AMTRAK NEEDS YOUR HELP -- NOW

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent a note to Sen Harry Reid - Nevada. Our other Nevada Senator John Ensign is a sock-puppet for the Bush administration.

I would send a note to my senator, but wait, the service that Amtrak DOES provide in this state (NE) as it possibly the most inconvenient times. Amtrak is of little use to most residents in Nebraska. Now if there was daily service a few times a day between Lincoln and Omaha I would be all for Amtrak, but there's not.

I think there are several routes that could use 12-hour offsets.

I am often humored by the inaccurately named "Coast Starlight". Its really the "Coast Daylight" given its schedule. Now if there were a real "Coast Starlight", the idea of taking the train overnight from the Bay Area to LA and back would be attractive. As it is, it burns entire working days each way.

Given the popularity anyway, I think it would work and could easilty improve route amortization.

Alas, we need equipment for that. A fallacy in many of those negative Amtrak reports.

Yes it is early in the morning when we used to board the train in Hastings Nebraska, and the middle of the night when we got off. It is the same in Hutchinson, Kansas, but at least there is a train to catch. I have e-mailed both KS Senators and Mr. Bush.

Guest said:
Sent a note to Sen Harry Reid - Nevada. Our other Nevada Senator John Ensign is a sock-puppet for the Bush administration.
I hope you still sent a copy of the note to Ensign anyway. I sent a copy of mine (since I'm also a Nevada resident) to him. Even though he usually doesn't respond positively (or at all) like Reid does, it doesn't hurt to send a few letters his way to tell him that Nevadans do support and want Amtrak.

Arkarch said:
I am often humored by the inaccurately named "Coast Starlight". Its really the "Coast Daylight" given its schedule. Now if there were a real "Coast Starlight", the idea of taking the train overnight from the Bay Area to LA and back would be attractive. As it is, it burns entire working days each way.
I agree with you entirely. As the schedule currently stands, most standard travelers prefer to take a San Joaquin to Los Angeles (even with the thruway bus conenctions) since it shaves off quite a bit of travel time, at least a few hours depending on the departure city in the Bay Area.

If it was possible to AFFORDABLY board an all sleeping car train in San Francisco around 6:30 at night and wake up in Los Angeles around 6:30 the next morning it would surely be a big hit with business travelers since it would allow them to unwind without wasting precious time. A 6:30am arrival time into Los Angeles and San Francisco on the reverse schedule would allow travelers to plan for 8:00am workdays in either city.

While Amtrak will probably never establish such a service itself, it is possible that the State of California could do so. While they are currently planning to operate a San Francisco to Los Angeles Coast Daylight service on a schedule just a few hours different from the current Coast Starlight service, I think it would be worthwile to let them know that people would use and appreciate an overnight service with all sleeping cars. Of course the state would need to have California-style sleepers designed or purchase some new Superliner sleepers if they could still be made/ordered.

Guest said:
I would send a note to my senator, but wait, the service that Amtrak DOES provide in this state (NE) as it possibly the most inconvenient times. Amtrak is of little use to most residents in Nebraska. Now if there was daily service a few times a day between Lincoln and Omaha I would be all for Amtrak, but there's not.
If Amtrak had additional support, they'd be able to run more service, thus enabling Nebraska to have better times. But, right now there's only one route through there, and the train has to be somewhere in the middle of the night. Nebraska just happens to be the unlucky place.

If you "would be all for Amtrak" if it ran more service through Nebraska, why not write your senators/representatives in support of Amtrak, so they have a chance to provide more service? It's not going to happen if you just sit around and wait for it.

Also (and this note is to everyone), it's also a good idea to write your state representatives, senators, governor, etc. They can often pass resolutions in support of continued Amtrak funding (as Montana did recently). While not binding, a legislative action on behalf of Amtrak can carry more weight than a couple of letters by private citizens.

Because I don't think spending the money to add the service is a good idea. It's not like I can go to Minneapolis or St. Louis or Kansas City, it's Chicago or Denver.

We already have Greyhound and airports and I think they serve the needs of most people in this state. And frankly the cost of Amtrak is on par with Greyhoud AND some of the airlines.

I wrote e-mails to my 2 senators of NM and 1 House of Rep., and Bush, too. Here's the reply from Senator Bingaman:

February 16, 2005

[email protected]

Electronic Mail,

Dear :

Thank you for your letter regarding federal funding for

Amtrak. I appreciate knowing your views.

Throughout my tenure in the Senate I have been a strong

supporter of federal rail and transit funding, and I understand the

importance of rail travel to New Mexico communities. I oppose

any cuts to the two passenger rail lines that run through our state.

Funding for America's passenger railroad has barely been enough

to keep the system operating on a year-to-year basis, and has been

insufficient to meet its longer-term public service mission and

capital obligations. If Amtrak continues to be under-funded, it will

ultimately result in even greater costs to this country as the

passenger rail network deteriorates due to short-term budget

constraints.

The President submitted a fiscal year 2006 budget that

would eliminate all Amtrak service to New Mexico. His budget

proposes a cut of $840 million in Amtrak funding. I strongly

support increased funding for Amtrak, and believe that the loss of

services in New Mexico would mean a loss of economic

development opportunities. I will do all that I can to ensure that

does not happen.

Again, thank you for your letter. Please keep in touch

regarding this or any other matter of importance to you.

Sincerely,

JEFF BINGAMAN

United States Senator

Following 9/11 the entire airline system was shut down. Considering the importance of our transportation infrastructure, it's ludicrous to imagine America without passenger service.

Truth: The Bush administration has two very profitable faces: (1) the war profiteers that are enjoying record profits from the "wars" and are now looking forward to feasting on Social Security funds and (2) the millions of end-of-the-world religious zealots who care nothing about longterm programs because the "rapture" will soon be upon them - and they vote for their man.

I have conference call with the staff of a US Senator's office. Immediately following the phone call, I am faxing letters I have collected from people I know who are equally concerned to these staff members so they can send a file to the Senator in DC. I've never done this before, and I hope I accomplish something!

Aloha

Received this reply from Tim Carson (Senator Ed Case)

Aloha Eric,

Thanks for directing the letter to appropriate person. We will note it in

our system.

You can count on the Congressman's support on Amtrak. As you know, he signed

a letter last year to the appropriators urging increased funding for Amtrak.

There will likely be similar opportunities this year given our tight budget

situation.

Thanks again. tim

Nothing yet from the other's

Back