Amtrak LD Dining Car Rules on Electronic Devices

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an I phone that is mostly used for Googling Up Travel and Sports Info, Checking Amtrak OTP, Reading AU :) etc.( I Don't use it in the Diner!) I Don't Have a Lap Top, I Pad, Notebook or Whatever but do have a portable DVD/CD Player that I take on Train Trips (and Use With Headphones! :giggle: ) but Seldom Use except @ Night! :giggle: I really Enjoy Meeting Fellow Travelers, Whether in the Stations, in the Lounge, Coaches, Sleepers or Especially the Diner! I Can't Imagine What It's Like to Not want to Meet/Talk with Fellow Travelers, We're All In This Together! Of Course there Are Times when it's Nice to Have a Private room to Relax In, or if Desired Have the Attendant Bring Your Meals to Eat in Your Room, but I'd Rather Eat in the Diner and Take My Chances on Meeting Interesting People, which I Mostly Have! :cool:

As the Old Saying Goes, "To Each Their Own said the Old Maid as She kissed the Cow!" :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't dine with total strangers in a restaurant, but, then again, the host or hostess in restaurants never seat me with strangers, either. In the dining car, that's how it works with community seating.

As for electronic devices, I avoid the situation by not owning a cell phone. I don't want one either. That's why I go on vacations, to get away from the *$^# phone.

You don't sit at table with strangers when you go out to a restaurant do you?
I sometimes sit at the bar with strangers. This includes places where no alcohol is served. If there are three or more folks in my party we'll probably sit at a table so everyone can be included in the conversation, but otherwise I like the bar atmosphere better. I don't exactly go to the bar with the intention of actively socializing but if someone seems interesting or remarks about something I'm into I'll speak up. Otherwise I'll typically be reading a newspaper or magazine or speaking with whoever I came with. I believe my Amtrak dining experience would be greatly improved with a nice tended bar on board.

That's why I go on vacations, to get away from the *$^# phone.
Mobile phones are what allow some of us to take any vacations at all. :excl:

When I'm not feeling social, I sometimes get my meal brought to my room--I'd do it more often, but I try to be sensitive to the fact that the SCA may have other pax in his/her car who truely need their meals delivered. If Amtrak banned electronic devices in the Dining car, I would get most all meals brought to my room. If a bunch of pax did that, I'll bet the 'no electronics in dining room' rule would vanish pretty fast. From OP, I've decided there may have been a problem such as pax who were annoying fellow diners on this particular trip and the answer was to keep the whole class after school instead of dealing with the trouble makers. I make this leap with no facts to support me because I never in all my train riding ever been told that electronic devices were not allowed in the Dining car.

This makes you wonder just how terroristic it must have been to endure a meal in the Diner or relax in the Lounge back in the better days before people were taken hostage by all these portable electronics.

This makes you wonder just how terroristic it must have been to endure a meal in the Diner or relax in the Lounge back in the better days before people were taken hostage by all these portable electronics.
Actually, I see it just the opposite. Without a couple of key electronic devices, I would not be able to take some of the trains I take for business trips. Far from taking me hostage, these little devices get me off the plane and onto the train, where I'd much rather be.

Actually, I see it just the opposite. Without a couple of key electronic devices, I would not be able to take some of the trains I take for business trips. Far from taking me hostage, these little devices get me off the plane and onto the train, where I'd much rather be.
I will give credit on this as anything that can get us off planes and onto trains is good :lol:

I have an I phone that is mostly used for Googling Up Travel and Sports Info, Checking Amtrak OTP, Reading AU :) etc.( I Don't use it in the Diner!) I Don't Have a Lap Top, I Pad, Notebook or Whatever but do have a portable DVD/CD Player that I take on Train Trips (and Use With Headphones! :giggle: ) but Seldom Use except @ Night! :giggle: I really Enjoy Meeting Fellow Travelers, Whether in the Stations, in the Lounge, Coaches, Sleepers or Especially the Diner! I Can't Imagine What It's Like to Not want to Meet/Talk with Fellow Travelers, We're All In This Together! Of Course there Are Times when it's Nice to Have a Private room to Relax In, or if Desired Have the Attendant Bring Your Meals to Eat in Your Room, but I'd Rather Eat in the Diner and Take My Chances on Meeting Interesting People, which I Mostly Have! :cool:

