Amtrak mid 90's loco paint scheme

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This was the "Pepsi-Can" scheme used on the Dash 8-40B locomotives. They were later repainted to the current Phase 4 scheme, which is the silver with purple stripe.

It should also be noted that 501 and 502 were not repainted into Phase IV, but instead were renumbered CDTX 2051 & 2052 and painted into Amtrak California colors.

so many of these former "pepsi can" locos are used on the long hauls today? i thought all of the LD trains today used p42's, but i saw a pic on the net with a different loco hauling the coast starlight around thanksgiving--appeared to be like the pepsi can loco (in body shape, but not colors)

Yea, what you saw was a "Pepsi-Can" loco (the Dash 8-40B) in its newer paint scheme. They don't tend to get out on the road much other then the starlight. They frequent #11/14. You might once and a while catch them on another route if they need service/maintenance.

MontanaJim said:
so many of these former "pepsi can" locos are used on the long hauls today? i thought all of the LD trains today used p42's, but i saw a pic on the net with a different loco hauling the coast starlight around thanksgiving--appeared to be like the pepsi can loco (in body shape, but not colors)
They are usually used in switcher service at various terminals. However, they'll occasionally be pressed into road service if Amtrak is short of power. I've been on the occasional train in the last couple of years powered by a Dash 8, but not too often.

I think they've made a number of trips on the SW Chief over the past few months. I know they've also been seen every now and then on Hiawatha's to MKE. They also will hit Silver Service and the Sunset (when it runs east of NOL) to swap out the switcher every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back