Amtrak Lake Shore Limited Train 48

• Thread starter Ricardo Gonzalez
  • Start date
Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ricardo Gonzalez

Hello does every know how many Passager Cars runing Yesterday on Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited Train 48 from Chicago IL to New York NY and is that train also runing on time yesterday? E mail me!

#48 departed CHI 23 minutes late. Was reported 2 hours and 1 minute late into NYC. The normal Spring/Summer consist is as followed:

P-42 (BOS-ALB-CHI)

P-42 (BOS-ALB-CHI)

P-32AC-DM (NYC-ALB)

Heritage Baggage (BOS-ALB-CHI)

Viewliner Sleeper (BOS-ALB-CHI)

Amfleet II Coach (BOS-ALB-CHI)

Amfleet II Coach (BOS-ALB-CHI)

Amfleet I or Horizon Cafe (BOS-ALB-CHI)*

Heritage Diner (NYC-ALB-CHI)

Amfleet II Coach (NYC-ALB-CHI)

Viewliner Sleeper (NYC-ALB-CHI)

Viewliner Sleeper (NYC-ALB-CHI)

Heritage Crew Dorm (NYC-ALB-CHI)

Heritage Baggage (NYC-ALB-CHI)

Roadralers/Express (ALB-CHI)

*Notice, the Lake Shore Limited has not been carrying a full Lounge for about 9 months. Also, if a Sleeping Car is BO a Coach will be substituted, if a Diner is BO a Lounge will be substituted.

Ricardo,

Unless somebody has actually spotted this particular train, it is difficult to know how many cars it was carrying. The Lake Shore Limited east of Albany/Rensselaer, NY has two sections, one to Boston and one to New York. West of Albany, these two sections are combined. How many cars it actually has is based on the time of the year, and the expected demand. The combined part can have anywhere from 5 to 8 Amfleet II coaches depending on the demand and how many come from each eastern section. The combined train will also have two engines, two baggage cars, a Heritage sleeper used as a crew dorm, 4-6 Viewliner sleepers, a Heritage diner, and an Amfleet II lounge car.

4-6 Viewliners?!! Ive never seen more then 3 total on the Lake Shore Limited when its combined, even in the Summer, and before there was a huge equipment shortage the train would generally run with 7 Amfleet II coaches - 5 NYP and 2 BOS but generally there are 5-6 now adays. As Amfleet said also, the chances of seeing an Amfleet II lounge on this train is slim to none!

Does every know is train #49 the Lake Shore Limited Train left New York Penn Station on time yesterday? E mail me.

Go to tickets.amtrak.com and go to train status and you can get the times a train departed up to 5 days in the past. Just type in the station and the train number and you got it, its a really good feature.

Hope it's running a full consist/this friday,when I take off for NYP...I got me a standard sleeper,so I hope they run a dinner that works!!Then It's on the Acela Express to Was/Union to spend the nite.Then a nice breakfast somewhere & board the Cardinal to Cin/Ohio...Whats the consist of the Cardinal to Cin. gonna be??Got a standard bedroom on the Cardinal to,so I hope they don't come up short of cars....

The cardinal will probably be 1-2 Viewliners, a Amfleet II lounge ( I think they use them alot on this route) a Diner, and maybe 2-3 Amfleet II coaches.

P40Power said:
4-6 Viewliners?!! Ive never seen more then 3 total on the Lake Shore Limited when its combined, even in the Summer, and before there was a huge equipment shortage the train would generally run with 7 Amfleet II coaches - 5 NYP and 2 BOS but generally there are 5-6 now adays. As Amfleet said also, the chances of seeing an Amfleet II lounge on this train is slim to none!
I was not sure how many VL's are in each section, which is why I gave a number range. I figured 2 or 3 VL's in each section, but Boston may only have one. I was probably considering the coaches in each section as an individual train, hence the high figure for that.

Hmm perhaps I'll take a ride on the Lake Shore in mid-July and see for myself what it's like so I can report more accurately about it. I hear Chicago is lovely that time of year. B) B)

Guest said:
P40Power said:
I was not sure how many VL's are in each section, which is why I gave a number range. I figured 2 or 3 VL's in each section, but Boston may only have one. I was probably considering the coaches in each section as an individual train, hence the high figure for that.

Hmm perhaps I'll take a ride on the Lake Shore in mid-July and see for myself what it's like so I can report more accurately about it. I hear Chicago is lovely that time of year. B) B)
The above was me forgetting to logon.

