can think of require a rectifier somewhere in the process for measurement. Which means you're measuring different pulse patterns depending on the frequency. Which requires... care in designing your voltmeters.

*Everything* is going to have slightly different calculations for 25 Hz, from current transformers onward. Are you telling me that the equipment is basically "rounded up" to the next larger (or smaller) size of built-for-60Hz equipment, and the calibrations redone?

Even the *calculations* are still a continuing cost.

----

jis said:
Typically one does such major conversions when there is a small island of an older system in a sea of newer standardized system. That certainly is not the case on the NEC (yet)
Really? It sure looks like a small island of an older system when viewing it from New York City.

Maybe it looks different when looking at it from Philadelphia. :) Anyway, Jis is right, when they replaced the first of the frequency converters, that was the moment of poor decision-making.

Of course for the 60Hz obsessed, there is another way, which is to replace all the 60-25 converters in the setup by 60-60 converters (basically 3 phase to single phase using phase balances converters). That saves on the rewiring and just involves getting a bunch of converters.
... specifically, a sort of converter which is still used by someone other than Amtrak, and therefore still mass-produced. :p Heck, 60-50 converters may still be used by other-than-Amtrak for all I know.
I guess the key problem is actually that the entire 25 Hz network is phase-synchronized, which makes it look like the entire network would have to be changed over in one go. It would not have to be. The first step would have been to put a phase break in somewhere in New Jersey. Sunnyside Frequency Converter seems to be the worst investment.

I don't know exactly how many years the payback is for standardization. I'm sure that in the 10-20 year time period it looks cheaper to just keep using obsolete standards. It just sickens me to see money misinvested this way when it's quite clear what the correct 200-year move is.

But I suppose that's the entire history of Amtrak, isn't it? There's never enough money to do anything *RIGHT* for the long term, so money keeps getting invested patching whatever-already-exists up, at a higher long term cost. Starting with the Heritage Fleet, and then the buy-it-quick Amfleets. Contrast any country which actually gives a damn about their rail system. (Britain is actually biting the bullet and replacing the mainline third rail system with overhead as it expires. Metro-North is... rebuilding unique-in-the-world underrunning third rail, because USA.)

Honestly, all kinds of things are happening to the power industry. Within 20 years, many of the utility companies are going to price themselves out of the market, as the trend is towards decentralization, solar power, and heavy use of batteries. Most generation, apart from hydro and wind, is going to end up being DC. Because of installed base, inverters for converting this to 50 Hz and 60 Hz and feeding it into the power grid will be mass produced; for converting to 25 Hz, not so much.

Committing hundreds of millions of dollars to frequency converters for a non-standard frequency.... well, I guess we're stuck with it for another five decades now that Amtrak has spent the money on so many of them already, but what a waste.

200-year move? At least looking at Wikipedia, 200 years ago America was just starting their railroad boom (looks like 1828.) Technology changes so much that looking at a 200-year investment is terrible, because it's extremely likely that it'll change in some major way during that time, in ways we may not even know about today.

EDIT: If the industry is going to change within 20 years, why not wait for that change and optimize the system for that change, instead of converting it now and then having additional overhead 20 years from now if/when the system changes?

EDIT: If the industry is going to change within 20 years, why not wait for that change and optimize the system for that change, instead of converting it now and then having additional overhead 20 years from now if/when the system changes?
It would be totally fine to wait for that change and coast on the old equipment until then. What I'm complaining about is Amtrak's *large, recent investment in new frequency converters* and *plan to do more of the same*.

Put the money into the gantries and wires instead.

Frankly, given current trends at Amtrak towards the removal of dining cars, Amtrak's purchase of brand spanking new dining cars may end up being the same sort of mistake: large financial investment in equipment which will be obsolete well before its life is up.

If Amtrak had been able money wise to convert 25 Hz to 60 Hz about 1990 it would have made sense. Then DC traction was almost universal. Now converting any Hz to DC then go thru an inverter for variable frequency AC traction is much easier. None of us can believe the change in technology. Transformer size for 25 Hz is somewhat larger but works just great for 60 Hz with no loss of efficiency.

If you read the NEC NJ work problems there is evidently a crying need to replace the CAT and 138 Kv poles immediately. Over 1100 poles need replacing just Trenton - New Brunswick. More important than converting to 60 Hz now.

