Amtrak Lake Shore Limited Train Route.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
Hello there I want to Know all about the Lake Shore Limited please. My first thing to ask is how many minutes does the Lake Shore Limited need to wait in Albany NY to go to Boston MA and why?

It depends. With its new setup the Boston section only needs an half hour or so in the station.

1) It needs to be disconnected from the New York Section and brought on to the Post Road Branch a little ways.

2) Needs to let the New York Section connect its Dual mode loco and complete station work and leave (15-25 mins)

3) Backs back in the station to do its station work (Passengers, baggage, etc.)

4) Locomotives are fueled and often the passenger cars are filled with water.

The old process was more time consuming where the Boston section was on back was thrown out thankfully in 2002. Like I said, theres usually an hour or so dwell time but if everything goes well the train only needs 30-45 mins to complete its station work and it usually makes up time in the station, not the case 2 years ago.

P40Power said:
1) It needs to be disconnected from the New York Section and brought on to the Post Road Branch a little ways.
Actually when I was on it last month, we pulled into the station. Dropped off our passengers, then they cut the Express Track off the back and took the Boston section off the front.

The Boston section then pulled right down the main to NY and not onto the Post Road Branch. They then backed the Boston section back up into the station onto the Main Track. That's the only track that currently can switch onto the Post Road branch.

They gave us a P32 AC-DC and off we went to NYP.

Amtrak Railfan said:
Hello there I want to Know all about the Lake Shore Limited please. My first thing to ask is how many minutes does the Lake Shore Limited need to wait in Albany NY  to go to Boston MA and why?
Ricardo, rather than ask so many questions at once, could you either limit the amount of questions you ask us and/or respond to some of our postings and give us the opportunity to get to know you as a railfan. Otherwise, you may start to find many of us get tired of your questions and stop answering them. I wouldn't be surprised if its starting to happen already.

I apologize in advance if this post upsets anybody else, but this is exactly what the pinned note to all users about excessive posting is all about. I don't want us to lose our counters and/or our privilage of enjoying being able to come here.

Well Alan, last time I saw the Lake Shore in like November 2002, it didnt have any M&E at all at the rear of the train and they did pull the Boston section up on the Branch aways, maybe they use different senerios at the station for different situations.

I'm sure that they do. :)

In addition to the Express Trak, a lot will simply depend on when the LSL actually arrives. After all it's anybody's guess as to what other trains might actually be in the station at the time the LSL arrives.

The Lake Shore was screwed up Majorly when we took the Foliage Flyer into Albany. By an act of god, the Lake Shore was actually on time into albany but we blocked the main track and the branch screwing the whole thing up as well as the Andirondack which wanted to get in.

You can always see one Viewliner on the Boston leg (though sometimes due to circumstances a sleeper is not advailable on the Boston section and is replaced by an extra Amfleet coach (sometimes an amfleet I!!)).

In peak seasons, like summer and around Chistmas and such, the New York section runs with two Viewliners. But in off peak seasons, like the middle of January, the New York section only runs with one.

Ohh man Railfan, come on the Lake Shore Limited hasnt earned the nickname "Late for Sure Limited" for nothing - the Lake Shore is known for being late very often, sometimes VERY late.

But Railfan, ALL Amtrak trains are late every now and then!! Things just happen, its true for all modes of transportation, occasionally they run late, sometimes more often then not!

P40Power said:
Ohh man Railfan, come on the Lake Shore Limited hasnt earned the nickname "Late for Sure Limited" for nothing - the Lake Shore is known for being late very often, sometimes VERY late.  
But Railfan, ALL Amtrak trains are late every now and then!! Things just happen, its true for all modes of transportation, occasionally they run late, sometimes more often then not!
:lol: You get 100% agreement here. When I was in New York a few weeks ago, I bet my friend 10 dollars that the eastbound would be atleast 3 hours late....It was 4 :D . My only regret is that I didnt bet him any more. :p

Good way to make a quick 10 bucks!!

Now I only wonder what kind of things caused that particular Lake Shore to be 4 hours late, it could be any number of things.

The Westbound tends to fare a bit better timewise from my observations, it usualy arrives Chicago late, but only by a short period of time, many times less then an hour due to all the make up time.

