Amtrak Northeast Corridor Train Tracks.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They run on whatever track they need to and conditions warrant. The corridor has sections with two tracks, three tracks, four tracks, and even a few short areas with five or six tracks. So its simply not possible to predict what track an express train might be running on.

So it just depends on how much traffic is running, what stops the train has to make, is work taking place, and probably a few other factors.

Bottom line, expect a train on any track at any time!

Acela Express trains run on whatever track is available and the dispatcher decides is the correct track.

In some places there are only 2 tracks, so they have to ride on either track 1 or track 2. In other places there are as many as 6 tracks, so they could ride on any of those tracks. It just depends on the circumstances.

When there are only 2 tracks, the Acela Express train will run on both sides (northbound/southbound accordingly). In a 3 track situation the Acela Express will most likely run on the middle track so it can easily pass slower trains. If there are 4 tracks the Acela will usually run on the 2 middle tracks. Running on the most center/middle tracks avoids being stuck behind slower trains (like commuter and slow Amtrak trains) and keeps passengers away from the danger of high-speed Acelas while waiting on a platform on the 2 most outer tracks. That's the simplist way I can put it, but otherwise the NEC track structure is very complicated.

There was a very good diagram of the layout of the NEC in the March 2003 (or somewhere in that timeframe) of Trains. Another useful guide, if you can get your hands on one, is an employee timetable.

battalion51 said:
There was a very good diagram of the layout of the NEC in the March 2003 (or somewhere in that timeframe) of the NEC.
Hmm, I'm thinking that you meant Trains Magazine and not the "NEC" that I highlighted above. :) :p

And I think that you are right, it was March.

On what track does the CSX Freight Trains runing on the Northeast Corridor during the Freight Train runs?

Just like we told you when you asked about which track Amtrak might be using, it's the same answer. It just depends on the dispatcher, trackwork, and other trains. Any type of train can run on any track at any time of day, depending on need.

Does CSX even have trackage rights on the NEC? I know NS does on the Philly-Washington main, but I dont know about CSX having any trackage rights.

CSX does not use Amtrak's NEC mainline -- they use their own tracks (former B&O Royal Blue Route - WAS to PHL and former Reading NY Mainline - PHL to Jersey City).

Don't forget the old CNJ line from Somerville to Jersey City. The Reading relied on the CNJ to get trains into New York. If you've ever seen ads for the Crusader, or any of the Royal Blue Route trains, they clearly mention the Jersey Central.

This Morning is snowing and is the Trains will be runing in slow speed on the Northeast Corridor this morning?

No the train will be running at normal speeds, unless there is a problem. Trains generally don't slow down for snow, unless it's very deep.

When I go to watch Amtrak and Metro North Railroad Trains at the Mamaroneck Railroad Station in Mamaroneck NY I see The MTA Metro North Express Trains runing on local and Express Tracks and Amtrak Regional Trains on Express and also sometimes even on the Local Tracks and the Acela Express Trains on the Express Tracks and also Last Year I saw a North Bound Acela Express Train on the Local Track.

AmtrakRailfan,

You are right, :) the trains can run on any track over there regardless of whether they are local or express. Right now in fact you'd probably see a lot of the northbound express trains running on the local tracks in the morning.

This is because they are doing track work at Greenwich and the southbound local track is out of service right now. That leaves them with only 3 tracks, instead of the normal 4. So Amtrak often ends up running on the local track, even though they are not making any local stops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back