Amtrak Metropolitan Lounges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with Amtrak making sure that all the extras that come with sleeper accommodations are advertised number of times. And did you know that the Metro Lounge at Chicago's Union Station has shower facilities? Come on Amtrak, what a perk. Who knew?! I know, it is one shower in the Men's Bathroom and one in the Women's Bathroom...but two total is better than never hearing about them.
Hopefully Amtrak reads these comments and appreciates that the comments were written in our support of Amtrak snd to make it EVEN better than it is presently.

Recently rode the SL from LAX to Houston. While dining and visiting with other diners during the trip, we found 4 individuals who got on in LAX, had sleeper tickets, and had no idea there was a Metropolitan Lounge. I went to the website and looked at "Features" under the LAX station. It does say Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge. However, these were either first-time riders or one who hadn't taken the train in over 30 years. And even if they had seen it under "Features" they wouldn't know what it was and wouldn't know it's for sleeper passengers only because the website doesn't specify this. So how would they even know? Seems that Amtrak could make it well known to all sleeper passengers when they buy a ticket that if they choose, they have a specific lounge available if they're boarding in a Met Lounge station. To a person they all said it would have been nice to have known this especially for what they paid for the ticket.
Another perk which we didn’t learn about until after we’d taken more than a few trips was that arriving sleeping car passengers who are continuing on by coach are entitled to wait in the Metropolitan Lounge until their train is called away. Waiting in Chicago Union Station’s Metropolitan Lounge is much preferred to waiting in the old south waiting room when it is jammed to capacity with people waiting for several different trains to begin boarding. (We know because, back before we knew better, we were jammed in there, too.)

Last edited:
Another perk which we didn’t learn about until after we’d taken more than a few trips was that arriving sleeping car passengers who are continuing on by coach are entitled to wait in the Metropolitan Lounge until their train is called away. Waiting in Chicago Union Station’s Metropolitan Lounge is much preferred to waiting in the old south waiting room when it is jammed to capacity with people waiting for several different trains to begin boarding. (We know because, back before we knew better, we were jammed in there, too.)
And furthermore, if you're riding coach to a same-day connection on which you'll be in a sleeper, you can wait for your coach departure in the lounge, if available.

Agree with Amtrak making sure that all the extras that come with sleeper accommodations are advertised number of times. And did you know that the Metro Lounge at Chicago's Union Station has shower facilities? Come on Amtrak, what a perk. Who knew?! I know, it is one shower in the Men's Bathroom and one in the Women's Bathroom...but two total is better than never hearing about them.
Hopefully Amtrak reads these comments and appreciates that the comments were written in our support of Amtrak snd to make it EVEN better than it is presently.
There are two showers in the Men's room. You need to get the key from the front desk and they keep some sort of security document (e.g. a driver's license) which you get back when you return the key.

They also give you a plastic bag with a couple of towels and wash cloths. There are soap, shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the shower. There's a bin for used towels and the bag is handy for carrying your dirty clothes. I've used both showers, they are very large and spacious (plenty of room for a wheel chair if needed; I'm pretty sure they are fully ADA compliant.)

I've never been there or asked anyone about it, but I'm sure there are at least two showers in the Women's bathroom as well.

My first sleeper trip, LSL connecting to coach EB to MSP, it wasn't an issue because we were very late and the held the EB for a few minutes while one of the OBS people walked us to the waiting EB. We never went inside the building. However, on the way home, I had no idea the Metropolitan lounge existed, and I waited in the extremely packed waiting room with the LSL and the CONO passengers (it had an equipment problem and left about two hours late.

Loved the sleeper anyway, and on my next trip (LSL connecting to a sleeper on the EB to SEA) we were on time, and I discovered the old Metropolitan Lounge while wandering around CUS. On the way home (with a multi-day stop-over in MSP and so coach from there to CUS), the Metropolitan Lounge had vanished

Then I found out about the spiffy new one with showers and snacks and a big luggage storage room! I asked because I was connecting from a coach to a sleeper, and they told me anyone with same-day travel on a sleeper was eligible to use the Metro Lounge, even if they are neither arriving nor departing from that particular station on a sleeper. For example, Boston to Atlanta, NER coach to NYP, Crescent sleeper to Atlanta, I was eligible to use the Metro Lounges in both Boston and NYP.

For many years, we were also unaware that Los Angeles Union Station had a Metropolitan Lounge for departing/arriving sleeping car passengers. Instead, we waited in the main waiting room which is quite spectacular although during the summer it can get quite crowded and warm.

It was being stuck in the Chicago Union Station south waiting room that we most dreaded. It was someone on AU (and not Amtrak) who finally told us that we were entitled to wait in the Metropolitan Lounge. Now, whenever a Red Cap drives us passed the crowded south waiting room on the way to our train, we bless the day that we joined AU!

There are two showers in the Men's room. You need to get the key from the front desk and they keep some sort of security document (e.g. a driver's license) which you get back when you return the key.

They also give you a plastic bag with a couple of towels and wash cloths. There are soap, shampoo and conditioner dispensers in the shower. There's a bin for used towels and the bag is handy for carrying your dirty clothes. I've used both showers, they are very large and spacious (plenty of room for a wheel chair if needed; I'm pretty sure they are fully ADA compliant.)

I've never been there or asked anyone about it, but I'm sure there are at least two showers in the Women's bathroom as well.
Thanks John for adding the specifics on the showers at Chicago's Metropolitan Lounge. It's more than a "nice to know." It's a real perk if you are traveling thru Chicago and need a refreshing shower.

Thanks John for adding the specifics on the showers at Chicago's Metropolitan Lounge. It's more than a "nice to know." It's a real perk if you are traveling thru Chicago and need a refreshing shower.
Thank you. I was planning to get a one day pass to the Lounge on my next trip and was wondering if they provided towels. Yipeee!

Back