Hello there I just went to the Amtrak Web Site today and I check the Status of the Lake Shore Limited Train #49 from New York Penn Station to Chicago IL and that Train was left on time on 8/21/03 and it was Arrive in Chicago IL this morning 1 hour and 1 minute that is not so bad.

Your right, one hour one minute late isnt bad at all for the Lake Shore, no body missed any connections, they had a longer time for breakfast, a little less time to wait around for Western LD connections, etc, so arriving an hour late actually can be benificial I think for 49.

Just a guees, but I think Railfan was referring to the coaches. Well if my assumption is right the coaches are traditionally found in the rear because, well the closer to the front you are generally associates one with status. Now I personally think sleepers should be at the rear as that airhorn can keep you awake at night (now don't get me wrong, I love trains, but when I want to sleep, I want to sleep). Now one could also argue that the ride at the end of the train is a little bouncier, which it is, but only in that last car or two, this is why you also place the baggage and crew dorm at the rear, so that First Class maintains that same ride they have now. But, this also provides problems for coach folks, the Helicopter room can generat quite a bit of noise, and you'd also put a larger number of people up front closer to the airhorn. I personally think this is something that should be experimented with to see whether First Class on the bottom is a good dea or not.

Ok, and that's a wonderful explanation B51 and I would agree with most of what you said. However there is one problem here, on the NY section of the LSL, the sleepers are on the bottom. The coaches are closest to the engine.

The sleepers where put on the rear, since it was felt that not having to disconnect the Boston engines from the Boston section to put them on the head of the NY section took too much time. Then of course one still had to put the Boston section on the rear of the train and then still and the Express Trak.

Now with the new configuration, the Boston P42's don't need to be cut off the Boston section. They just cut off the P32 AC-DC from the NY section, pull up the Boston section and back it down onto the NY section. So in order to prevent excesive traffic in the sleepers on the NY section, they were moved to the rear, with the crew dorm and the bag on the tail end while the coaches are at the head end of the NY section. After the merger, the NY coaches are now in the middle, just past the cafe car.

Only the Boston sleeper is near the engine, both from Boston to Albany and from Albany to Chicago.

Ok I'm sorry Alan, I'm a numbers kind of guy. Could you (or someone) put down a consist car by car for each segment: BOS-ALB, NYP-ALB and CHI-ALB. Much appreciation.

BOS-ALB

2 P42s

1-2 Baggages

Viewliner

2 Amfleet IIs

Food Service car (so many possibilities)

NYP-ALB

P32DM

3-4 Amfleet II coaches

Diner

2 Viewliners

dorm

baggage

ALB CHI

Combine two, keep the bostons P42s and add a mail car or roadrailer or two on the end.

Ok Battalion, here's the consist from 49 NYP to CHI when I went to the Windy City Railfest back in July. In a real oddity, we also had the same exact consit coming back to NY four days later.

NY Section:
   716  P32 AC-DC Engine

25037  Amfleet II Coach

25056  Amfleet II Coach

25097  Amfleet II Coach

8507  Heritage Diner (Timonsia Rebuild)

62017  Viewliner Sleeper (Majestic View #4910)

62016  Viewliner Sleeper (Lake View #4911)

2514  Heritage Dorm

1731  Express/Baggage Car

Boston Section:

161  P42 Engine

16  P42 Engine

1160  Heritage Baggage

62049  Viewliner Sleeper (Winter View #4920)

82071  Amfleet I Coach

25012  Amfleet II Coach

28008  Amfleet II Amlounge

Combined from Albany

161  P42 Engine

16  P42 Engine

1160  Heritage Baggage

62049  Viewliner Sleeper (Winter View #4920)

82071  Amfleet I Coach

25012  Amfleet II Coach

28008  Amfleet II Amlounge

25037  Amfleet II Coach

25056  Amfleet II Coach

25097  Amfleet II Coach

8507  Heritage Diner (Timonsia Rebuild)

62017  Viewliner Sleeper (Majestic View #4910)

62016  Viewliner Sleeper (Lake View #4911)

2514  Heritage Dorm

1731  Express/Baggage Car

Plus five or six Express Trak / Roadrailers.

How many minutes does the Lake Shore Limited Train need to stop at the Corton-Harmon to pick up the passagers to go to chicago IL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back