Amtrak model radius question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakCrescent20

Service Attendant
I'm starting to model Amtrak, and I was wondering which Walthers Amtrak models can run with 18" radius curves.

I know that Amfleet I and II cars will run, and I was able to adapt Viewliners to run by removing a piece of plastic next to the trucks. Would the Horizon or Superliners run? Also if you know anything about which commuter equipment (Bombardier multi levels, Metra gallery cars etc.) will run with less than 24" curves, please post.

I'm starting to model Amtrak, and I was wondering which Walthers Amtrak models can run with 18" radius curves.I know that Amfleet I and II cars will run, and I was able to adapt Viewliners to run by removing a piece of plastic next to the trucks. Would the Horizon or Superliners run? Also if you know anything about which commuter equipment (Bombardier multi levels, Metra gallery cars etc.) will run with less than 24" curves, please post.
I've been out of model railroading for awhile, but I want to get back in and have been building up a Superliner fleet myself. The box on them indicates a 24" radius curve. For me, the the largest I could go is 22 and while testing them on a small piece of 18' track, they seemed to handle it althought it would have to be very slow. I also have a athearn heritage set of cars and I had to run them on 22" as well. 18" was doable, but it had to be very slow or they would jump. I think it had to do more that the couplers were attached to the truck and not the body of the car.

Dan

I have run my viewliner and amfleets on 18" curves but I wouldn't advise it. you have to have A LOT of room on both sides of the tack for it.

peter

If you must run Superliners on 18" r track, I suggest you get Kato Nscale models. They look even better on Ntrak 22" r track.

As for commuter cars, Athearn had some nice Toronto type models. ConCor made some gallery cars. Both may be hard to find at the LHS. Kato makes the best F40. Athearn made a F59 but it tends to be a too fast runner. You'd be running an Amtrak Bullet train.

Back