Once the curves are eased and the CAT all constant tension the conversion could be contemplated.

even so only 12.5 Kv would be possible.

As conversion is completed reuseable 25 Hz equipment can go to remaining locations.

The order would probably be:

1. .Sunnyside ( GATE CP ) to Portal bridge.

2. Perryville - WASH

3. Paoli - Harrisburg

4. Portal - Trenton

5. Rest of PHL area.

two fly in the ointment is the NJ Transit Coast line & SEPTA which is also adding new converters at Wayne. Septa has even more money problems than Amtrak.

If you read the NEC NJ work problems there is evidently a crying need to replace the CAT and 138 Kv poles immediately. Over 1100 poles need replacing just Trenton - New Brunswick. More important than converting to 60 Hz now.
Absolutely. That's why I said "what the hell, they're planning to buy another frequency converter rather than spend their money on poles and wires?"

A few observations:

Under-running third rail that Metro North uses is not unique at all. It is found in many places in the world. For example all of Berlin's S-Bahn is under-running third rail.

PRR60 spent almost his entire professional life working for an electric power utility. I would trust his statements way more than anything from anyone else on this forum on matters dealing with power electrics. He actually does know what he is talking about.

Converting from 25Hz single phase system to 60Hz 3 phase system involves way more than just taking a few converters out of service, and just hooking the catenary upto the commercial grid. Please do listen to what PRR60 is saying. He is not blowing smoke. He knows his stuff.

Please note that most of the poles are being reused as is for the 138kV transmission lines. New poles are being installed only where necessary for providing shorter spans for the CT catenary. This business about replacing 1100 poles is just overstating or misstating facts.

Why is the NJT Coast Line a fly in the ointment? South of Matawan it is already constant tension catenary with 25kV 60Hz power. NJTransit would be perfectly happy to get 25kV (or even 12kV 60Hz) from Union to Matawan (Rare). All of NJT's own electrification is 25kV 60Hz.

And finally about 60Hz and 25Hz, a transformer that is sized for a specific maximum power with 25Hz supply will work fine with 60Hz supply drawing the same power. A transformer that is sized for a given max power with 60Hz supply will overheat if an attempt is made to draw the same power from a 25Hz supply through it.

NJT Arrow IIIs (as well as ALP-44s and 46s, and all of Amtrak's electric locos) work fine under both 25Hz and 60Hz changing on the fly for this reason. Their transformers are sized for 25Hz operation. The Silver Vs are naturally sized for 25Hz operation so they will work just fine under 60Hz. The M-8s (except for the add-on order for Shore Line East) are unfortunately sized for only 60Hz operation so they will not work well under 25Hz. This was actually a serious shortsighted mistake on the part of MNRR IMHO and they will pay dearly for it in requiring acquisition of additional equipment or equipping some subset of M8s with dual third rail shoes that can work on both under and overrunning third rails.

200 years is a long time to be talking about. Who knows what the preferred standard will be in another 50 years.

Interestingly, because all of Siemens equipment in their original design (for Germany/Switzerland) are sized for 16 2/3 Hz anyway they will work just fine under 25Hz or 50Hz or 60Hz. Alstom's 4 system TGVs are also sized similarly, as are the Bombardier's TRAXX. The fact that a very significant chunk of Europe is 16 2/3 Hz makes this whole issue of lower frequency rolling stock a moot point. They already are built capable for such. No special order needed.

As for small island or big island, it is not a question of where you look at it from. The size of the island does not change. A reasonable technical measure of the island is the total number of track miles of catenary, and the total burst load capacity needed to feed it.. I don't believe there is any island of catenary in the US that is significantly bigger in terms of track miles than the 25Hz system in the north east.

BTW, the reason that additional converters are needed in NJ is to support higher speed and more frequent service with generally heavier/longer trains in NJ (as planned) which requires higher burst load capacity. The current set of converters feeding the NJ segment of the NEC are inadequate for meeting the projected needs that is why additional converter capacity is needed. It is not a choice between converters and catenary, as is being claimed by some.

Anyhow, you can take the statement "There will be no conversion from 25Hz to 60Hz on NEC South" and take it to the bank! Given the zillion things that need to be done, it is so low in priority order that it is well below any conceivable cut line at present and for the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back