As the Old Saying Goes, "To Each Their Own said the Old Maid as She kissed the Cow!" :wacko:
I'm not particularly religious, but my favorite bit of philosophy about meeting people is from the bible - "Do not hesitate to entertain strangers, for thereby one might entertain angels unaware." (Hebrews 13:2)

Aside from that, though, there's this, in my opinion: Talking on the phone when at the dining table eating a meal with other people - whether you wish they were there or not - is just plain rude.

When I'm not feeling social, I sometimes get my meal brought to my room--I'd do it more often, but I try to be sensitive to the fact that the SCA may have other pax in his/her car who truely need their meals delivered. If Amtrak banned electronic devices in the Dining car, I would get most all meals brought to my room. If a bunch of pax did that, I'll bet the 'no electronics in dining room' rule would vanish pretty fast. From OP, I've decided there may have been a problem such as pax who were annoying fellow diners on this particular trip and the answer was to keep the whole class after school instead of dealing with the trouble makers. I make this leap with no facts to support me because I never in all my train riding ever been told that electronic devices were not allowed in the Dining car.
No, do not conclude that this was trip specific. The announcement started from the first meal.

No, do not conclude that this was trip specific. The announcement started from the first meal.
It's not trip specific, it's LSA specific. And it's wrong! The LSA has no authority to impose that rule.

This is not unique. On the Capitol Limited last week, one of the LSAs banned a laptop on the table for "homeland security" reasons. While my friend was doing work in the lounge car and basically took a stack of papers and his netbook with him, there could have been a better way to state this (i.e., all that clutter on the table might inconvenience the passengers). And yes, the LSA did use "homeland security". Ultimately we were going to take the stuff back to the room anyway but it was just odd.

This is not unique. On the Capitol Limited last week, one of the LSAs banned a laptop on the table for "homeland security" reasons. While my friend was doing work in the lounge car and basically took a stack of papers and his netbook with him, there could have been a better way to state this (i.e., all that clutter on the table might inconvenience the passengers). And yes, the LSA did use "homeland security". Ultimately we were going to take the stuff back to the room anyway but it was just odd.
If he had the laptop in the dining car, while not a homeland security thing, I could see kicking him out. That would not be appropriate to have on the table. If it was at his feet in a computer bag because he was worried about theft, that's different.

If he was in a cafe car, then the LSA was just dead wrong. If your friend was taking up the entire table, he could have and should have been asked to consolidate things so as to allow for others to share the table. But there is no rule against laptops in the lounge car. In fact, it's expected.

Good one, Jim: As the Old Saying Goes, "To Each Their Own said the Old Maid as She kissed the Cow"

I have heard the first part of your comment, however, I have not heard about the Old Maid kissing the Cow??

There were probably a few dining car stewards back then that banned magazines and newspapers :giggle:

If he had the laptop in the dining car, while not a homeland security thing, I could see kicking him out. That would not be appropriate to have on the table. If it was at his feet in a computer bag because he was worried about theft, that's different.

If he was in a cafe car, then the LSA was just dead wrong. If your friend was taking up the entire table, he could have and should have been asked to consolidate things so as to allow for others to share the table. But there is no rule against laptops in the lounge car. In fact, it's expected.
You just watch . This bone head LSA will do this to a off duty DHS agent and get there Butt Kicked ..

You just watch . This bone head LSA will do this to a off duty DHS agent and get there Butt Kicked ..
Ummmmm….no. It doesn’t quite go down that way, son. DHS doesn’t usually set up shop in an Amtrak Diner.