Ive seen 2 Heritage Sleepers on the Boston Section in the past, but never more then one Viewliner. I suppose maybe a deadhead goes through once in a while. From what I understand the Sleeper demand on the Boston section isnt too high anyways. The New York section has 2 sleepers during prime season, and only one during the winter off season.

About checking train status, if you do not at some moment have access to

the the internet, just call 1-800-USA RAIL, that is the number of "Julie" the automated Amtrak voice. Her third question will ask you to say "train status" and she prompts you from there. Be ready with the train numbver.

As to my knowledge (from working last year), the standard consist is the BOS viewliner, 2 BOS Amfleet II coaches, 4 NYP Amfleet II coaches, Horizon lounge, Heritage diner, 2 NYP viewliners, and the Heritage dorm car.

Today's Lake Shore Limited train from Chicago IL to New York NY and Boston MA runing on time?

Ricardo Gonzalez said:
Today's Lake Shore Limited train from Chicago IL to New York NY and Boston MA runing on time?
Ricardo,

We wouldn't know that information as no one here works for Amtrak. This is not Amtrak's website nor is it sponsored by Amtrak. This forum is simply a home for a bunch of Amtrak fans.

You would have to check with Amtrak yourself. You can do that by calling Amtrak at 1-800-872-7245. You can also check a trains status by going to Amtrak's website. If you click here you will be taken directly to Amtrak's Train Status page. There you can get the status of any Amtrak train in the country, simply by entering the correct information.

On what Lake Shore Limited Trains can I Find the Horizon Cafe Cars on the New York Section or the Boston Section Trains?

Ricardo Gonzalez said:
On what Lake Shore Limited Trains can I Find the Horizon Cafe Cars on the New York Section or the Boston Section Trains?
The Horizon Car runs on the Boston Section (Trains 448/449), but can also be seen on the combined west of (and At) Albany.

On the New York Trains is the P32AC-DM is the first car the dinner Car or the coach Cars?

Ricardo Gonzalez said:
On the New York Trains is the P32AC-DM is the first car the dinner Car or the coach Cars?
Ricardo:

The ONE time I took the Lake Shore (1998) from New York to Chicago, the train out of NY Penn led with the coaches (three?), then the diner, and then two Viewliner Sleepers. At Albany, the dual-mode Genesis was cut off, and the Boston section, with a lounge café, a coach (maybe two), and another Viewliner was added to the front for the trip across the New York Central’s fabled water-level route to Chicago. The train also had an assortment of baggage and box cars.

Sorry for the approximations on the listing of the cars. I do not typically note the train make-up. I have started recording aircraft registration numbers on my airline trips, however, so train consists can’t be far behind!

Bill

In 1998 The Lake Shore ran the opposite it does today. The Boston Section ran on back and the New York Section up front. The set up from 97-2002 of the Lake Shore caused numerous headaches with the complicated switching moves which had to be done at Albany. PRR, I figure you must have your consist backwards, or the trip could have been pre 98.

P40Power said:
In 1998 The Lake Shore ran the opposite it does today.  The Boston Section ran on back and the New York Section up front.  The set up from 97-2002 of the Lake Shore caused numerous headaches with the complicated switching moves which had to be done at Albany.  PRR, I figure you must have your consist backwards, or the trip could have been pre 98.
Opps! You are probably right.

Thinking back, I remember using a west stairway at NYP for the Lake Shore and then walking west along the platform to our Viewliner. That sure would put us at the front of the train, now wouldn’t it! Then we must have walked toward the rear for the diner (not forward, like I thought). And, since there were no coach passengers walking though our car for the diner or lounge after Albany, that would put the Boston section on the back.

That just shows how poorly I tracked the consist of the train. I can’t even remember what end I was in! Good Grief!

BTW, our trip was April 13-14, 1998. That much I know for sure! And it wasn’t a bad ride, either. Someday, we might ride it again, if (and it is a big if) I can coerce my wife to try Amtrak just one more time. She is a good sport, and does not complain, but she finds absolutely no charm in overnight Amtrak travel.

Is Box Cars still runing on the Lake Shore Limited Trains?

Its alright PRR we all make mistakes once in a while! B) And Ricardo, Express Box Cars are not on the Lake Shore Limited anymore, thats why they have been making much better time recently, especially around Albany! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back