Amtrak looking for a WiFi carrier

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something tells me that they are not going to be able to keep the thing running. I mean if they can't keep the PA system working in every car right now, how are they going to keep them connected to the internet.

Will the Wifi setup be more or less complex than the coffee pots?

Will the Wifi setup be more or less complex than the coffee pots?
The Wifi may be handled totally by the contractor. In theory it should be less complex than the coffee pots; you don't need to re-fill the router with internets every morning.

Something tells me that they are not going to be able to keep the thing running. I mean if they can't keep the PA system working in every car right now, how are they going to keep them connected to the internet.
Maybe they'll start with a new internet setup and not a 30+ year old one?

Just hope the same department responsible for the toasters in the kitchen, has nothing to do with the wi-fi...........

I can't wait to welcome Amtrak to the 1990s ;)
Well, 2000s anyway. There sure wasn't much public WiFi in 1999, and there sure wasn't any outside a major city. I actually used a cellular modem on the Sunset Limited back in 1993 to log onto the GEnie online service at a ripping 9600 bps. GEnie was text only, so the speed wasn't too big of a problem.

Re: the coffee pots and toasters, it's actually pretty hard to maintain equipment that has moving parts and/or liquids on a moving platform that vibrates. They also have to be engineered for safety -- the Kaprun fire was caused by a domestic heater installed in the funicular car. Over 7 years, vibration displaced a heater coil which caught fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back