I'm not particularly religious, but my favorite bit of philosophy about meeting people is from the bible - "Do not hesitate to entertain strangers, for thereby one might entertain angels unaware." (Hebrews 13:2)

Aside from that, though, there's this, in my opinion: Talking on the phone when at the dining table eating a meal with other people - whether you wish they were there or not - is just plain rude.
I don't totally disagree--and I don't sit at table yakking on my blackberry. If I get a business call (on vibrate) that I must deal with immmediately, I trundle out to a vestibule. Only happens about once every 10th trip. Where I disagree is that I feel I do not have a social obligation when in a train diner to dine WITH other people. I did not invite nor do I resent my seat mates. If I'm sitting at a bar and the person next to me gets a call and leaves to take it, I don't think he/she is rude; I'm just happy they took the call away from me. In train diner, we might get on great and we might not (had it go both ways), but in either case, we just happen to be at the same table.

At the risk of making this the thread that wouldn't die, I found out another interesting data point last night. My travel partner on recent CZ round trip Chi to Sac, and I were discussing this thread when he told me that on our CZ trip he was told by the LSA that he could not bring his newspaper into the dining room He had gone down to earliest breakfast seating alone (I was not ready to wake up) and not knowing if he would have dining companions at that early hour (he doesn't ride trains often) he grabbed the paper to read. The LSA told him in a pleasant manner before he was seated that he could not read his paper in the diner. What I thought applied to this OP was the reasons given: "We find it slows down the serving process and it can appear rude to your seatmates." He had no problems with not reading the paper, especially as he was then seated with 2 other people, but I thought the reasons were probably the same as for 'banning' electronic devices. However, no general announcements were made in this case.

So...all the gadget junkies here...what did you do before gadgets were invented? :giggle: I own a cellphone but am tiring of having my stepdaughters texting, checking FB (which I'm on) Twitter, whatever when we are sitting down to eat dinner. I also get infuriated when sitting at a green light with the person ahead of me texting and not paying any attention to thier driving. If you have a gadget you just can't seem to live without, at least have common courtesy when/where/how to use it. Two weeks ago a couple my age (48) were showing off thier new gadget. (cellphone, calculator, camera, video camera, emailer, car starter, hand cleaner) :giggle: to a group of us. It literally took them 7 minutes to call someone that I had requested them to call. This was just after the "look at what we got" seminar. I sheepishly asked them after the delay, "are you planning on sending smoke signals for the phone call". Everyone broke out laughing. So I did what us older folks do: I asked them "what's her phone number" and dialed on my cellphone that is minus camera, calculator etc. :lol:

So...all the gadget junkies here...what did you do before gadgets were invented? :giggle: I own a cellphone but am tiring of having my stepdaughters texting, checking FB (which I'm on) Twitter, whatever when we are sitting down to eat dinner. I also get infuriated when sitting at a green light with the person ahead of me texting and not paying any attention to thier driving. If you have a gadget you just can't seem to live without, at least have common courtesy when/where/how to use it. Two weeks ago a couple my age (48) were showing off thier new gadget. (cellphone, calculator, camera, video camera, emailer, car starter, hand cleaner) :giggle: to a group of us. It literally took them 7 minutes to call someone that I had requested them to call. This was just after the "look at what we got" seminar. I sheepishly asked them after the delay, "are you planning on sending smoke signals for the phone call". Everyone broke out laughing. So I did what us older folks do: I asked them "what's her phone number" and dialed on my cellphone that is minus camera, calculator etc. :lol:
That's why I got an iPod Touch instead of SmartPhone to replace my old PDA. I want to use my phone for just calling or texting. Though I do have my grocery shopping list on it and do use the tip calculator.

Last edited by a moderator:
So...all the gadget junkies here...what did you do before gadgets were invented? :giggle:
The "bad" thing is I'm about the age that by the time I started traveling, the gadgets were starting to come full force. :lol: When I was younger, though, I didn't acquire them as comparably often as I do now, I still had books to read (plus I was in a private vehicle anyway).

These days, though... Yeah, if I have them (camera's out of commission currently), I have my iPhone on me for stuff like text messages (plus I bought the thing less than six months ago, I'm still slightly paranoid about the marginal theft risk) and a separate still camera in case a picture opportunity comes up. When I'm seated with others in the diner, I tend to fiddle awkwardly with my phone (spinning/rotating it with my hands, not apps) if I can't be drawn into a conversation (maybe my problem there is that I don't run into people from here often enough when I have diner meals. :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back